• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Advice? Tip for Camp instructors?

Teresa

Certified Ski Diva
Hello!
I’m just finishing a four day Ski Camp tomorrow. What is an appropriate tip? I feel 20% of the cost of the Camp is too much since it is not a private but I don’t want to stiff him as he has been great.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just finished a 6-day race clinic. Cost was $400 and I tipped $100. I don’t think there should be a set minimum % to tip, just what you are comfortable with and you should not feel pressured into tipping more than what you want to. I have taken other week long lessons before where I only tipped $30-$50.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think there are many variables. I am an instructor and think 20% of a lesson cost is too much. Lessons are expensive. I don't think the 20% dining norm should be used for ski lessons.

How many people in the group? How much personal attention did you get? I don't know the total cost of your camp. Many people in group lessons do not tip. I am sure your instructor will appreciate whatever you choose to give. Also, a card with a promise to send other people is way is also appreciated. Instructors get paid more for request privates so if you have the opportunity to refer others to him, that is a great compliment that results in more business for him.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tips are great no matter how much they are!

I am intrigued by the idea of not wanting to tip 20% because it was a group not a private? In my opinion, a group/camp instructor is working much harder as they are attempting to meet the needs, interests, and goals of more than one person.

The cost is usually significantly less for the guest than a private would be, thus a smaller overall tip even at 20%. At most ski areas the instructor usually makes less per hour for group/camp than for a request private, even after the number of skiers incentive kicks in.

While tips should not be the primary driver for choosing to be an instructor, I do believe that rewarding group instructors is worthwhile in the long run. They often teach the students that are the most motivated to learn, and in our area, some instructors forego moving to privates because they actually prefer the group type of students.

@Teresa most of all I want to thank you for even asking the question in the first place. This may be a very personal point of view, but I am often more touched by the cards and notes than the size of the tip. I keep all my thank you cards and look forward to rereading them when I am too broken to keep skiing and teaching.

Teresa

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you, everyone, for the advice. This was the 4 Day Atomic Camp at Whistler Blackcomb. It was 699CAD or about $526. There were 60 people in the Camp and it was Levels 4-6. Most groups had 6-8, but my group had only 3 (including me) so I considered myself lucky to get the more personal attention. I wound up tipping him $120USD as I thought he spent a lot of time with each of us perfecting our technique, etc, and I thought he was a really good instructor. I am a Level 4 nervous skier- I've been skiing for about 5 years but I don't ski a lot so at the beginning of every season I'm very rusty. I can ski groomed blue runs. He took a video of us on Day 1 and on Day 4 and there was definite improvement. He did a great balance of drills & coaching, but also allowed us to "just ski" too so we all had fun. He did an intro to bumps/moguls as well.

The only annoying thing was that at the end of the first day, he told us which way to go but the other woman in my group took the wrong run and it was more challenging than he wanted to take us... still a blue run, but it was skied off so a bit bumpy- he stayed back with me but I wound up falling and twisting my knee (I heard a "crack crack" sound... not a pop but the sound my knee makes if I squat down too far.. or like cracking knuckles). This terrified me as an ACL/MCL injury is one of my worst fears. I was able to continue to ski... the knee did not swell but I felt it a bit. I completed the camp but I was even more cautious than I usually am so I was slow and steady. The good news is I don't *think* I did any serious damage to my knee... I'm getting it checked out tomorrow just to play it safe. I was hoping to gain some more speed...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna