• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alpine touring (AT) binding thread!

Lmagnuss

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all!

There are so many options for AT bindings these days that I thought it might be nice to get a general thread started with what you've tried, why it did or didn't work for you, and what you're interested in trying in the future. Backcountry.com has a fairly good summary, although they don't mention specifics of any of the bindings:

Frame AT Bindings
  • DIN ISO-certified
  • Have brakes
  • Provide the best downhill performance
  • Can be used with most DIN-compatible AT and alpine ski boots
  • Much heavier than tech bindings
  • Long mounting platform may create a dead spot in the ski
Traditional Tech Bindings
  • Extremely lightweight
  • Can increase touring efficiency
  • Not TÜV-certified
  • Require special tech-compatible AT boots
  • Do not always come with ski brakes
TÜV-certified Tech Bindings
  • Relatively lightweight
  • Can increase touring efficiency
  • Have a predictable safety-release
  • Have brakes
  • Heavier than traditional tech bindings
  • Require special tech-compatible AT boots
Personally, my setup for the past 7 years has been AT bindings (Marker Baron) on atomic access skis. They have been great for my needs, which used to be predominately in bounds. The bindings are heavy, weighing in at 1375 g each, but as I have nothing else to compare them too have been OK so far. I like the ease of changing the riser, but the rails can get caked with snow and ice and can sometime be hard to switch from walk to ride. As I age and get sick of the crowds in Colorado, I'm looking for a newer, lighter binding for easy tours as well as the occasional inbounds day. We have a trip planned to Japan this February where we'll be doing two inbounds and two backcountry days. I haven't bought a ski pass in the last 3 years, so mostly envision doing tours, hut trips with no high consequence terrain/cliff jumping etc.

I'd been looking at the Dynafit ST Radical because it's priced well and is fairly light (535 g), but I'm slightly concerned that it doesn't have a DIN rating and I'm scared of breaking myself (I've done a lot of that in the past). Considering the shift's (865 g) but wondering if their worth the $$. Then there's the Fritschi Vipec Evo 12 (1158 g) and really, a whole host of other options.

What are the pros/cons of some of the AT bindings you've skied?

FYI I'll be mounting whatever I get on Armada trace 108's and I still love my older Black diamond shiva boots with the swappable tech soles.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've skied the Radical ST 2s for 4 years and put a little over 200 days on them. I've had a spring break on the brakes this spring, but they're still operational and Dynafit is sending me some parts even though they're outside of warranty. They also just announced that they're extending their warranty to 10 years, so I probably won't ever switch to another manufacturer. I've had friends get their Ions "totaled" within a few weeks of mounting them, and another with the new Tectons that had parts warrantied within the first season.

They're not DIN certified, but there are still DIN settings and I find they release consistently for me. The TUV testing involves 14 different ways to test the binding based on different directions of force, chilling the binding, coating it in ice, spraying it down. There's 1 test where release consistency is checked as the ski flexes, with greater deviation allowed for side release than vertical. That's the piece that's difficult since the gap between your pins and the heel changes as it flexes. It's also why the tech bindings that have gotten certified have all had alpine-style heels. One other important piece to note is that binding certification hasn't standardized the type of tech fitting used or where they're located. So just because a binding is certified, it might not hold true with your particular boots.

Power transfer is definitely different with the pin-style heel piece. And elastic travel decreases with the lighter and lighter bindings. (Basically, for micro movements of your foot/boot, does the binding use springs to re-center it, or does it pre-release? Elastic travel is about distance, whereas DIN is about torque.)

My boyfriend has the Vipec Evos that are 2.5 years old, and he's pretty happy with them. They're just a little more finicky to get in and out of. And my "ski wife" (best ski friend) just got Shifts last spring since she really didn't feel comfortable or in control on her tech bindings. They're a great alternative to a frame binding, but it takes her longer to transition since she has to get all the way out of the skis. I like being able to lock in, rip skins, and stash them in my jacket for days where I'm doing a lot of yoyo laps.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve been cutting weight in my gear due to my own small size and mediocre fitness, so moving from frame bindings to tech bindings once I could afford them was amazing. I am still on the same ski, so what’s most noticeable to me is that I’m not an inch+ over the ski. I love having my boot close to the ski. Like @Analisa , I do release from my Dynafits (some version of the Radical from 2 years ago) when appropriate. I’ve broken a knee multiple times skiing and playing soccer, so I was relieved the first time I came out of the Dynafit. Coincidentally, I also went from the BD Shiva to a lighter boot. Swapping the boot soles was always a huge PITA for me, too.

ESGCO

Certified Ski Diva
Oh boy, I just upgraded from the K2 Gotback and Dynafit Speed Radical to the Blizzard ZeroG 95 w/Ions. Love love love the ZeroG's, and getting used to the Ion's! Re: the Ions, I really wanted to try AT bindings with brakes after years without them (and struggling with the leashes inbounds.) I demo'ed skis with Ions last year and really liked the feel and figured it was worth the extra weight. And if I hate 'em, I'll just go back to the tried and true Speed Rads.

I have also been very happy with the Dynafit release and retention- I've never had a pre-release, and when I've had a good crash, they have released as expected.

For boots, I've had the Scarpa Gea RS for 6ish years and last year made the switch on my in-bounds skis to MNC bindings and ditched my alpine boots entirely, it's all Gea all the time. My feet and attitude are much improved on resort days!

Am looking for a good recommendation on a pack! I have an old Black Diamond with no hip pockets and I'm tired of stuffing my phone/buff/hanky/hat/snacks, etc...in all my jacket/pants pockets...eyeing the Osprey Kresta/Kamber 30L and the Patagonia Snow Drifter 30L. Anyone have experience with either?

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ESGCO - tried both packs. For me, the Snow Drifter was a no-go since it's more of a unisex size chart and was too long in the torso and a smidge wide in the shoulders.

I like that the Kresta also has more reinforcement on the A-frame ski carry, since edges can do a number on them.

I have the Deuter Freerider Pro 28, and I've been really impressed that it shows no signs of wear, and I like the gear loop, but it was also the only thing on the market when I bought. Both the Kresta and Snow Drifter are made out of the same 420D nylon plainweave packcloth, but the Snow Drifter is a little bit more minimal in its suspension. Lighter, but a little less comfortable if you do a lot of a-framing.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also have dynafit speed radical 2.0 and like them. The Dynafit Radical is also the demo binding choice of the mountain rental and AT shop demo fleet.

Plum also used by a guide friend.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Am looking for a good recommendation on a pack! I have an old Black Diamond with no hip pockets and I'm tired of stuffing my phone/buff/hanky/hat/snacks, etc...in all my jacket/pants pockets...eyeing the Osprey Kresta/Kamber 30L and the Patagonia Snow Drifter 30L. Anyone have experience with either?

I have the old version of the Kamber 32 (the Kode 30). I love it...mainly for the fit, it's one of the most comfortable backpacks I've ever owned. One complaint I have is that's it's kind of cumbersome to get into. You either need to unclip the shoulder tension straps to get into the backpanel, or unclip the ski/snowboard cross carry to fully open up the front pocket. However, the few extra seconds it takes to get the bag open is well worth it for the comfort of the pack. It's super rugged, I'm going on 8 years with it now, and it's in great shape.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the old version of the Kamber 32 (the Kode 30). I love it...mainly for the fit, it's one of the most comfortable backpacks I've ever owned. One complaint I have is that's it's kind of cumbersome to get into. You either need to unclip the shoulder tension straps to get into the backpanel, or unclip the ski/snowboard cross carry to fully open up the front pocket. However, the few extra seconds it takes to get the bag open is well worth it for the comfort of the pack. It's super rugged, I'm going on 8 years with it now, and it's in great shape.

Do you use it for backcountry? I find it so annoying to get into and out of, if there was a situation where I need to get my beacon and shovel out quickly I think I would be fiddling with all the connectors trying to remember what I have to unclip to get into the various storage compartments.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Do you use it for backcountry? I find it so annoying to get into and out of, if there was a situation where I need to get my beacon and shovel out quickly I think I would be fiddling with all the connectors trying to remember what I have to unclip to get into the various storage compartments.

I have used it many times for backcountry, but I've only recently started exploring the idea of avalanche terrain, so previously never thought about the shovel/probe access. The way it's set up, you could easily access a probe without undoing any clips, a beacon would be on my body, so wouldn't need to worry about accessing that quickly through the backpack. The only thing left to access quickly would be a shovel. I've definitely questioned the accessibility and if it'll be an issue or not. I don't have any issues fiddling with which clips go to which compartment (it's either two clips for the front or two for the back). To me, it's a minor annoyance, but nothing more.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, in a pinch I can get my shovel and probe in the front large pocket (the probe goes diagonal, the handle of the shovel goes in one of the mini pouches and the shovel goes in front of it all), but iirc the ski/board carry straps need to be unclipped to access that compartment. Which is fine and with practice would become second nature, but I do find it takes an extra few seconds which in an emergency might be an annoyance (I know sometimes when adrenaline is going, the body reacts with fumbling etc). I don't do bc as much as I used to, and I certainly haven't done a simulated rescue in a while so I'm also a bit rusty but every time I use the pack now, which is admittedly infrequently, I find all the straps a bit annoying when you need to access stuff.

elemmac

Angel Diva
On mine, the top of the front pocket can be accessed without unclipping the snowboard straps, but it won’t open all the way. Which is why I say a probe could be accessed but probably not a shovel. I completely understand why it’s considered a negative on the pack design. I’ll be taking an AIARE course at the end of the month, so should be able to get a bit of practice with it in simulated situations.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I have the dynafit radical 2.0, also an earlier version without the swivel toe on another pair of skis, as well as the atomic shift binding which skis like a dream, but definitely needs special care in terms of setting up so that it can release properly.

Order of preference to ski is shift then radical, but if it’s a long day of going uphill then radical. I’m too weak to do the shift for a full day. I have to work up to it -

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have Dynafit TLT Radical St 2.0 bindings. I find the pivoting toe piece to be really annoying to get into, but otherwise like them.

For packs I have both an Osprey Kresta 30 and Kresta 40. I like the size and sturdiness of the 30 when wearing it but agree that it can be cumbersome to get into because of having to unclip the shoulder tension straps. I find that once I get my full water bladder, shovel and probe loaded into this pack, I don't have much room to spare inside. I use it for warmer days when I don't have to pack a lot of extra layers.

The 40L I can fit anything and everything I want into, including my DSLR with a zoom lens and still have room to spare. The 40L also has two very roomy top zipper pockets instead of just one, which I love for stashing things like goggles, extra gloves, hat, etc. And it is also top loading, so you don't have to deal with unclipping the shoulder straps to get in and out of the main interior, which seems way larger than the 30L. The 40L does feel a bit complicated and strappy until you get used to the system but it's now my pack of choice for colder winter days or days when I want to bring my big camera. The top of it is also removeable if you want to convert it into a smaller pack, but then you lose those nice zipper pockets I mentioned. And it's a pound heavier than the 30L.

In both packs I keep my shovel and probe in the exterior, non-strappy zipper pocket so that access isn't an issue.

Last edited:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I’ve the Kresta 30L and love it. I’m somewhat limited in terms of packs because I’ve a really, really short torso. It doesn’t easily fit my old shovel blade, and I totally understand the advantages of a larger blade, but for me (small and kind of puny), I can’t move a ton of snow, so I downsized my shovel last year. I had been skiing with an older Mountainsmith mountaineering pack (35L?) that didn’t have a lot of structure unless stuffed, which bugged me on the downhill.

ESGCO

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the advice! I was able to find a new Kresta and Kamber to try on-- agreed that undoing the shoulder straps to get to the back panel is annoying, but not the end of the world. I found the larger of the women's sizes (Kresta S/M) and the smaller of the men's (Kamber S/M) both fit well. I'll be in Denver w/the Patagonia store and REI next week, hopefully one of them has the Patty ski pack I can try on. Depending on the width across the shoulders, it might work. I've been pretty loyal to Osprey for years but did get a Patty pack for mtn biking 2 years ago and love it- it's shrugged off some good crashes and abuse.

I feel a little silly but I just now noticed the BD Dawn Patrol 32 has hip pockets. I have the 25 and always wish I had a touch more storage + hip pockets. I may have just found my answer. (Although the new Osprey maroon color is very, very nice...)

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just now noticed the BD Dawn Patrol 32 has hip pockets. I have the 25 and always wish I had a touch more storage + hip pockets. I may have just found my answer. (Although the new Osprey maroon color is very, very nice...)

You can't go wrong with the Dawn Patrol. I used it (borrowed) for several weeks before I bought my other packs. So light weight and the s/m fit me very well - has all the necessary pockets. DH has this as his "split board" pack -- one of the few that fit him and works w/ his snowboard.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have skied on the dynafit speed bindings for over 10 years and love them. Once you get the hang of them, they are so simple and you can transition seamlessly even on a side hill with out taking your skis off. My husband has tried several other dynafit models and always goes back to the "classics" as he likes to call them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna