• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

All Things Mammoth 2011/2012!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, with the early snows here and Mammoth preparing to open (including child care!) in time for Thanksgiving, I am already working on planning some trips up there.

As of now, looking at early January (like around the 6th or 7th for five days, departing before the holiday weekend madness begins.) I am working with the owner of some condos at Canyon Lodge to get some good deals for my small family in a place that my brother can also crash at if he can sneak away from his new job at all.

Any feedback on staying near Canyon (ski-in-out access) would be appreciated! I understand we can hop the gondola to the village for free. This is key for us as we'd love to be able to pop over there in the evenings or on off days with our daughter. Ski in and out is ALWAYS a bonus, even though we'll have to drop our daughter at daycare at Main Lodge, we still won't have to hassle with parking.

Anyway, if any of you will be there, keep us posted on dates, conditions, etc.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Condo BOOKED for January 21-27th! We are staying at a ski-in-ski-out location at Canyon Lodge.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds very good. :smile:

Known Mammoth trips so far for me are:
- Dec 9-11 w/ Huntington Beach Ski Club
- Jan 6-8 w/ friends, condo tbd

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds very good. :smile:

Known Mammoth trips so far for me are:
- Dec 9-11 w/ Huntington Beach Ski Club
- Jan 6-8 w/ friends, condo tbd

We wanted to go the 6th-8th of January, but husband has a big to-do at work that week. We will definitely be up again, after January, probably with the Aerospace Ski Club. Also looking to do a quick weekend in December, just trying to decide if we can really afford it!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Today was our first ski day of the season. It was wonderful to be on skis again.
No pain from my knee or shoulder, so I'm a happy camper. :thumbsup:

Nice snow, decent coverage. Broadway, Face Lift and the lower Gondola are the main lifts that are open. They need a big storm before Thanksgiving.

IMG_20111114_154033_edit0.jpg

IMG_20111114_153033_edit0.jpg

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Decent coverage is right! Wow! Another storm appears to be heading our way this weekend. Wonder if it'll hit up there? Supposed to be a much colder storm than the last one. :D

mustski

Angel Diva
I am jealous. We are working on a Mammoth trip but haven't worked out the dates yet. I'm eager enough to just take off next week if I can work it out. I need dog friendly accommodations though and that always makes it a bit trickier.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw a lot of dog-friendly condos listed on various websites. Here are a couple, if you don't already have them:
https://www.vragent.com/rentals/US/California/Mammoth%20Lakes

https://www.mammothrentalbyowner.com/mammoth_MoreCondos_ForRent.php?ct=0&Destination=Condo_Rentals_In_Mammoth_Lakes

Don't forget to also check Tripadvisor and Homeaway.

I wonder if the storms coming this weekend are promising much for the Central Sierra? I'm REALLY itching to get up there in Mid-December, especially since I just ordered hubby new skis (and it's a surprise!)

mustski

Angel Diva
We booked for Spring break. We are heading up April 8th and staying until the 14th. We booked to stay at Eidelweiss (in a totally cute little cabin) because they love, love, love dogs. I can't bear to leave the baby at home! She is perfectly happy to get her 18 hours in while we ski, as long as we take her for walks when we get back. I am so excited!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have rebooked our trip thanks to 1) Air Force declining leave the week we had booked, and 2) lack of snow! We are now going Feb 4-10th, still saying at the Canyon lodge area. Some super deals on condo rentals have been popping up as of late!

Now PLEASE PLEASE let it snow! The current 7-day forecast is pathetic!! We need a couple of big pacific storms to roll in STAT!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And..........here come the storms, finally!!!!!!!!! Time to start reserving lessons, daycare, etc. Woohoo!!!

"Saturday and Sunday --HEAVY SNOW -- -> Colder storms with copious mid Pacific moisture and modified arctic air push in off of the Pacific Ocean, causing heavy snow across the area, falling down to 6,000 feet and lower (to 3,000 feet by Sunday). The first storm moves in on Saturday, with some great powder expected to top off the dense base of snow. Areas above 8,000 feet and along the crest are expected to see 8+ feet of snow Thursday through Sunday, with more coming next week."

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good heavens, it's about time. I hope Tahoe and the rest of the Sierras get a good dose too...and I won't argue if it swings south a bit!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
We might try to get up there next week if these storms really come through. :bounce:

Anyone else planning on being there?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good heavens it's about time. I hope Tahoe and the rest of the Sierras get a good dose too...and I won't argue if it swings south a bit!

It's supposed to hit SoCal this weekend BIG TIME! The Tahoe area is supposed to get pounded, too!

We might try to get up there next week if these storms really come through. :bounce:

Anyone else planning on being there?

We go the 4th for a week. :thumbsup:

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My instructor in Utah said, back in December, that "The Day" was January 21st. I hope he's got money on that one, because he would win that bet.

I am just hopeful we can get the Sierra and Rockies snowpacks up to normal levels - water shortages are horrible to live through. California has learned a lot in terms of not wasting water, but every time I see pictures of Lake Mead my blood runs cold. It's still 100 feet-plus below its high water mark, and less than half full.

Our skis have all been carefully waxed and buffed and are ready to go...can't WAIT for that snow to return! I may shout out loud on my first run from all the pent-up excitement.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My instructor in Utah said, back in December, that "The Day" was January 21st. I hope he's got money on that one, because he would win that bet.

I am just hopeful we can get the Sierra and Rockies snowpacks up to normal levels - water shortages are horrible to live through. California has learned a lot in terms of not wasting water, but every time I see pictures of Lake Mead my blood runs cold. It's still 100 feet-plus below its high water mark, and less than half full.

Our skis have all been carefully waxed and buffed and are ready to go...can't WAIT for that snow to return! I may shout out loud on my first run from all the pent-up excitement.

The forecast is holding, and I just confirmed our condo change today and am stoked!!!

Yes, the water shortage never REALLY goes away. I struggle with the fact that there is less xeriscaping here in SoCal, since we are in a very arid climate. We have a lawn that is ridiculously big. Nice job on that one, Air Force!!

My skis are back and look pretty fantastic. Hey, any chance you can sneak up to SV on a weekday? I just realized I could go on a Tuesday or Thursday and bring Sierra and put her in the kids lessons, or just leave her in school for a full day the other days (more logistics with that, though.) My eye is on next week depending on what this weekend's storm does! :becky:

mustski

Angel Diva
OK . .. no fair ... weekday skiing! Aargh! I told you the weather Gods would annoy me. Just when I can't go skiing, it snows. Next time, check my performance dates and then book your vacations. I am very happy for you though.:becky:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I spent the weekend at Schweitzer in North Idaho. The jr racing qualifiers that were to be at Mammoth this past week were moved here. I guess Schweitzer has some of the most snow in the west right now!

And more on the way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna