• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Airline broke my skis!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Bummmmmmmer! I DO think Delta ran over our bag or impaled it with a forklift or something crazy like that. *eyeroll*

Unbelievable. I admire you turning a bummer of a situation into a positive one by donating your good ski (awesome idea) and taking the opportunity to demo. But geez, I wish Delta would be a little more accommodating.

G Hoodie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for all the ideas. No travel insurance... of course. :\ We'll check with our credit card however, pending the response from Delta. That's a great idea!

We drive quite a bit to do skiing, since we already live out west, but fly about every 2 years. Never had a problem before this. The replacement bag we picked up is a Dakine Double Fall Line. Really well padded and constructed. That said, we haven't used it yet... and Looking sporttubes already! DH really likes that idea. Too bad they are so expensive and they don't fold up small for storage though. :( But still - better than busted skis. So we may trade out. Argh!

I'll keep you guys posted on what Delta does to reimburse us!

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Sport Tube, I like it a lot. But I'm sure the airlines could damage anything, if they put their minds to it...

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for all the ideas. No travel insurance... of course. :\ We'll check with our credit card however, pending the response from Delta. That's a great idea!
You might want to call the credit card company now just in case there's a requirement that you notify them within a certain time after the event.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
More and more people are seeming to opt for Fed Ex shipping, and I haven’t heard anywhere near the horror stories about this method versus airline baggage (although Fed Ex ships by air as well). At least there are alternatives?

Have you seen what Fed Ex does to TVs/monitors? I don't think I'd trust them anymore than the airlines. :redface: But, the most important part is to find out if they will reimburse you if they are in a soft-sided case. I was told they are completely "safe" in terms of the coverage that the airlines will cover if they are damaged only in a hard case. :fear:

abc

Banned
Too bad they are so expensive and they don't fold up small for storage though.
Actually, once the skis are out of it, the two halfs slide inside each other and it's quite compact. I just put it under the bed. Don't take up any space.

Have you seen what Fed Ex does to TVs/monitors? I don't think I'd trust them anymore than the airlines. :redface:
The difference being you can insure your shipment to the full value of the content, unlike airline which basically just shrug and do nothing.

EnglishSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just don't understand how airlines can be so careless with their passengers belongings! They must have really done something awful to them to cause so much damage.

AMAZING idea to donate your good ski to the adaptive programme! :clap:
I hope that good karma will kick in and you will get your full refund, in the meantime hope the new skis are really working out for you.

Soho

Certified Ski Diva
Maybe the band is up for new version and can do something like Delta breaks skis.

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I flew back from Big Sky to Scotland with Delta. I have a heavy duty tarpaulin type ski bag which I line with a camping mat. The bag was used on only two flights previous to this trip and was virtually unmarked. For my North American adventure the last few weeks, I used seven flights. My bag looks like it has been dragged around a race drag as rubber trim has been virtually rubbed off to nothing on one end, stitching in one are has totally come away. I don't get it.

My luggage back came home totally sopping. That was really annoying as I had done all my washing before I left Big Sky!!

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ ScottishGirlie, that sucks! Sorry to hear that.

For others who have Sportubes, how much has it cost you to ship skis in it using FedEx or UPS?

Thanks in advance for the info.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, Tammy, for reviving this thread.

What did Delta pay for the damage?

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never did anything regarding the bag. Too much hassle. I didn't pay that much for the bag as I got it through our instructor offers.

Had totally forgotten about it though so must dig it out at some point and get the duck tape on it!! :becky:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna