• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: All mountain ski for a petite skier looking to improve

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sheeva 9 or 10. They love to turn, so it's easy to explore challenging terrain and build confidence. You can take it slow, but still maintain fluidity, rhythm, and flow - less side slipping and struggling. They really deliver in all conditions and all terrain. The only place I feel like they're not ideal is pointing down the fall line and making long, fast, sweeping turns (which was mostly remedied by sizing up)

skisenyc

Certified Ski Diva
Hi @glaciergirl,
Welcome to the forum!
We’re the same height/weight, and I also strength train (twins? Haha!)
I think it was November or December, I was reading around the forum, @NYSnowflake wrote this impressive review of her new Total Joys (158cm), So naturally I walked into our local ski shop and bought a pair of Total Joys. Because that is exactly how you buy a pair of ski. LOL
If you get a chance demo a pair. Because their name is exactly what they are. For me it was instant everything improvement in all terrain. I skied 9 times on them this season so far. Huge fan!

skisenyc

Certified Ski Diva
I love my Total Joys! We were at Saint Sauveur a couple weeks ago, in ice, crud, low visibility conditions; and I was still in control. Zero chattering.
My previous pair of Elan Black Magics have nothing on these.

glaciergirl

Diva in Training
Maybe so @skisenyc ! That's a pretty good endorsement for the total joy, I'll try to find a pair. I was at the hill today and tried a Dynastar Menace 90 and a Head Kore 93. They only had the total joy in 153 and 163.

Conditions today we're pretty marginal, it was crazy windy and it hasn't snowed in a while. I really had fun on the menace, even on the steepest icy pitches I felt confident. The Kore was definitely more built for powder, it felt hard to get on edge and unstable at speed on the scraped snow.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you're fairly athletic, you can probably manage a Volkl ski. I think it's largely preference as to what you want out of a ski, but I'm 5'1" and about 100 lbs and Volkl skis are hands away my favorite skis. Former gymnast; tiny and lightweight. That's not to turn you away from other skis, b/c living in PA, I don't get a lot of demo experiences... like Blizzard or Nordica and so I can't speak to those. I get Volkl isn't a fan favorite of tiny skiers, but I still love them despite my size. But I think because of my gymnastics background, I'm a hair more aggressive than I'd be otherwise.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm hoping to try the Santa Ana 93 (158)

I bought the Santa Ana’s in 161 (I’m 5’4”) this past fall and they’re wonderful. With a bit of strength (which it sounds like you have) you can maneuver them over pretty much every type of snow and their small turning radius makes them pretty great in trees. I’m a fairly cautious skier and they gave me confidence I didn’t have on other skis. But of course you may like something else better, so demoing is always a good idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna