• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alberta 2017/2018

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
It's an amazing early season - everything's open. And it's snowing. Come and get it!

...but preferably not this week :smile: we've been in a cold snap and I haven't done any skiing since Christmas. Many of the lifts haven't even opened before mid-day. It was -31 c before the wind chill this morning in Calgary. But the cold snap ends on Monday! Woo hoo! Here I come New Year's skiing!

IMG_2458-1.jpg Photo by Derek Ryder

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
Just keep getting better... :-). I have a Lake Louise pass this year.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
This past week has been amazing - one big storm, and pretty much a daily refresh of between 5 and 15 cm every day. Here are some photos from yesterday at Sunshine Village:

IMG_8255.JPG

Lots of untracked well into the afternoon!

IMG_8258.JPG

The snow accumulation in the treed areas has been phenomenal. You can't really tell by looking at this photo, but some of that fresh snow is upwards of 25 cm deep. And for some reasons, no one seems to be really skiing in the trees. Yay!

Catherine

Certified Ski Diva
I was in the trees ! On the Star Trek side of Wawa
Was there on Saturday, it snowed all day.
Couldn't go upper mountain, no visibility. I am going to explore Goats Eye on Tuesday.
Any recommendations ?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I was in the trees ! On the Star Trek side of Wawa
Was there on Saturday, it snowed all day.
Couldn't go upper mountain, no visibility. I am going to explore Goats Eye on Tuesday.
Any recommendations ?

No vis is a constant condition at 'Sunshine' village :smile: What level skier are you, and what do you like?
I love Star Trek :smile: it's one of my favourite tree runs. If you haven't done Tincan Trees on Wawa, highly recommended.
On Goat's Eye, they've done something to the burnt out trees on Wildfire, and they're now completely skiable. I love skiing trough those trees. Wildfire is a great run, as is Rolling Thunder. If you like bumps, you'll love Gladerunner - it's one of my favourite runs on Goat's Eye. If you like really really tight trees, the Big Woody is where you want to (but I haven't managed to get down that or Hell's Kitchen yet because the trees are SO tight). If the visibility is really bad, stick to either Sunshine Coast or Freefall to come to mid-mountain - they'll have the orange circles on them. Freefall will be bumped up, Sunshine Coast groomed. I really love FIGJAM on the upper mountain - it will be steep and a little bumpy, but the trees are pretty far apart, so it's fun! If the visibility is good and there has been a lot of snow, I can definitely recommend Cleavage/Ewe First/Mother-in-Law - they're a great taste of the South Side Chutes terrain. I'm happy to recommend more!! Are you going to be there at the end of this week? I'll be there :smile:

Catherine

Certified Ski Diva
Love Tin can trees ! I am a solid intermediate skier. Thought I was pretty good until I met the skiers out here !

I looked up all your recommendations. I have been to freefall,and want to check out the Goat Glades. My daughter is in the Southern Alberta Freestyle Club so we are there every Saturday.
Let me know if you are there. I am definitely going Tuesday !

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
That's great! We will be there on Friday this week - not Saturday, we're going to see a puppet version of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night in Calgary :smile: And then I will probably be around there somewhere Sunday and/or Monday.

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
At Nakiska yesterday with my daughter for Ladies Day. :-) So fun. And here's what's in store for Saturday, with my son (pretty much a repeat of last weekend, which was amazing...):
upload_2018-2-8_8-12-15.png

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello Albertans! We're off on a road-trip next week and wondering how busy Lake Louise or Sunshine are likely to be 3rd/4th March. Ideally we'd avoid weekends but we're picking a friend up from Calgary on Friday and considering either Fernie or the Banff area for the first couple of days. Is it usually super busy this time of year?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Hello Albertans! We're off on a road-trip next week and wondering how busy Lake Louise or Sunshine are likely to be 3rd/4th March. Ideally we'd avoid weekends but we're picking a friend up from Calgary on Friday and considering either Fernie or the Banff area for the first couple of days. Is it usually super busy this time of year?

You should be fine - it's not a long weekend, just a regular weekend. I see lots of snow in the forecast next week though and that makes it busier. For both Sunshine and Lake Louise, I would suggest getting to the actual parking lot no later than 8.30 - that will give you the best guarantee of getting a good parking spot, close to the lodge/gondola. For Sunshine, that means being at the Sunshine exit from Highway 1 by around 8.15 or so.
If you have a Mountain Collective pass, or if you're heading up to Sunshine after 10am, I would recommend the ski shuttle from town instead (skibig3.com/ski-shuttle/). For Louise, same thing - if you are in the lot by 8.30, that's ideal. If you plan on going to Louise later, after 9.30 or so, I would recommend not parking in the regular parking lot. Instead, as you are driving up towards the resort, about a couple of hundred meters before the resort, you will see a parking lot on the right that says "Skoki Lodge" - go there. And park as close as you can to the trailhead there. You will be right next to the ski out (run number 155 on the trail map), and you can just put on your ski boots and ski down to the lodge area. At the end of the day, you can either do the skiout from Larch (be warned - it has a couple of flat parts), or you can take a diversion from Lower Meadowlark to the parking lot.

Once you're on the mountain, it won't feel that crowded - the worst part is getting parking that's not too far out, and it's worse at Sunshine than at Louise. Once you get up the gondola at Sunshine, crowds will disperse easily. At Louise, I would suggest getting off the main frontside runs early in the morning. People seem to like to do warm up runs on the front side first thing, so it will be busiest there in the morning. i woudl suggest to take the gondola up at Louise, and either ski down to the "Top o' the World' lift and lap that (both on the front and back side), or go over to Larch and start there. If it's not windy, you can always go to Top o', ski down to the summit platter and lap the front and backsides off of the summit platter.

I would suggest Banff over Fernie - lots of rain then snow then rain then snow lately at Fernie. I've heard there's lots of weird manky snow there right now. And I think this week is going to be a warm spell after the last couple of days of cold.

Wish I could meet up with you - however, I'll be coming back from Europe this weekend, so no skiing until after that for me! Have an amazing time! And please feel free to post any questions, or PM me for anything else!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank so much @Albertan ski girl - that's very helpful. Getting to the parking lot in plenty of time isn't going to be a problem - we'll have a horribly jet-lagged mad-keen skier with us who'll be awake by 4am for the first few days. :smile:

I've not skied LL or SS for a few years now - I think we managed to hit every dry spell for the best part of 10 years, so it'd be nice to go back in what looks like a good year.

Yes I was looking at the weather forecast for Fernie and Red that weekend and not encouraged by the prospect of rain, either fresh or re-frozen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna