• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Airline and hotel cancellations policies due to COVID-19

marzNC

Angel Diva
I just cancelled my flight and hotel reservation related to an April 2020 trip to Alta. Starting to get emails about adjusted cancellation policies because of COVID-19. Got any to share?

Here's what Southwest sent on March 20, 2020.

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 10.03.51 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
My preferred hotel chain is Best Western. The BW cancellation policy as of March 19 allows cancellations without any fees if done before April 30. Although they do have exceptions apparently.

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 10.19.48 AM.png

Jenny

Angel Diva
Airbnb - full refund
Budget - full refund, waived cancellation fee
Southwest - extended deadline for using credit amount
So, we came out whole, monetarily.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My friend who flew to Denver on March 14 could change their return flight and made it home with his daughter on March 16. Got a cheap upgrade to First Class. The VRBO/AirBnB owners gave him refunds without hesitation. He was going to stay in a different condo the second half of the week after a few days in the Aspen area.

He had another ski trip planned for Colorado in April. Obviously has cancelled. That condo owner was a bit harder to convince, but ultimately did give a refund.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
British Airways - full refund as one leg of my journey (May) was cancelled. Haven't seen it yet and cancelled over a week ago. That's okay I will get it.
Southwest - same as above with extended deadline for using credit
United - have seen nothing different other than use within year of booked (early December) - so won't use for ski trip but can use for other trip (maybe Mexico or Hawaii) ..... or maybe United will extend deadline for credit.
Vueling Airlines - Nice to Barcelona cancelled but may not get refund or credit. Was only $70 US so not bad if I lose entirely but will keep checking on it.

Accommodations - all were booked with free cancellation - no $$ up front except for AirBNB in Barcelona that friend booked and will pay me half the deposit (maybe $300 or so can't remember) when she receives the refund.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
VRBO has simplified the refund process. They are also promising incentives for homeowners who provide a full refund.

I refunded my renters immediately. Unfortunately I have friends who are still fighting that battle.

Getting a credit to use in the next year is better than nothing, but I would hope that no entity is refusing to provide either a full refund or a full credit.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Both Fairmont and Moose Hotel in Banff were good about refunds. Haven’t called United airlines yet...

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am in a wait and see pattern for my summer vacation renters. They all still hope to come. I kinda hope they don't as I am not thrilled to be going in and doing the cleaning in between renters. Might be nice to have one long term renter. I did tell them that I am honoring my 2 week full refund policy still, but with so much time between now and then, that anything less than that would not be OK (not until late May). I hope that seems fair.

My own trip this early April was to host my mom's memorial in Sweden. Full refund on United tickets and full refund from the hotel where the large dinner was to take place. As a tourism industry person myself, I feel for all the others in the same boat as I am in. Layed off with no work in sight.

Jilly

Staff member
Waiting to hear on my Florida flight and hotel. WestJet cancelled all flights. But I booked using CC/Avion points. They did set up an email for refunds. Friend that I was to room with had the hotel stuff. She booked using Reservations.com I WOULD NEVER USE THIS TYPE OF SERVICE!!! Very bad experience 3 years ago with a trip to Whistler. But she says it's going to be reimbursed. Wait snd see.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
Delta gave me a voucher for the amount of my ticket to Utah. Waves the cancellation fee. I have to use it by December 31.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly