• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alterra moves ahead (Mammoth, Squaw, Deer Valley, former Intrawest)

marzNC

Angel Diva
The multi-resort company that combined Mammoth and Squaw/Alpine with the former Intrawest location has finally announced the new company name: Alterra Mountain Company. KSL owned Squaw/Alpine. HCC is the owner of Aspen/Snowmass, but that resort remains independent. The purchases in 2017 that created Alterra included Mammoth, Intrawest, and Deer Valley. David Perry, Pres. and COO of Alterra, was an exec at Aspen before moving to the new company.

https://www.alterramtnco.com

* * * 1/11/2018 Press Release

Announcing Alterra Mountain Company: A Family of 12 Iconic Mountain Destinations in North America
Formed by Affiliates of KSL Capital Partners and Henry Crown and Company

DENVER, CO, January 11, 2018 - The joint venture of affiliates of KSL Capital Partners and Henry Crown and Company that curated 12 premier destinations in North America, now has a name. Announcing Alterra Mountain Company, a new destination group that is changing the landscape of the mountain resort industry.

Alterra Mountain Company, headquartered in Denver, Colorado is comprised of 12 destinations, including the world’s largest heli-skiing operation. Alterra Mountain Company was created when affiliates of KSL Capital Partners, owners of Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, and Henry Crown and Company purchased Intrawest, Mammoth Resorts, and Deer Valley Resort in 2017.

“Alterra Mountain Company is made up of unique mountain destinations, each with a personality and spirit that has delighted visitors for generations. Our vision at Alterra Mountain Company is to protect and enhance what makes each destination special, inviting guests back to their favorite mountain, and enticing them to visit new destinations on their bucket list,” said David Perry, President and COO, Alterra Mountain Company. “We respect and continue to learn from the pioneers and leaders that built these iconic locations and paved the way before us, as we push the boundaries and innovate for our future.”

Alterra Mountain Company’s destinations offer premium ski, snowboard and all-season activities for those who seek adventure, freedom, and fun in the great outdoors. The destinations that make up Alterra Mountain Company are spread throughout five states and three Canadian provinces: Steamboat and Winter Park in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Stratton in Vermont; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Tremblant in Quebec, Blue Mountain in Ontario; Deer Valley in Utah; and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia.
. . .

For background, here is the 2017 thread when purchases as being announced:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...n-and-ksl-buy-intrawest-and-more.21777/page-3

marzNC

Angel Diva
I only quoted the first part of the press release. The comment at the beginning of the Snowbrains article is probably based on this part of the release:

"About the Name and Logo

The name Alterra is a fusion of the words altitude and terrain/terra, paying homage to the mountains and communities that form the backbone of the company.

In the coming months Alterra Mountain Company will announce new season pass products that will provide access to all of our existing mountains, plus many additional benefits, sure to please skiers and riders. "

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
We were just talking today about next year's pass - what will it include and what will it cost. I guess we have the answer to what it will include. I'm disappointed that it won't include the Aspen areas, but not surprised due to the cost of everything at Aspen. Including Aspen would probably raise the price of the pass. Of course, they could do what the Vail pass does, allowing unlimited skiing in most areas but limiting Vail/Beaver Creek to 10 days. That's the less expensive Epic Pass. There is also one that allows unlimited everywhere, but it costs more. Maybe they'll add Aspen in later on.

I wonder if they will sell variations, such as a less expensive pass which only includes the areas we can ski currently.

I guess we'll find out in a couple of months.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's already been announced that Aspen/Snowmass will stay in the Mountain Collective for 2018-19. After that, who knows?

I'm pretty sure there are people who have season passes at Deer Valley that would not appreciate being forced to spend more for a multi-resort Alterra pass. But based on the model what happened at Stowe after the purchase by Vail and getting added to the full Epic Pass, I suppose an all-resort Alterra pass could end up less than the current cost of a season pass at the Alterra destination resorts like Mammoth, Squaw, DV, or Tremblant.

mustski

Angel Diva
Our Cali4nia pass is only $699 and has no blackout dates. I suspect that will go up. It might be worth it. We’ll see.

Jilly

Staff member
This is the first year that WB is fully integrated with Epic. So you had the opportunity to buy an Epic Pass, A local Whistler-Blackcomb Pass and the Edge Cards were still available. The Epic pass even with the exchange wasn't much more than the full WB pass.

So it will be interesting to see what they do. I think giving a limited number of days at Aspen Resorts would be a nice perk. Without adding anything extra to the full Alterra pass.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
large

Hmmm. Thats the Trademark. Kind of simple. First thought: Alterra Coffee. 2nd thought- I've actually skied a lot of the mountains ;) (ok, not but not via helicopter)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting that the MCP will continue to exist in addition to the Ikon Pass. Not all the MCP resorts are joining Ikon. In particular, Taos and Telluride aren't in Ikon.

According to the FAQ, the Cali4nia, Rocky Mountain, and MAX Pass are history after the 2017-18 season.

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/faq/

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Here are the resorts the IKON pass will cover:

California: Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain, Big Bear Mountain Resort
Colorado: Aspen Snowmass,Steamboat, Winter Park Resort, Copper Mountain, Eldora Mountain Resort
Maine: Sugarloaf, Sunday River
Montana: Big Sky Resort
New Hampshire: Loon Mountain Resort
Utah: Deer Valley Resort, Alta Ski Area, Snowbird
Vermont: Stratton, Killington Resort
West Virginia: Snowshoe
Wyoming: Jackson Hole Mountain Resort
Ontario, Canada: Blue Mountain
Quebec, Canada: Tremblant
British Columbia: CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures - Access to special benefits to be announced soon

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am so bummed that the max pass is going away! It was such an amazing deal for New England skiers.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am so bummed that the max pass is going away! It was such an amazing deal for New England skiers.
Once Intrawest was purchased, it was unlikely that the MAX Pass would continue unchanged. Guess the ORDA mountains (Whiteface, Gore, Belleayre) are likely to be on their own again.

As a traveler who doesn't live in the northeast, having Big Sky in the Ikon Pass for 2018-19 is better than the 2017-18 MAX Pass. Won't be surprised if Ikon pass holders will only get a limited number of days at the "partner" locations that are independent resorts not owned by Alterra. The MAX Pass included 5 days per location, with the option to include a season pass at one ski area.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Finally ... real competition for the Epic Pass.

But what happened to Whistler/Blackcomb?

Can't wait to see the cost of the various options.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Isn't Whistler/Blackcomb part of Vail now, and so would be part of the Epic group?

Huge list of resorts...

marzNC

Angel Diva
Finally ... real competition for the Epic Pass.

But what happened to Whistler/Blackcomb?

Can't wait to see the cost of the various options.
WB was bought by Vail a few years ago, so in the Epic Pass. What that your question?

Saw somewhere that Vail sold 800,000 Epic Passes. The number before was 650,000 before Stowe was added. Wonder what some flatlanders who bought one are thinking given the lack of snow in CO and Tahoe so far this season?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly