• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alta, Snowbird April 4-9, 2012

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow, talk about changing spring conditions in LCC. Too warm (40's at the top of Collins), cold (20's), snowstorm (12 inches), blue bird with powder . . . with spring skiing to come.

Day 1 was April 4. Spent most of the day over at Snowbird in rising temps. Went from hard to soft to corn to slush in a few hours. Still fun to check out the Peruvian tunnel and the tram for the first time. Thinking about taking DD over to see the tunnel before we leave. She's skiing more than well enough to enjoy Mineral Basin.

Day 2 was cold, meaning under freezing all day. So everything froze up overnight and pretty much stayed that way. The groomers off Supreme were still fun though, especially since it was a day for our little group to ski with the kids (ages 8-11) and another family who had never been to Alta before (cautious intermediate mom, dad and teenage sons advanced). The younger kids learned a lot at Alta ski school by then. All could handle Challenger and No. 9 Express (short but steep blacks) even when quite frozen. Was their idea to ski them in the afternoon. Interesting way to test out Blizzard Crush. Worked pretty well.

Day 3 it was snowing hard at breakfast time. Already 5-6 inches at the base. Got a slow start with getting all the kids organized. Plus Sugarloaf didn't open until 10:45 and Supreme didn't open until late morning. The kids did ski school after lunch . . . so the adults could go play on Supreme. Saw the my DD and her friend take Vail Ridge (black off Sunnyside) for a first run. Knee deep powder and they were doing fine following the instructor. They stayed on Supreme most of the afternoon, so we also got to see them do the 3 Bears gully.

Official storm total was 12 inches, all in about 12 hours. In the morning, a pole plant would hit frozen base most places on a groomer. By the afternoon, that was much less of an issue. Heard that everything off Wildcat was very good.

Day 4 was Demo Day. Free demos from about 30 vendors. Definitely a bonus that it was so cold overnight that it didn't get over freezing higher up until shortly after lunch. So there was powder for checking out skis. Blue bird sky. Ballroom opened up first thing. I managed a run on Salomon Geishas in bottomless powder. Over on Strawberry later in the morning, I heard scraping every few turns but essentially chopped up powder. Soft snow in lots of places on the Collins side before lunch if you knew where to look.

Was certainly not expecting any powder skiing this trip. Just never know what will happen in April. Very glad to be here for the last week of the Supreme lift. Last full week for Alta ends April 15 although opening on weekends until the end of April this year. Already know the last day in 2013 will be April 14. Planning next year's spring break trip already. :becky:

marzNC

Angel Diva
For pics, check out this Photobucket album.

https://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq253/marzlook/Snow/Alta April 2012/

Keep getting dropped when I spend time posting individual pics. Here's one.

Alta07Apr12-07.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Great day skiing with my 11yo DD and our ski buddy, Bill. DD is just about better than I am after this trip. Probably will be Level 8 next year. No hesitation on steep blacks, in the trees, or in heavy or chopped up powder. Even took a short run untracked run off the Devil's Apron traverse (before the cliff). Final run included Ballroom . . . past the split between blue and black.

We mostly stayed on Supreme because it was the last day for that lift. Warmed up fast so the snow was soft by the time we got over there. Still decent at 3pm when we left.

Spring skiing is fun!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Last day skiing today. Took DD over to Snowbird for the first time. She wanted to do the tunnel but we found out that it closed after April 8, just like Supreme. But the tram ride made for good fun. Especially because we learned from an experience mom that kids are allowed to be under the rope so that they can get a good spot before the hoards are allowed to board (tram capacity is 125). Not super crowded this late in the season but not exactly empty either.

Mineral Basin was already reasonably soft by 9:45 when we got over there from Alta (up Collins, ski down to Sugarloaf, ride up Sugarloaf, cross over) after upgrading our Spring Season Pass to a combo ticket for the day. Quite different now that DD can ski pretty much anything that I can. After Big Sky and Bridger, I'm having more success on steeper areas that last year. Bill and I had a good time skiing with her the last couple days.

Alta Lodge put on a picnic out on the slopes on the way to Supreme (near Yellow Bear). Perfect day for that. They even dug a trench to create a "bench" so you could sit on the snow comfortably to eat.

Got pretty soft by early afternoon. In the 50's. So DD and I stopped a bit early. Left more time for the hot tub and packing before another stellar Alta Lodge dinner.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like a really fantastic trip! Alta is on my bucket list. My retired pastor and his wife have a timeshare there (maybe Snowbird?) and I have a standing invite to ski with them.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Very few skiers at Alta after April 8, the last day for the Supreme lift. More over at Snowbird, at least in Mineral Basin in the morning. Temps were in the 50's so that's another reason people weren't driving up the canyon. Although rode up with a couple who live in Park City. They were skiing Alta for the first time this season . . . for late season rates.

But I think Bill and our North Country School friends are going to have a good time later this week. (Bill and I are NCS schoolmates, boarding middle school near Lake Placid). Snow expected starting tonight and cold through Monday. The others arrive on Wed or Thu for an alumni gathering at Alta Lodge. Have had good luck with snowstorms since the event started several years ago. Always the last week of the season for Alta Lodge, which closes after the last full week that the lifts are open.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do hope we get enough for your North Country School buddies to play in! "They" are saying something like 8-10" between this afternoon and Friday pm. I'm hoping for one little storm at the end of each of the following two weekends. Given how much fun I'm having, I'm not giving up the ghost until the last lift! I've already arranged to take Friday off.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like a really fantastic trip! Alta is on my bucket list. My retired pastor and his wife have a timeshare there (maybe Snowbird?) and I have a standing invite to ski with them.

You should definitely check out Alta some time. Remains my favorite, with Big Sky, Snowbasin, Alpine Meadows, and Brighton in my secondary list so far for Rocky Mountain destinations.

The only timeshares in LCC are at Snowbird. Can always catch the free bus for the 5-min ride to Alta if only skiing there for the day. Or can get the combo ticket and ski over when the tram or the Peruvian tunnel are open. With decent visibility, you shouldn't have trouble with the easier routes down to Baldy Express, the lift that goes to the gate between Snowbird and Alta (top of Sugarloaf lift).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna