• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

All Things Mammoth 2011/2012!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
kikiToday dawned cool and windy. We hit the slopes by 9 am because we planned to quit early. The snow made my teeth chatter. We stayed low and followed the sun as runs began to soften. It turned out to be one of our best days of the season.

Some interesting cloud formations:

IMG_20120430_104444_edit0.jpg

My ski season is now officially over.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am going to Mammoth for a final ski weekend, mixed in with other activities. Am very excited.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's my full report.
Friday - drive up. Instead of hauling up to Mammoth, there was a detour to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. Enjoyed great views of the Sierra Nevada range from the other side of the Owens Valley. Hiked the 4.25 mile loop trail, looking for the unmarked 4,600 year old Methusalah tree. In Mammoth, there was yummy Giovanni's pizza for dinner.
Saturday - late start skiing at 10 am but once started, kept going until the chairs stopped at 3 pm. Skied all open lifts (1, 2, 3, 6, 11, 23, Gondola). Soft snow but so much fun, and hardly anyone was there. Later in the afternoon, explored the roads around the lakes and went to Roberto's for dinner, love that place.
Sunday - did Saturday all over again except for starting/stopping an hour earlier. Stump Alley, one of the biggest runs, was empty in the afternoon. I watched Chair 2 run for 10 minutes with no one on it.

I felt very fortunate to be there. They had morning race camps, and those salted runs made for pretty nice skiing later on. You could see the resort working hard, trying to harvest the remaining snow, to push it around to create skiable strips to get you from one area to another. They're having a women's ski camp next weekend, mmmm, don't know how it'll be.

It felt like summer, which is even better than winter. And I was down one pound this morning, lol. No hating please!
:ski2:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome!! My husband always wants to side trip to the Bristlecone Pine forest. Doing that with a 5YO in the car just doesn't appeal to me as she barely tolerates the 5+ hour drive as it is. So did you ever find the old tree? That's a little crazy that it's unmarked!

I didn't think they'd still have that many lifts spinning. That's awesome! I would love to ski Stump with nobody on it. One of the reasons I loathe that run is it's always mayhem. I usually peel off and ski Patrolmen's instead.

And hey, if you lost a pound doing it, even better! Oh, even with eating at Roberto's (went there for my birthday--good stuff!)

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bristlecone Pine forest: That tree is unmarked so that people don't take 'souvenirs'. The Visitor's Center is about 23 miles off from 395, eastwards from Big Pine. It's a scenic drive, takes maybe 40 min to get up there. There's a 3/4 mile Discovery trail too, which might be do-able with your little one. Seems like it has all the same types of views and tree formations that the longer trail has.

Stump Alley: I feel the same. Having Stump wide-open like that was a treat!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
My son was at Mammoth last weekend. A friend took a picture and sent to him of what remains today. Pretty trashed. "This ain't 2011!" Oh well.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Per the Mammoth website, they're open for skiing and riding; hours today are 7:30am-2pm. Chairs running are 1, 3, 6, 23. Gondola will be running on the weekend. But I'm done for the season.

Summer beckons: cycling, hiking, trying out stand-up paddling, reclining...maybe.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
My son was at Mammoth last weekend. A friend took a picture and sent to him of what remains today. Pretty trashed. "This ain't 2011!" Oh well.

A friend of ours who skied last weekend said he could see the degeneration from day to day. For example, a run that was skiable on Saturday, open on Sunday but did not quite make it back to the lift without some walking, and then closed on Monday. They are really pushing snow around to make it through the weekend.

And yet the next couple of days are supposed to be below freezing, windy, and snowing - typical Mammoth weather, but not what we would hope for this Memorial weekend.

mustski

Angel Diva
Definitely not the best winter season we've had! I had fun with what we had though. Here's hoping next year is better. I hope you are continuing to heal well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna