• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Affordable ski towns

altagirl

Staff member
I lived in Pomona from 1988-1990. I have permanent lung issues from just those two years. When we have bad air days here, I can feel it in my lungs. Utah lawmakers turn a blind eye to gross polluters.
I blame my lung issues on the year and a half or so that I lived in El Paso, stationed at Fort Bliss. Being young and stupid, I remember running a PT test on a super smoggy inversion day. We all laughed at the actual black chunks we were coughing up after running 2 miles in air you could taste. It's less funny years later once you're like why are my lungs so sensitive... oh, right.

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I blame my lung issues on the year and a half or so that I live in El Paso, stationed at Fort Bliss. Being young and stupid, I remember running a PT test on a super smoggy inversion day. We all laughed at the actual black chunks we were coughing up after running 2 miles in air you could taste. It's less funny years later once you're like why are my lungs so sensitive... oh, right.
I went for a run on a "red alert" day as a 19 year old who didn't know any better (these things were not a thing in Seattle!) I ended up with chronic bronchitis that I ignored thinking it would go away. So, similar stories! Young and ignorant!

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Affordable is such a relative term. We adore where we are in NW CT near the mass border and Southern VT. One day we'll live fill time in londonderry, VT.

However, we talk about going out west sometime to live.

I adore heavenly so not sure if Reno would work.. I've been to Reno (years ago) but my SO never has. We went to snowbowl years ago and I could definitely call flagstaff home. Either place would pit me "close" to my Cali peeps. I'm in love with Vermont but e live chatting about other possibilities.

Cpnwgsp

Certified Ski Diva
I’m new on this site so responding to a slightly older post - maybe you’ve already found the perfect place to move to! I grew up in Duluth and live in the Seattle area ( East Side) now. Duluth is a great town. I LOVE to visit but it would be hard for me to move back. Primarily due to the cold and the income tax difference.
We keep an eye on Wenatchee, Ellensburg, Yakima area. Winthrop/Twisp is an area I’d like to spend more time in, but it’s a lot farther away. Have you thought about the Rte 2 area on the west side - Sultan, Index, Gold bar? Would put you closer to Stevens. I’m not sure if it’s just as pricey as Leavenworth or not.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m new on this site so responding to a slightly older post - maybe you’ve already found the perfect place to move to! I grew up in Duluth and live in the Seattle area ( East Side) now. Duluth is a great town. I LOVE to visit but it would be hard for me to move back. Primarily due to the cold and the income tax difference.
We keep an eye on Wenatchee, Ellensburg, Yakima area. Winthrop/Twisp is an area I’d like to spend more time in, but it’s a lot farther away. Have you thought about the Rte 2 area on the west side - Sultan, Index, Gold bar? Would put you closer to Stevens. I’m not sure if it’s just as pricey as Leavenworth or not.
I just signed another year lease :-( My baby's been sick and now is not a good time to move or explore. I'm paying $106 more per month now.

I did check out North Bend, since it's close to Snoqualmie and has some new development areas. But I think in the end I felt like North Bend is a "drive a truck and hunt deer" city. lol Just my take on the feel of it! Apparently Twin Peaks was filmed there.

It's hard because I really need to visit a city to tell if I like it. Photos aren't enough...

I like Crystal rather than Stevens. Winthrop/Twist was a nice area!

Flagstaff intrigues me. I was reading about it... I love the lack of light pollution, but I'm not sure I could live at elevation.

Once baby feels better we might start doing some fun road trips!

Christy

Angel Diva
Sorry about your baby. :( Interesting perception of North Bend. It started life as a logging town but the knock on it these days is how it's been gentrified/developed with the average home price around $1 million. But I haven't poked around town in years; I only ever get off the interstate at that westernmost exit and head out the Middle Fork Road.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
On the other hand, when we were transferred to Spokane (33 years ago) we knew nothing. We spent 4 days here; looked at some houses, drove around, went to the downtown park for an afternoon and most importantly looked at maps of the area for recreation. National Forest!! Ski areas!! Whitewater!!! It was an easy yes. The map and then the downtown vibe are what sold us. Living in the Bay Area at the time, the general vibe we ran into was, "ewwww, who brought their kids?". We hit Spokane for "Kid's week"...... a totally different feeling that blew us away. IE, families welcome.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Living in the Bay Area at the time, the general vibe we ran into was, "ewwww, who brought their kids?"
I burst out laughing reading your post. Where in the Bay Area were you? S.F.? or suburbs ?

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good luck moving to Canada as a US Citizen.......

I'm aware of the challenges
I'd already looked into it to a degree. We have friends there and work in qualified professions. Plus my SOs company has an office in Canada. That aside I had success in getting my SO to move to the sticks in CT but I think I'd be hard pressed to get him to leave the country.

I love Calgary and the ski areas there.

I also love the pacific northwest. I've never been, looks stunning. Definitely want to visit.

Last edited:

Cpnwgsp

Certified Ski Diva
Sorry about your baby. :( Interesting perception of North Bend. It started life as a logging town but the knock on it these days is how it's been gentrified/developed with the average home price around $1 million. But I haven't poked around town in years; I only ever get off the interstate at that westernmost exit and head out the Middle Fork Road.
Haha, me too. Such a pretty road and good hiking out that way!

Cpnwgsp

Certified Ski Diva
I just signed another year lease :-( My baby's been sick and now is not a good time to move or explore. I'm paying $106 more per month now.

I did check out North Bend, since it's close to Snoqualmie and has some new development areas. But I think in the end I felt like North Bend is a "drive a truck and hunt deer" city. lol Just my take on the feel of it! Apparently Twin Peaks was filmed there.

It's hard because I really need to visit a city to tell if I like it. Photos aren't enough...

I like Crystal rather than Stevens. Winthrop/Twist was a nice area!

Flagstaff intrigues me. I was reading about it... I love the lack of light pollution, but I'm not sure I could live at elevation.

Once baby feels better we might start doing some fun road trips!
Hope your baby is feeling better soon!

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On the other hand, when we were transferred to Spokane (33 years ago) we knew nothing. We spent 4 days here; looked at some houses, drove around, went to the downtown park for an afternoon and most importantly looked at maps of the area for recreation. National Forest!! Ski areas!! Whitewater!!! It was an easy yes. The map and then the downtown vibe are what sold us. Living in the Bay Area at the time, the general vibe we ran into was, "ewwww, who brought their kids?". We hit Spokane for "Kid's week"...... a totally different feeling that blew us away. IE, families welcome.
Yes, I think sometimes you can get a wonderful feeling of belonging in a city... Unfortunately that feeling came for me in Paris! haha

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heavenly and Tahoe are my west coast cities should we ever decide to move. However, I'm a vermont girl really so it'll be hard to leave the green mountain state. That said I would move to anywhere that would allow me to ski in Banff every weekend in a heartbeat.
Any of those three would work for me! But too expensive, I think...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dreamofskiing