• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: All mountain ski for a petite skier looking to improve

glaciergirl

Diva in Training
I'm so stoked I found this site! It's a wealth of info that hard to find anywhere else. I am looking for some suggestions for a new all mountain ski - I am 5'2" 135lbs, a weightlifter so I have the capacity to put oomph into my skis, but I haven't figured out how yet! I skipped all the basics when I started skiing 10 years ago, bought touring gear, and learned in the back country. A few years ago I upgraded my skis to a Salomon Stella 102, which I really enjoy skiing, but they are set up for touring.

Now I'm married to an avid skier and we take our daughter to the resort (we live int he Canadian Rockies), so I invested in my first ever pair of downhill boots! I want to get a pair of all mountain skis that I can use to learn to actually be a good skier, not a survivor :becky: I am an experienced skier, I can get myself down nearly anything, but I am pretty timid and that doesn't always serve me well. My husband would probably call me a laid back skier who needs confidence. I plan to take a lesson or two to improve my technique and want a ski that will perform as I get better, but won't throw me for a loop right away.

I am waffling between a stiffer ski like a Volkl Secret 92, or something that might feel more familiar like the Salomon Lux 92. Or maybe there's something out there I haven't thought of??

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi and Welcome!! I'm sure you'll get plenty more tips from the divas.
I also hope you have a demo day so you can try different skis in the same conditions.

So many good skis but what one person loves another hates. For instance I personally have never been a Volkl girl- seems like I'm on for the ride instead of skiing the ski, they always seem so stiff. I like playful responsive skis.

My Go-to ski is the Renoun Z-90 it is an amazing ski.. $$$ but just amazing. No tip chatter, big sweet spot, responsive and has zoom factor.

I'll suggest finding a ski with a big 'sweet spot' Vs a racing style ski that you have to "be on" and if you're out of balance they 'buck you off' or feel twitchy.

I have demo'd the Volkl Secret but was the smaller waist (think it was 72) it is a race car ski.
Not much of a sweet spot. Not sure if the 92 is similar stiff race style?

Since you are looking for confidence I'd say go with the Lux (i haven't tried that ski) but a ski that makes you smile in all conditions is the right ski. IMO it's Best to learn to ski well slowly then you gradually increase your speed and confidence. Speed does NOT equal competence :-)

Hurrah for a couple tune up lessons- Let them know you want to work on confidence as well as technique. When skiing if you are curling your toes.. Stop! Re-group, start over, don't forget to Breathe!

I know there are quite a few petite divas that love the Yumi, and Head Joy series.

My other ski is the Liberty VMT I have the 76W but they make fatter. Really Fun ski, big sweet spot, performs well on frozen corduroy and in piles of snow. Liberty makes some wider skis. Rossis get rave reviews in my area as do Nordicas and the New k2 Mindbender series are nice skis..

Have fun finding the perfect ski and Please let us know what ski (s) you liked and didn't like

Here's to lots of soft turns!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! You're a few inches taller, heavier, and much stronger than I was when I started demo'ing skis about ten years ago so I'm not sure my preferences are relevant. I'm over 60 and not interested in backcountry at all, although after several years of lessons I'm skiing a fair amount off-piste when there is good snow during trips out west.

90 underfoot is a good choice. My all-mountain skis are 85mm, which I've skied in assorted conditions out west including 15+ inches of fresh powder at more than one location last winter.

Perhaps @mountainwest has advice about choosing skis. She also has an expert DH and they mix backcountry with lift-served at Grand Targhee. She was a fast learner after they moved out west.

kiki

Angel Diva
Welcome @glaciergirl ! Looks like you and I have similat statistics, I am 5’2 and 140lbs with my xmas weight right now. Not as strong or fit as you though from the sound of it. I ski Whistler so likely similar ski conditions as you have in the rockies.

i agree that 90ish is a good width, and recommend demoing skis before you commit, we are all so different preference wise!

Like @nopoleskier I love my Z-90s...for me they are the best ski in the world lol! But before that passion, i also really enjoyed my Volkl Flairs, though at 81 they were a bit narrow for conditions on snow days

Happy to welcome you here!! You will have to give is updates on how it goes!

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world. Where in the rockies??

I fell in love with Brahma 82's this past November when I was in Lake Louise. I think you might find the Black Pearl a little soft with your power. Blizzard has made some changes for next season, so these skis should be on a discount this spring. Renoun is a ski out of the states and with the exchange can get expensive. There are no demo's on that ski either. They give you # days to try it, like Sleep Country with their 90 day sleep guarantee.

That is the one thing about Alpine skis, there are demo days at most mountains. Or even in some shops for a price that you get back on the purchase.

glaciergirl

Diva in Training
Thanks for all the advice! I haven't been able to figure out when there's demo days on the hill yet, but I have to do a bit of calling around I think to find out more. It sounds like that's definitely the best way to figure it out.

@Jilly
Welcome to our world. Where in the rockies??

I'm in Calgary - skiing at Nakiska with my daughter :smile: I figured this was a good year to improve my skiing if I'm not getting pow turns at Louise or Sunshine!

@nopoleskier and @kiki - I haven't heard of Renoun before, sounds like maybe it's not the best option in Canada, but I'll keep an eye out when I head south (which I do occasionally)

newboots

Angel Diva
So happy you’ve joined us! I’m an East Coast skier (Vermont) so I don’t have any recommendations for your conditions. But I wanted to say:

:ski3: :welcome: :ski3:

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome! A few questions before I make recommendations... What sort of skiing are you planning to do most with the skis that you want to buy? Powder seeking off-piste? Will you want them to be able to carve groomers at all? Do you like to ski bumps or crud? And what sort of snow conditions does your home mountain typically have?

glaciergirl

Diva in Training
What sort of skiing are you planning to do most with the skis that you want to buy?
I prefer getting off piste, into the bowls and trees. I enjoy skiing bumps, too, but I also spend time on the groomers, especially with my daughter. She'll probably be a better skier than me in a year or two unless I step up my game.

And what sort of snow conditions does your home mountain typically have?
For the next year or two I'm skiing the driest mountain in the Rockies :doh: So, it gets skied out regularly, can be patchy/bumpy and is icy. However, I take myself out for grownup days at other resorts around where there can be good powder and good coverage. On the east side of the Rockies we still don't get huge dumps often, though, and things can get chunky off piste.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok gotcha. That sounds more like east coast conditions, in which case some of the recommendations above might serve you well. I would also recommend checking out the Nordica Santa Ana line. I have the Santa Ana 88s, and have also demoed the 93s and 100s. All of them performed really well on hardpack. As far as the width goes, wider will give you better off-piste performance. Don’t go too short or too soft if your goal is to progress. What boots did you get?

Jilly

Staff member
You might over power any of the Joy line. Try the Supershapes/unisex line. I did. I'm heavier, but with bad knees, so Don't have your power in the legs...

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I'd also recommend checking out the Head Kore 93. The width varies depending on length. They are quite light but are on the stiffer side. I have had mine in spring-like chop and bumps, soft granular, and hard snow with scraped off areas and they performed well in all conditions. Can't wait to try them on fresh powder some day. I prefer more playful skis with pop than skis that feel solid and want to mow over everything in their path. I find them to have a wide sweet spot. You can pressure the tips and really drive the skis or ski more centered and relaxed depending on how you feel. I found the faster you push the skis the more fun they are. A few times I scared myself with how fast I was going but felt completely stable! LOL

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
@Jilly Thanks! I am going to call some shops this weekend, too. Nakiska has Total Joys to rent, which I will try out.
I have the Total Joys and I am a petite second season skier looking to improve also. I am extremely happy with the Total Joys and have skied in everything from 18” of freshies, ice, boilerplate, hard groomers, variable conditions, and spring mashed potatoes. They’re very versatile and confidence inspiring for me, and have helped me start skiing diamond groomers, and some bumps. I would love to hear what your experience is with them,

mustski

Angel Diva
I too have the Renoun Z90 and, now that I moved the binding forward a notch, I love them on the hardback groomers for sure. They are super responsive and quick edge to edge. I'm not sure how well they will do in soft stuff and chopped up crud though. I didn't like them in spring snow last season but that was before I moved the binding forward. I have my Volkl 90eights for soft snow days and variable conditions. I don't find the Renouns as versatile as other skis with that waist width.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dreamofskiing