• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Agility

skihawk

Certified Ski Diva
I don't know if this fits in this category... but I thought I would post anyways. I just started an agility course with my Border Collie! I love biking and running... but wanted to do something with my dog! She is very smart (both of her parents were working stock dogs.) Agility is actually pretty fun and I get a pretty good workout running through the obstacle course with her. I think I'm going to continue on to the advanced agility courses. Has anyone else done agility with their dog? We took Scout to a "herding instinct" trial in the fall. She loved it, but it can be kind of hard to find sheep to work with when you live in the city.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
She loved it, but it can be kind of hard to find sheep to work with when you live in the city.
:laugh: All I can think of here is New Zealand, where there really are more sheep than people!

Borders are SO bright and love to learn and run, have fun! A good workout for you both, indeed! I've not participated but certainly have seen the event, amazing. Just saw one in Nov. Big training facility in my region, they put on annual shows. Both of you, have fun!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I did agility for a little bit with an Australian shepherd I had; lots of fun. My current two Aussies are very athletic but I haven't taken them to agility. One's a frisbee freak, so she can give me a workout. If I am spending too much time at my desk, she'll come up to me and say, "Arrr-rar-rar-rar-raaa!" and then I know it's time to go outside and play!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
"Arrr-rar-rar-rar-raaa!" and then I know it's time to go outside and play!
:smile: Thanks for that - you just made my day by typing out what 2 of my lovely now departed dogs used to say. The Alaskan husky (retired sled/racing) was particularly good at this sound. I'm :D from ear to ear from the good memories. Thanks!

Jilly

Staff member
We actually have a club here so it can be big depending on where you are.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
:smile: Thanks for that - you just made my day by typing out what 2 of my lovely now departed dogs used to say. The Alaskan husky (retired sled/racing) was particularly good at this sound. I'm :D from ear to ear from the good memories. Thanks!

Sweetie is the first Aussie I've had that really "talks." She does sound like a Siberian Husky or Malamute in the way she vocalizes. She's doing it more and more often, which is hysterical.

I'm glad reading that gave you good memories. :smile: Dogs really are like little angels sent to earth. I swear I still hear the jingling tags echoing through the house of my dear old departed Aussie, Alex.

skihawk

Certified Ski Diva
I'm so happy to hear from other dog lovers.

MSL - did you dog sled with your dog? I have always wanted to do that!

My brother has an Aussie! He is wonderful... he is also a talker!

I'm including a picture of Scout!

Attachments

• Inga and Scout.jpg
    Inga and Scout.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 10
  • me and scout.jpg
    me and scout.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 7

skihawk

Certified Ski Diva
I'm not sure how to attach to make the picture visable! I can only attach them to my post... I'll figure this out eventually!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'm so happy to hear from other dog lovers.

MSL - did you dog sled with your dog? I have always wanted to do that!

My brother has an Aussie! He is wonderful... he is also a talker!

I'm including a picture of Scout!
Ahhh, sweet dog! :love: No, didn't sled with ours - we actually rescued him after his retirement. He had no house manners but we taught him, and all he wanted in his old age (6-7 at rescue) was to be a house dog. Could still run like blazes at 7 but slowed down. Guess he never was a lead dog, not terribly bright, but sweet. I love the expression: "Unless you're the lead dog, the view never changes." :laugh: We had a great 5 years w/him. He died at age 12 from an aneurysm. No dogs since (02).

skihawk

Certified Ski Diva
Sounds like a wonderful dog! Growing up we never had pets (my mom was allergic). Now I have a dog and 2 cats! I never understood people's attachment to pets until I had my own... now I "get it!"

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At 14 (Siberian Husky) and almost 16 (Dalmation), I'm afraid I won't have my babies much longer :( . I used to do agility type stuff with the Husky, but now he's having a good day if I don't have to carry him up the stairs. At least we've had 13 great years together, and lots of great memories, but it's sad to see them deteriorate so quickly and I'm sure they don't understand why they can't run and jump anymore.:Cry:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
My Aussies are my babies, especially since we don't have kids. We lost our oldest Aussie, Alex, last summer at age 14 due to a heart attack. Thankfully he went quickly, but it was very hard on my DH.

I'm going to try to post a pic of my babes, Sweetie and Aslan.:love:

th_sweetieaslan.jpg

skihawk

Certified Ski Diva
What wonderful dogs! I love the pic of Aslan sleeping! Too cute.
It really is amazing how wonderful pets can be. Scout (dog) and my two cats are the first pets I've ever had. Puma is three and Grizzly is two. Scout will be two in July. I had tears in my eyes after reading your post VG!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here is my Husky, Dakota. He's also know as Booger or Butthead because he's always been a snot. He's a big Mama's boy. You can almost see Stan the Dalmation in the background. Her actual name is Lady Sheeba Saphire Sadie and they used to call her Sheeba, but i always thought of that as a cat name and it just didn't fit her. So, being the Red Wings fans that we were, she was called Stanley Cup and she answers to Stan. Good enough for me. :smile:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Yeah, he looks like he has an attitude! I also call Aslan "butthead," for the same reason. Stan is a GREAT name for a dalmation, especially a girl dog!(Sheeba is also a name you'd give a Pekinese).

skihawk

Certified Ski Diva
He is too cute!

Scout is going to graduate from beginner agility next Monday! I'll have DH take some action shots! She can be a little fiesty and sometimes likes to do her own thing out there... so we will see!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agility is a great activity to do with dogs. I had a rescued dog that had a great deal of abuse in her past, but was truly an obedient dog that loved to please, despite other issues. I took her to agility and she did awsome until the tunnel. It was the first attempt and off-leash as well. Something about the tunnel scared her and she attacked the first dog she saw as soon as she came out the other side. It was awful at the time. I was devastated and shocked. I was scared to take her hiking off-leash for a long time after that, even though she had never acted this way before, it still took me a long time to get over it. Bad story, but keep in mind, she had a really bad past and something about it freaked her out. So most dogs probably wouldn't do this, I highly recomend it for the right dog.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna