• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alterra moves ahead (Mammoth, Squaw, Deer Valley, former Intrawest)

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here are the resorts the IKON pass will cover:

California: Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain, Big Bear Mountain Resort
Colorado: Aspen Snowmass,Steamboat, Winter Park Resort, Copper Mountain, Eldora Mountain Resort
Maine: Sugarloaf, Sunday River
Montana: Big Sky Resort
New Hampshire: Loon Mountain Resort
Utah: Deer Valley Resort, Alta Ski Area, Snowbird
Vermont: Stratton, Killington Resort
West Virginia: Snowshoe
Wyoming: Jackson Hole Mountain Resort
Ontario, Canada: Blue Mountain
Quebec, Canada: Tremblant
British Columbia: CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures - Access to special benefits to be announced soon

Definitely speaks to me with friends to visit in Utah. The MAXX has Solitude/Brighton which are good. But the three listed are favorites of mine.

marzNC

Angel Diva
That's just weird!
Not including Pico matches up with the fact that the owners of Deer Valley didn't include Solitude in the sale to Alterra.

The partner locations in the Ikon Pass are meant to be at a certain level in terms of being "ski resorts." Pico doesn't fit that model. But given that this is the first announcement, things could change in the coming months.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There are 11 partner resorts. The only one that isn't really a destination resort for people who fly for ski vacations is Eldora. Was Eldora on the Rocky Mountain Pass? Are there expansion plans for Eldora?

Montana: Big Sky
Wyoming: Jackson Hole
Utah: Alta, Snowbird
Colorado: Aspen/Snowmass/Highlands/Buttermilk, Copper, Eldora
Vermont: Killington
New Hampshire: Loon Mountain

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, on the surface of it, from a New England/Northeast perspective I think the Max Pass had more offerings. This leaves quite a few ski areas "homeless" as far as being part of a multi-pass: Pico, Okemo, Sunapee, Wachusett, Whiteface, the other NY mountains etc. Not to mention Solitude and Brighton and Bachelor.
On the surface I don't like it as well, but I'll have to reserve judgment until the pricing and other details come out--like how many days will you get at the partner resorts etc.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yeah, on the surface of it, from a New England/Northeast perspective I think the Max Pass had more offerings. This leaves quite a few ski areas "homeless" as far as being part of a multi-pass: Pico, Okemo, Sunapee, Wachusett, Whiteface, the other NY mountains etc. Not to mention Solitude and Brighton and Bachelor.
On the surface I don't like it as well, but I'll have to reserve judgment until the pricing and other details come out--like how many days will you get at the partner resorts etc.

Not quite the same as a multi-resort pass that covers more than one region, but Solitude and Brighton have been part of the SLC SuperPass for years. The SuperPass includes LCC/BCC and can be a good way to sample Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, and Brighton for a first trip to Utah.

For someone who lives in NY/NJ, the Ski3 Pass for the ORDA mountains (Whiteface, Gore, Belleayre) is a decent deal. Relatively easy driving going north on I-87 from the NYC area.

rhymeandreason

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The 2017-18 season pass for Deer Valley was $2300. If the Ikon is offered anywhere near Epic pricing ($859), it will be significantly cheaper. I wonder how this will affect DV’s policy of limiting ticket sales? Will they further restrict tickets?

DV likely makes more money per visit from the one off visitor than the season ticket holder, so they won’t want to further limit daily sales. DV loyalists were already waiting to pounce on any sign of change in ski experience after the sale and my guess is that they won’t be pleased.

At over $2000, I would have never entertained a season pass at DV, but at less than $1000, I gotta admit, it’s something to think about!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm just hoping that those bumped out of the Max Pass will band together in some way. The past two years I have been tempted to get a Max Pass add on, but unsure of time constraints kept saying "next year". Sigh.

Jilly

Staff member
Lots of speculation going on. I've heard that the Montenguard pass at Tremblant is still going to be available next year.

I suspect the Ikon pass will be a separate add on like the Max Pass. But more news coming they say.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The way the ski resorts on the MCP keep local season pass holders from buying the MCP is to have the 50% discount for additional days beyond the first two as a perk for people who buy a premium season pass.

I know there are people in the northeast who bought the MAX Pass as a stand-alone because they wanted to go exploring and were unlikely to be able ski more than 5 days at a "home mountain" as a result. Meaning they didn't buy the MAX Pass as an add-on to any season pass. That had to hurt some of the smaller ski areas. Can't remember which season the MAX Pass went beyond Intrawest, Boyne, and Powdr. But the list had too many diverse ski areas to be sustainable for long.

The Powder Alliance has quietly continued to offer 3 days to 15 other ski areas as a perk for buying a season pass. Added Bogus Basin in Idaho for 2017-18. Most of the Powder Alliance locations are in the western U.S. but there are a few international locations as well. Bridger and Crested Butte are in the Powder Alliance.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today’s Denver Post has an interesting article on this: https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/...in-co-ikon-pass/&utm_campaign=roundup20180126

Sorry for ugly link - I’m on my ipad and it’s not playing nice for pretty links.

As Copper season pass holders, we’ll be keeping a VERY close eye on this. We haven’t bothered with the RMSP because it hasn’t included enough of the right resorts for the price, but - Jackson Hole? Aspen? Discounts at Mammoth so we could ski with my brother’s family? OMG. And DH will be ecstatic at the possibility of discounted heli-skiing.

I am salivating at the possibilities.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There are 11 partner resorts. The only one that isn't really a destination resort for people who fly for ski vacations is Eldora. Was Eldora on the Rocky Mountain Pass? Are there expansion plans for Eldora?

Montana: Big Sky
Wyoming: Jackson Hole
Utah: Alta, Snowbird
Colorado: Aspen/Snowmass/Highlands/Buttermilk, Copper, Eldora
Vermont: Killington
New Hampshire: Loon Mountain
Based on reading the last article, I see why Eldora is included. Copper, Eldora, and Killington are Powdr properties. The MAX Pass started with Intrawest, Boyne, and Powdr, then added assorted other places later on. Big Sky, Sugarloaf, Sunday River, and Loon are associated with Boyne.

Alta, Snowbird, JH, Aspen are independent and seem to be happy to cooperate with other ski resorts in assorted ways. Aspen, Alta, and JH were in the MCP from the beginning. The owners of Aspen help make the creation of Alterra possible, but kept Aspen a separate business. The ownership of Snowbird is indpendent of Powdr, which is owned by the same family.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So basically, four New England areas have been dropped: Okemo, Pico, Sunapee, & Wachusett. It'll be interesting to see if any of them partner with one of the other passes.

mustski

Angel Diva
I suspect that any "epic" type pass that includes DV will cost right around $2000. I suspect there will be a menu of choices for season pass combos and that the IKON pass will be more similar to the MCP in structure.

Jilly

Staff member
That's what I'm thinking....more like the MAX pass with # days at each...But there is lots of ideas out there on the internet!!

mustski

Angel Diva
That's what I'm thinking....more like the MAX pass with # days at each...But there is lots of ideas out there on the internet!!
Well and, if it's on the internet, it must be true! :wink: There is certainly lots of speculation!

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The loss of okemo, sunapee, wachusett, Pico and the NY resorts is what is bumming me out.

I’m totally with you. We are having the best time with Max Pass. It was perfect for a couple of days/short weekends near NYC with a few longer ones upstate and in VT. Super bummed.

rhymeandreason

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I suspect that any "epic" type pass that includes DV will cost right around $2000. I suspect there will be a menu of choices for season pass combos and that the IKON pass will be more similar to the MCP in structure.

This sounds right to me. It depends on how they are trying to appeal to skiers who are want to visit multiple mountains and/or skiers who have a home mountain. You can sort of tell who the mountain is aiming at by looking at their pricing for a season pass. For example, Snowbird, Mammoth, and Steamboat are in the $1200-1500 range while Aspen, Jackson Hole and Deer Valley are in the $2000 range.

Unless Aspen, JH, or DV is your home mountain, it’s not likely that you would ever ski enough days there to buy a season pass. Season pass owners probably own or seasonally rent and they are relatively price inelastic compared to the skiers who ski at multiple places. Lowering the season pass prices at these resorts doesn’t make sense for Alterra.

Alterra is best served by attracting skiers who are excited to get a few days at a variety of places. My guess is that each mountain will keep its own season pass, priced close to 2017/18 pricing, with the added benefit of a couple of days at each mountain, perhaps with blackout dates. There might be a premium tier with a couple of more days at each mountain without blackout dates. And finally, one that is a sampler without a primary mountain.

Just a guess, of course.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Rocky Mountain Super Pass was unlimited skiing at Winter Park, Copper and I think Eldora? with 6 days at Steamboat and I think 2-3 days free at a handful of other places, like Crested Butte and maybe Taos?

So they’ll want to keep all those folks and not jack the price up too much, presumably. I’m guessing they’ll do some sort of tiered options.

mustski

Angel Diva
The Cali4nia pass was Mammoth, BBMR, and June for $799 early season pricing and Squalpine was similar ($899?) DV, on the other hand, is somewhere around $2300. Altabird, Jackson Hole, Aspen/Snowmass, Big Sky, and quite a few others are listed as "partners" because they are not owned by Alterra. There is going to be a few different options and combinations. Stay tuned.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly