• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alternatives to Saucony running shoes

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It being summer, I'm getting a bit of running in (trail and road). I've been wearing Saucony runners - currently Hurricane for road and Xodus for trail - for the past few years because they fit my foot shape very nicely. However, I've found that they wear out inside the heel within a few weeks - it's happened to 5 pairs now which is really disappointing as they're comfy and the trail shoes in particular work well for me apart from that one thing.

I'm hoping to avoid having to go to in person to try on some other brands of shoes and wondered if any divas out there could recommend shoes that have a similar fit - fairly wide toe box and good, narrow heel lock. I'm looking at Asics, New Balance or Mizuno mainly as there are good deals on them here, Brooks rarely seem to be reduced. Thanks!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, heard good things about them though. I was looking at the Bondi - I'm aiming for running longer distances so the cushioning there sounded nice. Do they have a good fit around the heel? Mine are pretty narrow.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
No, heard good things about them though. I was looking at the Bondi - I'm aiming for running longer distances so the cushioning there sounded nice. Do they have a good fit around the heel? Mine are pretty narrow.
I've had several pairs over the years. Now have the Clifton 5's I think . Yes I also have a narrow heel.. Check out the different models. Think I found the Bondi too narrow in the toe box...

Jilly

Staff member
I wore Saucony for years too. I finally went to a proper running shop for good walking shoes. Ended up with New Balance. Recently it's been Salomon as I've been able to get good deals on them. Salomon is also Adidas by the way.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have the Hoka One One Clifton 8 - I walk, not run. Super cushy; I needed to put Superfeet insoles in to adjust for my pronation. I have a narrow side of medium foot and although they are roomy in the forefoot, they are not too wide. They don’t come up as high on the heel as some running sneakers, but they hold my heel secure.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
When you say “inside the heel” do you mean on the sole or in the shoe?

is there something about your heel strike that is unique? Do you have a running store that can maybe give you a Saucony that works better for your stride? I wear Sauconys when I run and I really haven’t been happy with any other brand… although I do love Merrells for walking.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Altra makes great running and trail-running shoes with a good wide toe box/narrow heel fit. They are zero-drop, which I find to greatly reduce strain on my legs.

As @Iwannaski says, though, there's something off about wearing out a pair of running shoes in a particular area after just five weeks (assuming you mean the sole of the shoe is wearing?)

newboots

Angel Diva
@SallyCat beat me to it. I LOVE my Altras and own 3 pairs since discovering them earlier this year!

They have a wide toe box and a snug heel: my dream shoe.

Disclaimer: I walk, not run.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the shoes on your list @MrsPlow that are rarely on discount, you might want to see when the new season's models come out, which often coincides with decreases in the cost of the current season's shoes. E.g., the Brooks Cascadia 16 is coming out this August and the Brooks Cascadia GTX is coming out in October. In any case, I've a pretty wide forefoot and very skinny heel and have had good luck with the Cascadia trail runners in wide and using lock lacing to deal with the narrow heel.

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
I found my first pair of Altras on a deep discount, and shopped for sales ever since. I kind of don't want to wear anything else.

Skidreamer

Certified Ski Diva
I've moved on from Brooks to being obsessed with the New Balance trail runners, atm I'm onto the Leadvilles. I have a pair for running with my orthotics in them, and a pair I save as my dressy sneakers with jeans, they look so smart.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When you say “inside the heel” do you mean on the sole or in the shoe?

is there something about your heel strike that is unique? Do you have a running store that can maybe give you a Saucony that works better for your stride? I wear Sauconys when I run and I really haven’t been happy with any other brand… although I do love Merrells for walking.
It's inside the shoe - but it could well be more me than the shoe (although have read a couple of other complaints from people with the same problem).

I really like the Saucony Peregrine and Xodus for trail walking/running - apart from the heel thing. They grip really well on most surfaces, very reassuring.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Altra makes great running and trail-running shoes with a good wide toe box/narrow heel fit. They are zero-drop, which I find to greatly reduce strain on my legs.

As @Iwannaski says, though, there's something off about wearing out a pair of running shoes in a particular area after just five weeks (assuming you mean the sole of the shoe is wearing?)
I'm curious about zero drop - my trail shoes have a 4mm drop, which I don't have any problem with so thinking I could cope with zero without too much adjustment.

No it's inside the shoe, in the heel cup. The sole has very little wear.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IMO this is so personal depending on your feet. Where I get running shoes they do the whole 3D scan of your feet, assess your gait, have you go outside and walk or run in the shoes, etc etc.
Ordinarily I'd do this but currently living on Plague Island (the UK) so keen to avoid contact unless it's absolutely necessary until the case numbers come down a bit. There are some shops who say you can send in a video of running or walking and they'll assess from that, so that could be an option.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm curious about zero drop - my trail shoes have a 4mm drop, which I don't have any problem with so thinking I could cope with zero without too much adjustment.

No it's inside the shoe, in the heel cup. The sole has very little wear.

I think that anything from 0 to 4 mm is considered a minimal drop shoe, so you'd probably not even notice the difference.

Wow! Inside-the-shoe wear is unusual (at least to me, and I am an over-pronator with big ol' feet and am not gentle on my shoes!). That's disappointing. I hope you find a shoe that holds up better.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Xero shoes. The company is a Colorado (Broomfield) company. Originally they made sandals but have branched out to a complete line of shoes. I wear nothing else.

I discovered this company when I was having peroneal tendon issues. I workout barefoot and after a time my forefoot spread and my regular shoes didn't fit well and irritated the peroneal tendon. Fortunately, I was able to go to Broomfield and try some shoes on. I ended up with the Prio's. Now I have an entire closet full of Xero's. I even have boot styles that I was never able to wear because of my high instep. Bad news is there are great sales in late summer/early fall. So hard to resist.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965