• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alterra moves ahead (Mammoth, Squaw, Deer Valley, former Intrawest)

marzNC

Angel Diva
The first capital investment at Deer Valley since the buyout by Alterra in 2017 isn't exactly making big news. The Homestake fixed-grid quad will be replaced by a detachable quad. That brings the total number of high-speed lifts to 13. Homestake is a relatively short lift from the Silver Lake base that is used to access a section of Deer Valley lodging at the end of the day.

https://liftblog.com/2018/04/17/deer-valley-plans-14th-high-speed-quad-to-replace-homestake/

marzNC

Angel Diva
Deer Valley is spreading the news about all the improvements planned in the near future. Total cost is about $8 million, including the Homestake detachable quad. A little surprised they are buying four new snowcats given the reputation of grooming at DV. The new wrinkle is that people who buy a full DV season pass before Dec. 15, 2018 will get an Ikon Base pass for free.

Park Record - June 2018
https://www.parkrecord.com/news/deer-valley-announces-homestake-lift-replacement-trail-additions/

"Additional improvements planned for 2018-2019 season at Deer Valley Resort include:
  • Snowmaking system enhancements including purchasing additional low-energy guns, five new fan guns, upgrading control systems and replacing several thousand feet of snowmaking pipes
  • Purchasing four new Prinoth snowcats, including one Beast to add to the snow grooming fleet
  • Replacing the ski rental shop inventory with the newest Rossignol equipment
  • Facility and equipment upgrades to resort day lodges, laundry facility, recycling center and IT"

marzNC

Angel Diva
Another Alterra resort is starting to install a major equipment purchase. Snowshoe is going to have $4 million of new snowmaking and grooming equipment for the 2018-19 season. They just had 75 huge Titan 2.0 snow guns delivered all the way from Italy. These snow guns are the most powerful on the market in terms of water flow. Also strong enough to deal with windy conditions, which is common on the upper mountain at Snowshoe. There will also be 90 new stick guns. The new snow guns will be automated. Not only are they more powerful, they are much more energy efficient than the older equipment.

mustski

Angel Diva
"We believe that a decentralized approach to managing the organization—and making capital decisions and operational decisions—is the right way to stay connected to the local personalities of the resort and the local opportunities. We want to enhance our local communities."
:humble::rotf::frusty: Rusty Gregory spent quite a bit of time convincing the people of Big Bear that Mammoth Resorts was the best thing that ever happened to them. NO. just. NO. He's a windbag. He's been promoted so it will only get worse.

To be specific ... RG brought paid parking, eliminated limits on ticket sales, traffic jams ( we now have to pay the sheriff's dept to direct traffic), eliminated perks for volunteer ski patrol, and eliminated perks for USARC (disabled sports) which is 90% volunteer. He eliminated a voucher program which refunded a percentage of the window ticket price, in the form of a coupon for future use, for skiers who would leave before 1:00. This reduced mountain crowding and opened up parking. iHe fired almost the entire staff at BBMR - many of whom have been there over 20 years, and brought in subcontractors for all food and beverages. No good came from RG's tenure as far as BBMR is concerned ... unless you count moving ski patrol UP the hill in order to provide a VIP lounge for those who pay for private lessons. The ambulance could no longer pull up to the ski patrol office. The patient had to be transported down from the ski patrol office to the ambulance but they did get a great view of the VIP lounge along the way!

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, Rusty is a good talker. Not convinced he walks the talk, though.

Christy

Angel Diva
"We believe that a decentralized approach to managing the organization—and making capital decisions and operational decisions—is the right way to stay connected to the local personalities of the resort and the local opportunities. We want to enhance our local communities."
:humble::rotf::frusty: Rusty Gregory spent quite a bit of time convincing the people of Big Bear that Mammoth Resorts was the best thing that ever happened to them. NO. just. NO. He's a windbag. He's been promoted so it will only get worse.

To be specific ... RG brought paid parking, eliminated limits on ticket sales, traffic jams ( we now have to pay the sheriff's dept to direct traffic), eliminated perks for volunteer ski patrol, and eliminated perks for USARC (disabled sports) which is 90% volunteer. He eliminated a voucher program which refunded a percentage of the window ticket price, in the form of a coupon for future use, for skiers who would leave before 1:00. This reduced mountain crowding and opened up parking. iHe fired almost the entire staff at BBMR - many of whom have been there over 20 years, and brought in subcontractors for all food and beverages. No good came from RG's tenure as far as BBMR is concerned ... unless you count moving ski patrol UP the hill in order to provide a VIP lounge for those who pay for private lessons. The ambulance could no longer pull up to the ski patrol office. The patient had to be transported down from the ski patrol office to the ambulance but they did get a great view of the VIP lounge along the way!

Wow. So this is the person in charge of Crystal now. Can't wait to see what he has in store for us.

Christy

Angel Diva
But Mr Gregory runs Alterra, which owns Crystal, and it sounds like his "decentralized approach" to individual resort management is just talk. Those changes at BB sound terrible.

marzNC

Angel Diva
But Mr Gregory runs Alterra, which owns Crystal, and it sounds like his "decentralized approach" to individual resort management is just talk. Those changes at BB sound terrible.
The comments about decentralized management come from David Perry, not Rusty Gregory.

I tend to take a wait and see attitude when it comes to corporate changes. Perhaps because I joined a start up company when there were 40 people, which grew to over 15,000 employees with multiple offices worldwide in about five years. Fair to say that things changed a lot, some good, some bad. The biggest changes were at the "home office" that went from 40 to 500 people in about three years.

Rusty Gregory is the CEO of Alterra and came from Mammoth. David Perry is the COO of Alterra and came from Aspen Ski Co. Frank DeBerry is COO of Crystal and came from Snowshoe. Very different responsibilities and backgrounds.

Jilly

Staff member
Changes so far at Tremblant are good. I know the pass situation isn't to everyone's liking. The new chair is better. Still cold though. The Grand Manitou has more seating, but they didn't change the traffic flow which was always my complaint. Didn't visit the improved north side day lodge yet. And the new runs weren't open because of snow conditions. But over all, so far, so good.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Changes so far at Tremblant are good. I know the pass situation isn't to everyone's liking. The new chair is better. Still cold though. The Grand Manitou has more seating, but they didn't change the traffic flow which was always my complaint. Didn't visit the improved north side day lodge yet. And the new runs weren't open because of snow conditions. But over all, so far, so good.
Were there any changes in the senior management team at Tremblant? In particular, the COO or GM or whatever title the top operational decision maker has these days.

Jilly

Staff member
No Patrice remained. I am hearing issues with the ski school. But not sure where that is coming from. Alterra or the school director? He's not new.

Christy

Angel Diva
I suppose the grown-up thing to do is to wait and see before complaining, but since that's absolutely nothing wrong with Crystal, I only have a sense of doom about the change. Unlike Stevens, where I say, Vail, have at it.

mustski

Angel Diva
I suppose the grown-up thing to do is to wait and see before complaining, but since that's absolutely nothing wrong with Crystal, I only have a sense of doom about the change. Unlike Stevens, where I say, Vail, have at it.
If it makes you feel any better, Rusty Gregory was at Mammoth his entire career and worked his way up to CEO (or COO?). Mammoth is one of the best run resorts around. Our problem at BBMR is that nobody really WANTS to own us. They have to own us or Vail will, and they don't want Vail to have us. Who they really care about is the LA Basin which is a giant market they need to keep. If BBMR became part of the Epic pass, they would have lost a big market share who normally purchased Mammoth season passes. It's really not that much further to Tahoe. We will see if Alterra is a better management company than Mammoth was. Mammoth was terrible for June Mountain also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna