• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

All Things Mammoth 2011/2012!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sierra is so cute, and that's wonderful news that she wants to take more lessons.

And ... it's snowing!!!!

Will you be joining us at the McCoy sign at 10 am tomorrow? :clap:

Yes, I think we will! I am going to demo tomorrow out of Canyon, I think. I finally have my boots dialed in and am beginning to think I need a slightly softer ski. They are just too much work for me to ski and it shouldn't be that way, based on my lesson!

I know I've posted this elsewhere but I am just TICKLED PINK (so to speak) that Sierra is having such a great time. You watch, that kid will be zipping past us VERY soon.

See if you can get a photo of all of you on skis, we want to see the proud mama & papa too!!

I'll try to get a family photo!!

I'm in! Just give me enough notice to ditch work! For that it would be worth it.

And Contesstant, enjoy the little one growing to love the sport. Definitely take some family runs and cheerlead. They eat it up! As I told you before, my teen opens up on the chair lift like no where else. I think it's the captive audience situation combined with "doing something" together.:grouphug:

She did NOT like us teaching her this afternoon. Now it could have partly been due to the fact that it was the "witching hour" (late afternoon) or because she just doesn't want us to teach her. She's a stubborn one! I don't care--as long as she enjoys it. Although her taking lessons everyday is NOT going to happen in the future! We'll go bankrupt! :D

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's my future little Diva!
418191_3351883882240_1062779013_n.jpg

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
She did NOT like us teaching her this afternoon. Now it could have partly been due to the fact that it was the "witching hour" (late afternoon) or because she just doesn't want us to teach her. She's a stubborn one! I don't care--as long as she enjoys it. Although her taking lessons everyday is NOT going to happen in the future! We'll go bankrupt! :D

That's the classic situation - Michael probably could have taught me, but I learned (and continue to learn) better with Stew, because the family dynamic is absent.

I would bet her instructor would have some good tips on how to maximize your time together if Sierra is not keen on seeing her parents in the role of teacher. I'm sure they see it all the time.

Maybe the "witching hour" is the cue that it's time for "happy hour," lol.

mustski

Angel Diva
Just ski with her and cheerlead. Red light - green light is a great game to play and they don't even know they are working on mastering the art of stopping! I am so glad that you are having a great time! The pictures are adorable.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought Black Pearls! OMG we so can't afford it but they changed my skiing! Skied with Skibum and her DH for most of the day and had a great time. I was demoing out of the on-mountain shops so I could swap out throughout the day. Tried Salomon Lady--meh, Rossignol Temptation 82-fun and sporty but a bit squirrely, then skied over to main lodge where they had them...THE BLACK PEARLS. I was STOKED! Took two runs and couldn't stop smiling! Every run I was yahooing at the top of my lungs (I'm not kidding!) Skibum noticed an improvement in my skiing immediately. :clap:

So, it was a great day at Mammoth and now I have two more days to ski the Pearls. Pics to come later :D

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought Black Pearls! OMG we so can't afford it but they changed my skiing! Skied with Skibum and her DH for most of the day and had a great time. I was demoing out of the on-mountain shops so I could swap out throughout the day. Tried Salomon Lady--meh, Rossignol Temptation 82-fun and sporty but a bit squirrely, then skied over to main lodge where they had them...THE BLACK PEARLS. I was STOKED! Took two runs and couldn't stop smiling! Every run I was yahooing at the top of my lungs (I'm not kidding!) Skibum noticed an improvement in my skiing immediately. :clap:

So, it was a great day at Mammoth and now I have two more days to ski the Pearls. Pics to come later :D

Someone else here said the BPs were good for someone of your body type...I wonder if the Lottas just don't work for you 'cuz you're so petite. The K2 Tough Luvs are DA BOMB for me but I am really liking driving a heavier, more aggressive ski.

Or it may have nothing to do with any of this and they are just The Perfect Ski For You!!! I am so stoked for you!!!! You are gonna owe Matt for a while on this one. :D

PICTURES, babe, PICTURES are now required!! Squeal squeal!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow!

Congratulations, enjoy them for many years of many runs!

Your little one is SO CUTE. Especially in pink.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow!

Congratulations, enjoy them for many years of many runs!

Your little one is SO CUTE. Especially in pink.

We need to make some runs on our Pearls together!!
And thanks, she's a funny, funny girl.

Here we are today, doing Marta ears with Skibum4ever and her DH
427547_3360951948936_1423189747_33321086_1303413428_n.jpg

Here's DH and me at McCoy
426005_3360950588902_1423189747_33321085_1050640414_n.jpg

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I clocked myself at 37mph today!! The fastest I've ever skied before is 25mph!

Got the goofy lift shot of the beautiful new Black Pearls
421933_3365680667151_1423189747_33322169_1990284939_n.jpg

Conditions were a little sticky this afternoon since it got up to 50 degrees on the lower mountain (boo!) so I headed in early since we had peewee to watch anyway. Tomorrow it's supposed to be warm again, but we should be able to head up higher where the better snow will be. It's our last day and I'm so sad! :(

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, we are back home and I am sad. We had so much fun skiing with Skibum and her DH--she and I match up well as do our DH's as far as skiing types go! The guys would hit the steeps together and bomb the hill while we carved turns on the nice groomers. It was so much fun--thanks, Skibum for letting us hang with you! And for sticking with me on the way back down yesterday with my vision so impaired. It actually got worse into the night but finally is feeling a bit better this afternoon. Whew!!

I am now plotting our next trip. With DH facing a pending deployment to the middle east this spring, time is running short. Problem is, I kind of killed our budget with the new skis. A catch-22 for sure!!

Overall, conditions at Mammoth are fantastic despite the lack of snow. The groomers are skiing so well. I do hope to get back up there in some fresh stuff to take the Black Pearls into it where I know they'll shine.

If any of you are heading up in March, let me know! I could probably swing a Thursday through Sunday kind of trip!

:thumbsup:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The other thing I'd like to look into is a trip the week after Easter, somewhere around April 9-14. Anyone interested? I'd be looking to share accomodations and get cheap lift tickets. There's some really good deals/units on vrbo this year.

I was hunting for this post! DH might already be in his "combat" training then, but with peewee doing so well between day care and ski lessons, this could be doable sans DH. Though I'd rather go in March when he can go (OK, let's be honest, I'd rather go both times!)

I'd probably do a Thursday-Sunday type thing. Definitely can't go all week again. :( I loved the location of the condo we stayed in. There are two-bedroom units available in the same building but I'd have to check rates. Some of their non-refurbished units were renting for dirt-cheap recently. Might be something to look into. The location really was fantastic.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I didn't take many pictures, but I have a few I can share.

mamm_0206.jpg

Not a lot of people on Monday afternoon. The clouds portend a storm on Tuesday, but only a very minor one. :(

DSCN3134.jpg

A view of the upper mountain.

JPEGImage928.jpg

My friend Carol as she skis toward our 10 am meeting at the "sign". During the week we met up with some different Mammoth forum friends, in addition to contesstant and her DH, but never managed a group picture. :noidea:

DSCN3139.jpg

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We sure did have fun though, Skibum! They have 7" of fresh today with more on the way. We missed it, but I'm not complaining because overall, conditions last week were REALLY good. I DO want to get my new BFF's (the Black Pearls) into some powder, though. I skied a bit of powder last year at Brian Head and did really well in it, so am itching to try it again with skis more geared toward it!

mustski

Angel Diva
I am just happy to see bumps! I feel like it has been ages since I have had an opportunity to ski bumps. Hopefully they will still be there in April and not groomed away!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am just happy to see bumps! I feel like it has been ages since I have had an opportunity to ski bumps. Hopefully they will still be there in April and not groomed away!

Nah, those areas you see the moguls don't get groomed. I am tossing around coming up at the same time! Looks like VickiK will also be there and Mary also wants to head up. We shall see! I have to pay off the last trip first!! I am DYING to get out again!

I really miss living in Sacramento where we could easily make one day's skiing a day trip (much like we can here in SoCal, but with much better skiing, and if you knew what you were doing, fewer crowds!) We used to go every weekend. If we were rich, I guess we could fly into and out of Mammoth in one day. However...

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be there, with bells on!

Feb 24-26
Mar 9-10

My cell, in super secret code only a real-live diva can decipher, is:
seeks-2-seeks to-f5ve-two tree-for-nein-four

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be there, with bells on!

Feb 24-26
Mar 9-10

My cell, in super secret code only a real-live diva can decipher, is:
seeks-2-seeks to-f5ve-two tree-for-nein-four

Join us locally on Friday if you can too! We are skiing Snow Valley or Summit, waiting to see how the breeze stacks up. We have a thread going in Meet on the Hill.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't. I'm having oral surgery. Which I'd much rather do over ski.

NOT.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bummer!! Though I've suffered through severe tooth pain before, and frankly the root canal was a blessing. Hope all goes well, and hope to ski with you soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly