• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alta - Snowpine or Rustler with kids

Jmarmon

Diva in Training
Hey Divas! Heading to Alta with my 9 and 12 year old sons in March. Am booked at Rustler but have been hearing amazing things about Snowpine. Looking for a place where the boys will be able to meet other kids at the pool etc. I think there is even a kids table at dinner at Rustler. But snowpine has a game room. Torn!! Please advise!

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowpine was fully renovated about 3 or 4 seasons ago. It’s a gorgeous hotel now with a beautiful restaurant and bar, with lots of quiet nooks to relax and a large game room. Our friend left Goldminer’s to manage Snowpine when it reopened and it’s pretty spectacular, yet it lacks any old Alta charm IMO. We thought it looked more like a honeymoon location than kid friendly, however, we haven’t been back in the hotel for 2 years now. You may want to check TripAdvisor reviews. I can’t comment on Rustler. We stay at Goldminer’s only.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Snowpine is quite a different atmosphere than the Rustler. The families who do annual trips to Alta tend to be at the Peruvian or Alta Lodge or GMD. Although I'm sure Snowpine and the Rustler have their share of return guests as well.

Note that the Snowpine doesn't necessarily include meals.

The Peruvian has an outdoor pool.

Each of the lodges at Alta have their own atmosphere. One year a family was at Alta Lodge who had a couple of boys. The 12yo moped the entire time. He missed his friends at the Peruvian. That year his mother had failed to make a reservation at the Peruvian in time.

Note that I'm totally biased since I've been staying at Alta Lodge for spring break or late season trips since 2008. I started going when my daughter was 7. Still going to meet up with old and new friends even though my daughter has been too busy to make it since middle school. She's about to graduate from college.

Jmarmon

Diva in Training
Thank you!! This is so helpful! Curious how is Snowpine different from Rustler?

From the Trip Advisor reviews it does seems like there are many many return guests at Rustler. This will be my first time in Alta with my own kiddo (I went with my family waaay back when - we stayed at Goldminers Daughter and I remember loving it!) so we will be making friends for the first time. Part of me thought that maybe Snowpine would be like more "newbies" like me. :smile: Will anyone want at the Rustler want to be friends with us if we haven't been coming for years and years? Just kidding - I'm sure it will be a friendly vibe! Any additional advice for first time Alta mom is much appreciated!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you!! This is so helpful! Curious how is Snowpine different from Rustler?

From the Trip Advisor reviews it does seems like there are many many return guests at Rustler. This will be my first time in Alta with my own kiddo (I went with my family waaay back when - we stayed at Goldminers Daughter and I remember loving it!) so we will be making friends for the first time. Part of me thought that maybe Snowpine would be like more "newbies" like me. :smile: Will anyone want at the Rustler want to be friends with us if we haven't been coming for years and years? Just kidding - I'm sure it will be a friendly vibe! Any additional advice for first time Alta mom is much appreciated!
The current Snowpine is essentially a completely different entity than the old one. The old stone building is actually inside what can be seen now. The old Snowpine certainly had return guests. But it had very few rooms appropriate for a family of 3-4. The pricing and room options of the Snowpine cater to a different market. I would guess some of the previous guests are choosing to stay elsewhere, perhaps GMD is the most similar of the other lodges.

As with any online reviews, the people who post on Trip Advisor are not exactly a random sample.

The Snowpine feels like a 21st century boutique hotel. The Rustler feels like a 20th century country club hotel. Neither feel like the type of place that would have little kids running in the hallways.

If you are having lunch with the kids, keep in mind that the food options on mountain are all different. For instance if pizza is of interest, that's available at the Albion Grill and Watson's but not Alf's. I prefer eating at Alta Lodge, which is open for lunch to anyone not just Alta Lodge guests. The Rustler and Snowpine serve lunch too but takes longer and not really that family friendly in my opinion.

KatieM

Diva in Training
The Snowpine is quite a different atmosphere than the Rustler. The families who do annual trips to Alta tend to be at the Peruvian or Alta Lodge or GMD. Although I'm sure Snowpine and the Rustler have their share of return guests as well.

Note that the Snowpine doesn't necessarily include meals.

The Peruvian has an outdoor pool.

Each of the lodges at Alta have their own atmosphere. One year a family was at Alta Lodge who had a couple of boys. The 12yo moped the entire time. He missed his friends at the Peruvian. That year his mother had failed to make a reservation at the Peruvian in time.

Note that I'm totally biased since I've been staying at Alta Lodge for spring break or late season trips since 2008. I started going when my daughter was 7. Still going to meet up with old and new friends even though my daughter has been too busy to make it since middle school. She's about to graduate from college.
Alta Lodge all the way :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna