• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

All things ski gear for plus sized, former expert, woman!

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you! I need to post more often to get into the Divas only section. Can you share the name of the hotel/lodge with me? Thanks! Babette

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As you can see I was a west coast diva for many years. I'm a New Englander at heart but there is nothing in the world as great as skiing out west! I really miss it!!

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi! and Welcome, I'm another East coast Diva, I think you'll love the new skis (and boot's) I hope you can demo some skis. I 2nd the vote for the 2018 Blizzard black pearls, very forgiving, easy to turn yet if you put them on edge they respond.

also Keep chatting you'll be in the 'diva's only' section, I've met and skied with so many wonderful ski divas and yes to we are die hards! what better than plan ski trips when it's so hot out! Hope to make some turns with you this winter!
A
Hi! and Welcome, I'm another East coast Diva, I think you'll love the new skis (and boot's) I hope you can demo some skis. I 2nd the vote for the 2018 Blizzard black pearls, very forgiving, easy to turn yet if you put them on edge they respond.

also Keep chatting you'll be in the 'diva's only' section, I've met and skied with so many wonderful ski divas and yes to we are die hards! what better than plan ski trips when it's so hot out! Hope to make some turns with you this winter!

A certain birdie told me to take your advice seriously. I'm determined to demo a pair of black pearls... what to you like for comfortable boots that will accommodate a real calf muscle and not a Barbie doll's?

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I love your moniker. I used to love skiing w/out my poles!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and am planning to return to the slopes in 2019... after my upcoming total knee replacement. I've gained weight over the years and while I'm on track to lose about 50 lbs., I need to know what's out there for someone who weighs about 200 lbs. Everything from clothing to skis. During my "first ski career" from age 9 to 30-something, I skied everything and everywhere with confidence. I'm much older now (60) and am looking forward to enjoying the greens and blues but I do need the right equipment. Thanks in advance for your ideas and recommendations!
I have a friend who had double knee replacements after age 60. Must be about ten years ago already. She put surgery off for 5-10 years for assorted reasons. She took off 3 months as medical leave to rehab. As I remember, she was getting around pretty well even 4 weeks after surgery. Took a year or two to get back to a good weight. She had absolutely no regrets. She's not a skier, but liked running before her knees weren't up for the it. Obviously everyone's situation is different but I've read plenty of stories of people who are skiing at a high level after knee replacement or hip replacement surgery after completing post-surgery PT.

Thanks for the nice welcome marz! I live just outside of Boston, close to some acceptable day-ski spots as well as the big resorts in Vermont, NH, and Maine where all the cool kids go. I learned to ski on Mt. Hood and spent most of my younger years at Heavenly, Squaw, Northstar, Timberline and Mt. Hood Meadows, and a couple of trips to Aspen. It's a different world here, but New England is home and with snow making technology what it is, we even have days of sunshine and "powder!"

I'm slowly learning about suitable gear online and bookmarking accordingly. It's surprising how much better I feel about my surgery having skiing, however modestly, as a goal!

Hi there diymom! Wachusett! I used to ski there in high school when the lodge was, I kid you not, a Quonset hut! One rope tow as I recall. The website is so heartening, so much beautiful development.
My day ski areas will be Wachusett and Nashoba and I'd love to meet up with you. I'll pm you my contact info. Thanks for the clothing and gear tips, too; I think I've found what I need w/ Obermeyer.
I imagine there will be another Wachusett thread come fall. Here's the one for last season. I hope to get in a few more days skiing there. I like the place a lot, partially because of the high speed lifts but mostly because it's very well run. Great place midweek. The long greens are good for working on technique. I started playing with my daughter's tele gear last season (happen to fit) and Wachusett is a good place to practice.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/wachusett-2017-18.22140/

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love your moniker. I used to love skiing w/out my poles!

Thanks @Babette! I skied no poles for about 20ys..LOVE to ski free! My avatar is our dog "sarge" she's a she but is a tomboy someone dumped her as a puppy in the woods, we kept her, she LOVES snow, we have to leave a big patch of snow on the deck for her to lay in. Most likely part Akita. right now the shedding of her winter down is insane.. I brush a dog a day. lol

Boots. I have Atomic Hawk's 100's I too have real calves, I had Solomon's before that, but they were so old 7-8yrs and while comfy my feet were very loose and my feet very sloppy in them. I dreaded getting new boots, but when I put my foot in the Hawks they fit great and I love them. I can't get my ankle in Langes they are not for big calves. Try Solomon or the Atomic line.

Yes to the Black Pearls! I splurged and bought a pair of "Renouns" they are $$$$ but an amazing ski- a non-newtonian polymer in them that stiffens on ice and soft on bumps/powder, they are incredible. (I'm an instructor so got the employee discount) If money is no object, try the renoun 90's they did become my 1 ski quiver last winter!! I have Atomic 11's they 1 step down from a Race ski (I do love to go fast) they are only 71 under foot so very fast carving and a 'pay attention' ski.
The BP's are so nice, steady, reliable and perform great on groomers and in powder. If I didn't get the Renouns I would have bought the BP's 88's under foot.

When you start out again try some runs with out poles when it's nice 'cream cheese' groomed soft snow. Skiing no poles improves balance, body position and is fun. I started teaching again and started using them again but I still leave them at lifts on nice cruising day especially at Okemo. Poles if used wrong can result in twisting upper body or dragging poles/arms so body weight is not where it should be.

Skiing will come right back to you, it's like riding a bike, I can't wait to ski!

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
Another vote on the Atomic Hawk, prime. I have what is described as dancers legs. My DH called them thunder thighs.

My bootfitter doesn't sell boots, just fixes them. So he told me what to get. Like nopole, I'm an instructor too, so there was a discount.

As for skis...demo. In fact there are some places that will rent you skis for a season. And you can turn them in for a different pair throughout the season.

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a friend who had double knee replacements after age 60. Must be about ten years ago already. She put surgery off for 5-10 years for assorted reasons. She took off 3 months as medical leave to rehab. As I remember, she was getting around pretty well even 4 weeks after surgery. Took a year or two to get back to a good weight. She had absolutely no regrets. She's not a skier, but liked running before her knees weren't up for the it. Obviously everyone's situation is different but I've read plenty of stories of people who are skiing at a high level after knee replacement or hip replacement surgery after completing post-surgery PT.

I imagine there will be another Wachusett thread come fall. Here's the one for last season. I hope to get in a few more days skiing there. I like the place a lot, partially because of the high speed lifts but mostly because it's very well run. Great place midweek. The long greens are good for working on technique. I started playing with my daughter's tele gear last season (happen to fit) and Wachusett is a good place to practice.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/wachusett-2017-18.22140/

Oh, why does it have to be JULY? And why do I need to have my knee replace. Major pity party happening here but very much mitigated by everyone's posts, info, support! Thank you!

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @Babette! I skied no poles for about 20ys..LOVE to ski free! My avatar is our dog "sarge" she's a she but is a tomboy someone dumped her as a puppy in the woods, we kept her, she LOVES snow, we have to leave a big patch of snow on the deck for her to lay in. Most likely part Akita. right now the shedding of her winter down is insane.. I brush a dog a day. lol

Boots. I have Atomic Hawk's 100's I too have real calves, I had Solomon's before that, but they were so old 7-8yrs and while comfy my feet were very loose and my feet very sloppy in them. I dreaded getting new boots, but when I put my foot in the Hawks they fit great and I love them. I can't get my ankle in Langes they are not for big calves. Try Solomon or the Atomic line.

Yes to the Black Pearls! I splurged and bought a pair of "Renouns" they are $$$$ but an amazing ski- a non-newtonian polymer in them that stiffens on ice and soft on bumps/powder, they are incredible. (I'm an instructor so got the employee discount) If money is no object, try the renoun 90's they did become my 1 ski quiver last winter!! I have Atomic 11's they 1 step down from a Race ski (I do love to go fast) they are only 71 under foot so very fast carving and a 'pay attention' ski.
The BP's are so nice, steady, reliable and perform great on groomers and in powder. If I didn't get the Renouns I would have bought the BP's 88's under foot.

When you start out again try some runs with out poles when it's nice 'cream cheese' groomed soft snow. Skiing no poles improves balance, body position and is fun. I started teaching again and started using them again but I still leave them at lifts on nice cruising day especially at Okemo. Poles if used wrong can result in twisting upper body or dragging poles/arms so body weight is not where it should be.

Skiing will come right back to you, it's like riding a bike, I can't wait to ski!

I know skiing will come back to me. I can already "feel" my muscle memory working. Am so grateful for your gear advice; I know you're very knowledgable! I told my husband about this site and started reminiscing about our ski years together at Tahoe. He thinks I've gone mad, but deep down is getting excited about next season. I can tell. (I taught him to ski lol!).

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another vote on the Atomic Hawk, prime. I have what is described as dancers legs. My DH called them thunder thighs.

My bootfitter doesn't sell boots, just fixes them. So he told me what to get. Like nopole, I'm an instructor too, so there was a discount.

As for skis...demo. In fact there are some places that will rent you skis for a season. And you can turn them in for a different pair throughout the season.

Thanks Jilly! I've learned that my local mountain (Wachusett in MA) has one the a certified (?) boot fitter and that they have an expansive demo program. Just more to look forward to and kind of fume over, too (it's JULY!).

Jenny

Angel Diva
Oh, why does it have to be JULY? And why do I need to have my knee replace. Major pity party happening here but very much mitigated by everyone's posts, info, support! Thank you!
I understand your pain. Yesterday was the halfway point of my non weight bearing time. Four weeks to go until the cast comes off, then on to the next part of recovery, whatever it is! My friend who had both knees replaced last summer says she thinks my ankle recovery is worse than her knees. FWIW.

Also, no specific hotel for Diva get-togethers. Everyone makes their own arrangements, either separately or hooking up with others, and then we have a couple of meetup times on the hill and groups form and re-form, depending on who wants to ski what and then off we go. You don't even have to ski with the group if you’re not feeling it one day.

We also tend to get together for dinner. It, again, no requirement.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Welcome to the forum!

A certain birdie told me to take your advice seriously. I'm determined to demo a pair of black pearls.

Word to the wise... Listen to @nopoleskier . I got my Black Pearl 88s last season on her recommendation and they are wonderful skis for me.

As for boots, My advice is find a boot fitter you trust and get their opinion. Her’s the link to Bootfitters in the eastern US: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...egion-usa-eastern-central-mid-atlantic.16792/

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want to recommend a bootfitter at Killington for you. His name is Hal, at Northern Ski Works on the Killington Road. Starting in September, they have their next season boots in stock. Several friends also swear by his skills. Call ahead to make an appointment, so you can have his complete attention for as long as it takes. I also recommend a custom footbed, which he can do, as well. If you buy it at the same time as the boots, there is a substantial discount.

If you need any encouragement, here goes. I think you could plan a leaf peeping/covered bridge trip through the mountains, stopping at Killington for a boot fitting, sample some cheese and maple syrup at the Sugarbush Farm outside of Woodstock, and maybe a nice dinner in Quechee at the Simon Pearce Restaurant (be sure to go downstairs to see them blowing glass). If you are so inclined, buy some tax free adult beverages in NH before coming home.

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a great idea! I'll do it. Dh is starting to get psyched about skiing... he's kind of holding back due to fears about my knee/s. He doesn't want to see me get my hopes up. But they are UP. I'm strong and have been through health issues and injuries before and always come back stronger. He will need new boots fitted too! SO, all that is by way of saying that I will make an appointment soon with Hal. For September. I love Queechee and all things Simon Pearce, too! Good call!

Please send me a pm so that I can tell him who referred me.

Babette

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna