• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alta - first time & Covid questions

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all, I’m new to this forum and hope this question isn’t too resort-specific. I’m thinking of skiing Alta with my son in early April. We’ve loved many trips to Deer Valley but this would be our first time in LCC. I’m a solid intermediate skier while my son is comfortable on steeper terrain. He has asthma so at higher risk of Covid complications. 1st question: is the terrain at Alta (in our comfort zones) enough to keep us busy for 5 days? 2nd: what’s your experience been at Alta this season with respect to overall Covid plan, is there social distancing and mask compliance, are there long lines at the lifts, can a family group request their own chair, what are the food service protocols? Thanks in advance for your help!

lucy

Angel Diva
1st question: is the terrain at Alta (in our comfort zones) enough to keep us busy for 5 days?
Hi and welcome! I think you’ll find a nice blend of intermediate and advanced skiing. Snow conditions are low this year so some of the steepest runs are still iffy. If you like Deer Valley, it should be a lot of fun exploring Alta. Two things to include in the equation, LCC does require AWD with snow tires or you have to have chains, and there is no parking restriction at Alta, so the early bird gets the parking space. ;) Have fun!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi all, I’m new to this forum and hope this question isn’t too resort-specific. I’m thinking of skiing Alta with my son in early April. We’ve loved many trips to Deer Valley but this would be our first time in LCC. I’m a solid intermediate skier while my son is comfortable on steeper terrain. He has asthma so at higher risk of Covid complications. 1st question: is the terrain at Alta (in our comfort zones) enough to keep us busy for 5 days? 2nd: what’s your experience been at Alta this season with respect to overall Covid plan, is there social distancing and mask compliance, are there long lines at the lifts, can a family group request their own chair, what are the food service protocols? Thanks in advance for your help!
Welcome! There is more than enough intermediate terrain for 5 days of fun at Alta in April. I'll be there with friends from my usual late season trip. Skied there as an intermediate myself decades ago. Took my daughter for spring break trips when she was a tween. Easy to get her totally hooked on skiing. :smile:

I skied at Alta with a few friends as part of a ski trip in December. Will answer your specific questions soon. In general, Alta has done a very good job with the adjustments to keep everyone safe and healthy.

Are you thinking of staying at one of the lodges in the town of Alta? I'm a regular at Alta Lodge.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome! There is more than enough intermediate terrain for 5 days of fun at Alta in April. I'll be there with friends from my usual late season trip. Skied there as an intermediate myself decades ago. Took my daughter for spring break trips when she was a tween. Easy to get her totally hooked on skiing. :smile:

I skied at Alta with a few friends as part of a ski trip in December. Will answer your specific questions soon. In general, Alta has done a very good job with the adjustments to keep everyone safe and healthy.

Are you thinking of staying at one of the lodges in the town of Alta? I'm a regular at Alta Lodge.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for the quick reply! I’m looking at renting a condo at Hellgate - comments on that location would be appreciated. We usually do condo as opposed to hotel/lodge due to the cost savings from eating in, as well as the fact that we have food allergies in the family. Plus with Covid I’m wondering how many restaurants are even operating in/around Alta?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you for the quick reply! I’m looking at renting a condo at Hellgate - comments on that location would be appreciated. We usually do condo as opposed to hotel/lodge due to the cost savings from eating in, as well as the fact that we have food allergies in the family. Plus with Covid I’m wondering how many restaurants are even operating in/around Alta?
LCC is very different from Parley's Canyon. There is actually one one restaurant in the town of Alta that's not part of a lodge. And it's very high end and not family friendly at all. The five lodges all include breakfast and dinner as part of the lodging package. So people rarely eat dinner somewhere else.

Do you plan to have a car? As noted earlier, need to have AWD and snow driving experience. When staying in a condo, need to bring most food supplies from SLC. While there is a little market at Snowbird, it's pretty basic.

Have you checked out the possibility of a condo at the Snowbird Iron Blosam? That's a timeshare building but they also do rentals I think. That's a better location than Hellgate. Possible to stay there without a car with a little planning for picking up groceries on the way. I stayed there in December for the first time so can tell you more about how things run at the Iron Blosam.

marzNC

Angel Diva
what’s your experience been at Alta this season with respect to overall Covid plan, is there social distancing and mask compliance, are there long lines at the lifts, can a family group request their own chair, what are the food service protocols?
The lifties at Alta were very consistent about asking people in lift lines to cover their noses. There are ghost lanes between lines, which are longer than usual. Alta uses RFID. Also a "front row" approach to getting the next groups ready to go through the gates. So not really any issues with crowding.

On a powder day, the base lifts can have long lines by 8:30am. The lifts start at 9:15, unless ski patrol needs a little more time. Alta is not using any reservation system. When the parking lots are full, the only way to go skiing would be to ride the UTA bus. Of course staying at Alta or Snowbird, getting to Alta is much easier. Between Snowbird and Alta, the UTA buses are free. They run on a schedule every 10-15 min in the mornings until about 10:30, then about every 30 min, every 10/15 min from 3:00-6:00. The Alta base lifts keep running until 4:30. Advanced skiers normally finish on the Collins side if they want to ski until last chair.

All loading is based on people grouping themselves. Riding single is fine. If people want to ride together, no one is asking if they are family. The general concept is that people who travel together should ride together. Obviously the more chairs that have 2+ people, the faster lift lines move. If two singles who don't know each other are okay sharing a chair with space in between, that's fine too. Everyone is covering their noses with a mask in any case.

As for food, there are a few outdoor eating options. There is a food truck at each parking lot. Can get take out at the on-mountain food service buildings. If someone wants the food delivered outside, that's possible. I and my ski buddy were comfortable eating indoors. Plenty of ventilation and spacing. They are using a QR code ordering system. After being seated at a table, you place your order online. When it's ready, you get a text. You go up to the cafeteria line, pick up your tray, then pay at the cashier per usual. The difference is that there aren't people standing in line waiting for their food. Plus fewer people go to do the pick up.

My ski buddy took the ski bus from the Iron Blosam in his ski boots. I did too, but I brought a small pack with shoes so I could change out of my boots before riding the bus back. There is a locker room on the Albion side (next to the ski school office) with free cubbies and paid lockers (in/out electronic). There are coin lockers (4 quarters) in the building that has the Albion Grill and the Alta Ski Shop. Some of those lockers are outdoors on the porch. There isn't a public locker room on at the Wildcat base.

Alta is very different from Deer Valley. Alta is a collection of independent businesses that cooperate together. Alta Ski Co. owns and operates the lifts, the ski school, the buildings, Alta Ski Shop, Albion Grill, and Watson's. The other food options for breakfast (Albion Grill) are independent businesses. The five lodges in the town of Alta are all independent. There are a couple other ski shops located in the lodges. Can have a nice sit down lunch at Alta Lodge, the Rustler, or the Snowpine. All have made the usual pandemic adjustments.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m a solid intermediate skier while my son is comfortable on steeper terrain.
Although Alta does a bit of snowmaking during early season, in April the surface is all natural snow. That means most of the groomers don't get slick after a couple hours. Of course, if there are warm temps (over 40 at the base) then it pays to allow time for the snow surface to soften then next morning.

Alta does not have a free mountain tour. I wrote up a self-guided tour a while back. I can dig it up if you are interested. It's not online anywhere at the moment. Needed to be updated after the Supreme lift was upgraded a few years ago.

My favorite section in late season is off the Supreme lift. It's a good area for a mixed-ability group because an intermediate can enjoy the blues while an advanced skier can take alternate routes off-piste that leads to the same end point. Rock-N-Roll is one of my favorite trails.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Although Alta does a bit of snowmaking during early season, in April the surface is all natural snow. That means most of the groomers don't get slick after a couple hours. Of course, if there are warm temps (over 40 at the base) then it pays to allow time for the snow surface to soften then next morning.

Alta does not have a free mountain tour. I wrote up a self-guided tour a while back. I can dig it up if you are interested. It's not online anywhere at the moment. Needed to be updated after the Supreme lift was upgraded a few years ago.

My favorite section in late season is off the Supreme lift. It's a good area for a mixed-ability group because an intermediate can enjoy the blues while an advanced skier can take alternate routes off-piste that leads to the same end point. Rock-N-Roll is one of my favorite trails.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MarzNC, thank you so much for the detailed response on all fronts. I’m feeling comfortable with the Covid protocols you described. I looked at Iron Blosam, there is some limited availability for our dates but nothing available with a full kitchen- just microwave. So that’s a non-starter unless there is some meal plan at the condo — I don’t see that. What is the downside to Hellsgate? If we’re staying in striking distance from Alta or Snowbird, we don’t necessarily need a car. Could we shuttle from the airport with a grocery pitstop in SLC or would we need to Uber for that (assuming Uber goes to LCC - again apologize for the newbie questions)

marzNC

Angel Diva
MarzNC, thank you so much for the detailed response on all fronts. I’m feeling comfortable with the Covid protocols you described. I looked at Iron Blosam, there is some limited availability for our dates but nothing available with a full kitchen- just microwave. So that’s a non-starter unless there is some meal plan at the condo — I don’t see that. What is the downside to Hellsgate? If we’re staying in striking distance from Alta or Snowbird, we don’t necessarily need a car. Could we shuttle from the airport with a grocery pitstop in SLC or would we need to Uber for that (assuming Uber goes to LCC - again apologize for the newbie questions)
Never a need to apologize for asking questions. Fair to say that I never get tired of providing info related to Alta. I'll continue to add general info as I think of it. But look for a PM with some specifics about lodging options in LCC. :smile:

Uber is available in SLC. However, during a pandemic I'm not sure that's the best approach. Pretty sure that Canyon Transportation has the option of a grocery stop on the way from the airport. I've read about that idea for people staying at Solitude without a car. Snowbird recommends Canyon Transportation. My experience is with Alta Shuttle because that's the shuttle service that Alta Lodge works with. But both services go to Snowbird or Alta lodging. A phone call would be the best way to find out what they are doing this winter.

I know Canyon Transportation is doing regular shuttle service. One of my travel buddies took it to the airport in Dec for a very early morning flight. Another stayed longer at a lodge at Alta and took a shuttle to the airport. I dropped off the third at the airport using the rental SUV we had for over a week. Then I had time to drive up to the Ogden Valley for some views before I went back to the airport for my late afternoon flight.

It's worth giving Snowbird Resort a call. They might have suggestions that aren't obvious on the website. Can find out more about how people get groceries when they don't have a car. They should be able to give you an idea if the little grocery store inside the Snowbird Center can provide the basics you will need.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LCC is very different from Parley's Canyon. There is actually one one restaurant in the town of Alta that's not part of a lodge. And it's very high end and not family friendly at all. The five lodges all include breakfast and dinner as part of the lodging package. So people rarely eat dinner somewhere else.

Do you plan to have a car? As noted earlier, need to have AWD and snow driving experience. When staying in a condo, need to bring most food supplies from SLC. While there is a little market at Snowbird, it's pretty basic.

Have you checked out the possibility of a condo at the Snowbird Iron Blosam? That's a timeshare building but they also do rentals I think. That's a better location than Hellgate. Possible to stay there without a car with a little planning for picking up groceries on the way. I stayed there in December for the first time so can tell you more about how things run at the Iron Blosam.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can you explain why Hellgate is not a great location for skiing Alta? I’ve only been to the area once over 20 years ago and we just went up for the day from Park City. Hellgate condos seem to make up a large number of the properties that still have availability for our dates. Thank you in advance for the insights!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Can you explain why Hellgate is not a great location for skiing Alta? I’ve only been to the area once over 20 years ago and we just went up for the day from Park City. Hellgate condos seem to make up a large number of the properties that still have availability for our dates. Thank you in advance for the insights!!
From what I could see riding the bus past Hellgate, it's a bit of a hike to the Snowbird Center if you want to buy anything. Not on a walkway, just walking on the snowy road. But there might be a trail that isn't obvious. There is a bus stop somewhere for Hellgate but I have no idea how far the walk is to the actual condo buildings.

Note that if Hellgate condos say "ski in/out" that only applies to people skiing Snowbird or advanced skiers who can ski over from the Wildcat area at Alta. For an intermediate, skiing at Alta requires driving or taking the UTA bus. Driving between Snowbird and Alta is not really worth the effort of dealing with parking. The UTA buses are operating at 50% capacity.

Another issue for the UTA buses is when they will stop running during late season. Most likely the buses will continue until April 18 but worth checking. Alta ends 7-day operations mid-April, but sometimes has a few bonus weekends afterwards. Snowbird stays open longer but closes lifts.

LCC has very little private land available for any type of buildings. Especially in comparison to Park City. Parley's Canyon is much bigger in area, but also much lower. That's why it's not open in April while Alta and Snowbird can stay open for weeks after Park City and Deer Valley close because there isn't enough snow coverage left.

People interested in condo lodging usually stay at the base of LCC and drive up or take the UTA bus. In the spring, the likelihood of the canyon road being closed all day because of a big snowstorm is much less than Jan-Mar. People who stay in SLC and don't want to drive up LCC when it's a powder day in the spring generally go ski a Solitude. The road to BCC isn't as steep and is less prone to avalanche closures. Solitude and Brighton also have pretty good snow in late season.

While it was okay staying at Snowbird in Dec, I would probably still stay in the city and drive when I'm not staying at Alta Lodge. But I tend to want to have a car on a ski trip in general.

I think @teppaz stayed in a condo in LCC at some point.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great, thank you for all this guidance. I’m looking at Alta Lodge and also condos 8-10 miles downhill from Alta. I’m not clear on whether Alta “sells out” now because of their Covid protocols or it’s more an issue of no place to park, and therefore no way to ski. Stated another way, other than the proximity factor, would you recommend going with the Lodge over a condo down LCC due to guaranteed skiing without having to fight for a parking spot and making sure you’re in a lift line by 8 am?

alison wong

Angel Diva
1) If you are not driving / rental car, I'd suggest to stay at Iron Blossom (Snowbird) or slope side lodgings at Alta.
2) Consider to give UTA bus a call, ask whether or not bus can stop at Hellgate condo.
3) Can you call Hellgate to ask whether it is possible to get to Alta by taking UTA bus? I am sure you won't be the first guest asks this question.
4) My 1st time visit to Alta, I stayed at Iron Blossom and skied Alta. I did not have rental car. I took Canyon Transportation from SLC airport to Iron Blossom. I remembered I called them to see if it is possible to stop by grocery on the way to Cottonwood. The answer I got was, they can if other passengers don't mind the short stop. There is also a shuttle takes guests to grocery every Wednesday evening, I don't know if they (Iron Blossom or Canyon Transportation?) are still doing it now.
5) I've been to LCC few times and remember seeing Hellgate condo on my way to Alta. From what I see, it's not an easy walk to and from the property. I don't see sidewalks for pedestrians.
6) For your lodging options, may I suggest 2 alternatives?
i) Gold Miner's Daughter Inn. Some folks prefer it since it has an elevator and TV in rooms. It does not require rope tow to get to the lodge. It is located in "front" of Collins Lift. It does not have minimum night stay requirement. It is a true ski in/ ski out lodging.
ii) Alta Peruvian Lodge. I stayed there first time in December, 2020. I liked it enough to be my first choice for lodging in Alta slope side. Location wise, it is not as close as Alta Lodge or Goldminers. It is located across the parking lot, an easy walk to get to slopes, ~3 mins walk to Collins lift / Wild cat base area. Rate is included 3 meals. Only issue is you mentioned about food allergy. You can visit their website and check out menu (to get some ideas).
Since you are going in later season, I don't know if you can do ski in / out.
During mid season, it is possible to ski out, there is a groomed trail just for that; ski in - access from Wildcat chair. Again, you can call staff and ask if you want to know more. I found the staff there to be friendly and approachable. I asked all these questions when I stayed there in December.
They also have an outdoor hot tub (which I prefer). Early April will be perfect to stay out.
7) Check Hotels.com for lodging at Alta.
I keyed in early April dates and this is what I got for 1 person at Alta Peruvian. You get a bunk bed room, bathroom in room (not shared). Since it is COVID year, they are not putting you with someone else. If you are traveling yourself, you get the room yourself. I understand you are traveling with your son. When I keyed in for 2 person, hotels.com gave me a different room with >2x the rate.
This is what I would do (if proceed w/ this booking), book the room from Hotels.com and key in 1 person. Then call Alta Peruvian and explain your son will come along, so you two will share the same room. That way, they will charge additional person at the same nightly rate and put you both in the same room. But you need to do this through Alta Peruvian, not hotels.com
I know this because I asked this question in December (since I was considering a return trip with a friend).
8) As for COVID protocol, at Alta Peruvian restaurant, there is no menu, I use smartphone to scan a QR code, it took me to menu and I select from there.

I took few photos (including food pics) when I was there. I can post here if you want to see. Alternatively, you can check their website for photos.
Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 6.45.43 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Great, thank you for all this guidance. I’m looking at Alta Lodge and also condos 8-10 miles downhill from Alta. I’m not clear on whether Alta “sells out” now because of their Covid protocols or it’s more an issue of no place to park, and therefore no way to ski. Stated another way, other than the proximity factor, would you recommend going with the Lodge over a condo down LCC due to guaranteed skiing without having to fight for a parking spot and making sure you’re in a lift line by 8 am?
Hard to say how dedicated the locals will be by April to get to a parking lot before 8:30am. Lifts don't start until 9:15. On powder days and Saturdays so far, parking has filled up completely by 10am. For a week in early April, I wouldn't expect parking to be an issue more than one day. However, if you want to have a relaxing vacation then staying at Alta Lodge is the way to go.

Alta is unusual in their approach to limiting capacity. There are no reservations required for season passholders, including Ikon and MCP holders. There are limited day tickets that are available online. (No discounted tickets being sold at retail outlets in SLC.) The sooner someone commits to a given date, the lower the price. Alta is not using parking reservations, which is what Snowbird is doing. Parking is free. There are three locations: Wildcat lot, Albion lot (actually two lots), and along the side of the road in the "town of Alta." There is a Twitter feed that warms people about limited parking. Also noted on the Alta website.

When parking fills up, people who are willing to ride the UTA bus can still ski at Alta.

marzNC

Angel Diva
ii) Alta Peruvian Lodge. I stayed there first time in December, 2020. I liked it enough to be my first choice for lodging in Alta slope side. Location wise, it is not as close as Alta Lodge or Goldminers. It is located across the parking lot, an easy walk to get to slopes, ~3 mins walk to Collins lift / Wild cat base area. Rate is included 3 meals. Only issue is you mentioned about food allergy. You can visit their website and check out menu (to get some ideas).
During mid season, it is possible to ski out, there is a groomed trail just for that; ski in - access from Wildcat chair. Again, you can call staff and ask if you want to know more. I found the staff there to be friendly and approachable. I asked all these questions when I stayed there in December.
They also have an outdoor hot tub (which I prefer). Early April will be perfect to stay out.
The Peruvian is only ski-in for advanced skiers. Might work for the OP's son, but probably not for the OP. That part of the Wildcat terrain is pretty steep and has trees. There will be plenty of snow left on Wildcat in April.

Lunch at the Peruvian is only for people willing to go back to the lodge for lunch. Used to have a brown bag option but my understanding is that was dropped a while back. To get back from Supreme or Sugarloaf (Albion side) to the Peruvian just for lunch is probably not worth the time. Supreme is likely to be the OP's favorite area at Alta.

Every lodge at Alta is unique and has it's own vibe. While Alison prefers an outdoor hot tub, I much prefer the indoor hot pools at Alta Lodge (view of High Rustler) with a locker room that has a sauna. In normal years, I stay in original lodge room with no shower for a slightly cheaper rate and just shower in the locker room, and get dressed in the sauna. This winter, Alta Lodge is not using any rooms with shared bath so I got a free and automatic upgrade to a room with a private bath. There is a reason that 75% of the guests at Alta Lodge are return guests. At the same time, I remember a tween boy who was at Alta Lodge with his family who really missed the Peruvian pool. His parents hadn't made a reservation early enough that year. He was moping the entire stay.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Stated another way, other than the proximity factor, would you recommend going with the Lodge over a condo down LCC due to guaranteed skiing without having to fight for a parking spot and making sure you’re in a lift line by 8 am?
There are so many different priorities that go into deciding between a condo with a kitchen that requires a drive or a bus ride to get to the skiing versus slopeside lodging, it's very hard for me to make a recommendation.

Whatever you decide about lodging, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy when skiing at Alta. It remains my favorite even as I've had the chance to check out assorted other destination resorts in the last couple decades. I liked it as an intermediate and am continue to find new fun terrain every trip as an improving advanced skier over 60.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1) If you are not driving / rental car, I'd suggest to stay at Iron Blossom (Snowbird) or slope side lodgings at Alta.
2) Consider to give UTA bus a call, ask whether or not bus can stop at Hellgate condo.
3) Can you call Hellgate to ask whether it is possible to get to Alta by taking UTA bus? I am sure you won't be the first guest asks this question.
4) My 1st time visit to Alta, I stayed at Iron Blossom and skied Alta. I did not have rental car. I took Canyon Transportation from SLC airport to Iron Blossom. I remembered I called them to see if it is possible to stop by grocery on the way to Cottonwood. The answer I got was, they can if other passengers don't mind the short stop. There is also a shuttle takes guests to grocery every Wednesday evening, I don't know if they (Iron Blossom or Canyon Transportation?) are still doing it now.
5) I've been to LCC few times and remember seeing Hellgate condo on my way to Alta. From what I see, it's not an easy walk to and from the property. I don't see sidewalks for pedestrians.
6) For your lodging options, may I suggest 2 alternatives?
i) Gold Miner's Daughter Inn. Some folks prefer it since it has an elevator and TV in rooms. It does not require rope tow to get to the lodge. It is located in "front" of Collins Lift. It does not have minimum night stay requirement. It is a true ski in/ ski out lodging.
7) Check Hotels.com for lodging at Alta.
I keyed in early April dates and this is what I got for 1 person at Alta Peruvian. You get a bunk bed room, bathroom in room (not shared). Since it is COVID year, they are not putting you with someone else. If you are traveling yourself, you get the room yourself. I understand you are traveling with your son. When I keyed in for 2 person, hotels.com gave me a different room with >2x the rate.
This is what I would do (if proceed w/ this booking), book the room from Hotels.com and key in 1 person. Then call Alta Peruvian and explain your son will come along, so you two will share the same room. That way, they will charge additional person at the same nightly rate and put you both in the same room. But you need to do this through Alta Peruvian, not hotels.com
I know this because I asked this question in December (since I was considering a return trip with a friend).
8) As for COVID protocol, at Alta Peruvian restaurant, there is no menu, I use smartphone to scan a QR code, it took me to menu and I select from there.

I took few photos (including food pics) when I was there. I can post here if you want to see. Alternatively, you can check their website for photos.
View attachment 14661

WOW! I have hit the Gold Mine (pun intended) with this forum! I can’t thank you ladies enough for the detailed, up -to-date and thoughtful answers to my questions. I feel guilty about everyone’s jumping in, while the only resort I can reciprocate on is Deer Valley. But more than happy to answer any questions!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly