• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

AEROSKI vs SKIER's EDGE

sassypants129

Diva in Training
Afternoon All ~ Newer member here and love these forum. I know this has been discussed on older threads but looking for more recent feedback. I'm a 57 y/o who took up skiing at 52, with one year off for some extensive shoulder surgery. I'd like to progress to be a more intermediate skier than I am, and am looking at picking up either the aeroski or skier's edge to help during the off season. I'd get a new aeroski or can get a used skier's edge version 5 (?) for $150, craigslist, no idea on its condition. Anyone familiar with using either one of these? I exercise every day, do lots of biking indoor and out, for cardio. Thanks in advance

sassypants129

Diva in Training
Funny this should come up because I just had an aeroski ad pop up this morning on Facebook. I’m curious to hear if anyone has tried it since it’s very significantly cheaper than the new skier’s edge.
I've also read somewhere, may have been here or on a review, that the aeroski is easier for a woman to use as the bands on the skier's edge are pretty stiff and tight making it exhausting for a smaller person to use?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Afternoon All ~ Newer member here and love these forum. I know this has been discussed on older threads but looking for more recent feedback. I'm a 57 y/o who took up skiing at 52, with one year off for some extensive shoulder surgery. I'd like to progress to be a more intermediate skier than I am, and am looking at picking up either the aeroski or skier's edge to help during the off season. I'd get a new aeroski or can get a used skier's edge version 5 (?) for $150, craigslist, no idea on its condition. Anyone familiar with using either one of these? I exercise every day, do lots of biking indoor and out, for cardio. Thanks in advance
Welcome! What region do you ski in the most?

Don't know anything about the Aeroski. Looks relatively new. I did see a negative review on Amazon about bands breaking and not being able to get replacements in a timely manner.

I've also read somewhere, may have been here or on a review, that the aeroski is easier for a woman to use as the bands on the skier's edge are pretty stiff and tight making it exhausting for a smaller person to use?

There is no question that a new Skiers Edge is quite pricey. They are designed to last. Back when I researched the Skiers Edge in 2012, they used to have more models. Included a smaller one for lighter weight adults and children.

This post in one of the old Diva threads about the Skiers Edge shows kids using the LT Carver.
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...dge-on-sale-thoughts.14626/page-3#post-233247

I have a Skiers Edge II, which looks like it's similar in size to the Aeroski. The LT Carver was pretty much the same size. It's certainly enough for cardio exercise that is uses a lot of leg muscles related to skiing. I use it on the easiest setting. I'm petite, pretty strong for being over 60, and an an advanced skier at this point but was an advanced intermediate when I started ski conditioning on a year round basis after a knee injury (not skiing) in 2012. Must say that I don't really use the Skiers Edge that often. It very cheap on Craigslist from the original owner and I had room to store it, so decided to go for it after checking it out. Made sense when finishing up knee rehab. I wouldn't buy a new one mostly just because I've confirmed that it's not the type of exercise I do on any sort of regular basis.

$150 for any Version 5 is a good deal if it's in good condition. A question to ask is when or if the bands were ever replaced. Also worth asking about any accessories. Don't need them but would be indication of how much it might have been used. Here are the MSRP prices and models from back in 2013. Typically the problem for selling a used Skiers Edge is that no one wants to deal with shipping because they are very heavy and awkward to ship. So a local sale make the most sense.

LT Carver: $1680, sale $1180 (save $500)
T5 Classic, All Mountain Master: $1560, sale $860
T5 Big Mountain, All Mountain Master: $1680, sale $980
T5 Big Mountain, RPM: $1960, sale $1260
T5 World Cup, All Mountain Master: $1980, sale $1280
T5 World Cup, RPM: $2240, sale $1540
QS5 Class RPM: $2900, sale $2000
QS5 Big Mountain, RPM: $3100, sale $2200
QS5 World Cup, RPM: $3399, sale $2499

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Skiers Edge won't teach you to ski better, but it will yield cardio exercise and will help tone some of the muscles used in skiing. Many forum threads have been devoted to ways in the green season to improve one's skiing, but none of those ways works except finding a way to get on your skis, on snow. Once on snow you'll need lessons to learn to ski better, and you'll need to be able to work with what you learn in those lessons so it becomes a part of your regular skiing. More on this last part below.

You say you do exercise every day, get lots of biking indoor and out, so you're already good for cardio. If you are hoping a machine will help your skiing improve, I think you may be disappointed.

Much forum talk has been devoted to how one might strengthen the exact muscles used in skiing during the summer, so those first days on snow won't be so hard on the system. Many seasoned skiers say one needs to "ski into shape" and that nothing will get the same muscle involvement as skiing. I agree.

I tend to get 50-60 days on snow every season, and I teach. The first few days on snow renew my body's familiarity with the muscle actions involved in skiing so much better than any summer gym work. My summer cardio work helps me get through those first days bell to bell. Strength builds at a reasonable pace after that as the season progresses.

I have found one thing other than cardio has helped tremendously with my personal skiing. I experienced exponential improvement in my skiing last season because of one type of "work" I did the summer before. While running trails, where the ground underfoot was uneven and filled with obstacles, I payed close attention to what individual body parts were doing I chose a focus for a section of a run, such as doing forceful "toe-off" with my left foot, then "watched" that foot with my mind for that section of the run. Then I'd choose another focus, such as extending that left leg farther back prior to toe-off, paying close attention to the work my glutes were doing to achieve that extension repeatedly. Over the summer, I "watched" different body parts, from ankles to hips to shoulders to hands and even elbows. I did this with every step during my almost daily runs. This work enabled my brain connected to each body part more eagerly. The technical term for what I was working on is "proprioception." That increased proprioception translated to skiing improvement.

Much of what a skier's body does flies below the radar of the mind. A skier may not know the left hand is dropping after pole-planting. Another skier may not know that they are leaning in on right turns. Another skier may not know their ankles are "open" all the time, putting them in the back seat, and that the hands are resting in the down position beside the thighs. Many skiers don't know they are turning their shoulders in the direction of the new turn before that turn starts. Being able to feel these things as they happen allows a skier to recognize the problem and then attack it with a replacement. If a skier can't feel what the body part is doing, the skier has no ability to change it. Working on proprioception is a great thing to do in the summer. Additionally, the mind wanders. Working on maintaining a selected focus when the mind wants to wander is equally important, and surprisingly tough. Most skiers know that if they start a run with an intention to do one thing differently with a body part, by the end of the run that executive control is long gone and forgotten. The mind wanders. Proprioception is only helpful when paired with maintaining a focus.

@sassypants129, since you already do plenty of cardio, consider training for maintaining a proprioceptive focus when distractions are present instead of buying a machine. Work for increased proprio all over your body. Include your ankles, hips, hands, and shoulders. Leave no stone unturned. If you do this, you will be tooled up very well for improving your skiing next season.

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
I have to agree with @liquidfeet. The only machine that could help would be an indoor roller ramp. And even those are not great.

I like her idea of paying attention to what is happening with your body. I've been doing some of that psychologically with a weight loss program, so to do it for a physiologically response makes sense too.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
All good advice here. I'd also add that the best way to get better at skiing is to take lessons when the season begins. Also, ski a lot. Because the more you ski, the easier it'll be to turn what you've learned into part of your skiing repertoire.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna