• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Advice please-stockli nela 88 or 96

dgofstein

Diva in Training
Hello all. Please help! I haven’t owned skis since college over 20 years ago. I demoed black Pearl 88s this weekend and had a lot of fun but more difficult making quick turns and moguls were no fun. They loved groomed trails and fast speed. I’m now looking at the stockli nela 88 or 96. I’m leaning towards the 88 becaise i prefer groomed trails and tend to be out early in the day. However now that my family is becoming more confident skiers we will probably plan more trips. Any advice about which width is better. I’m an advanced skier. 5’5” 180 lbs.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Assuming you have custom-fitted boots...I recently bought the Sheeva 9, after trying the BP, Yumi, and Atomic Maven skis.
I also didn't like the Black Pearl, but I really liked the Yumi 88 and Sheeva 9 a lot, esp for bumps. Sheeva esp turned on a dime -- really fun! I can't compare them to the Stockli; I didn't demo them because $$, but several others on this forum have (paging @marzNC ), so I'm sure you'll hear from them soon.

And :welcome: to the forum!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hello all. Please help! I haven’t owned skis since college over 20 years ago. I demoed black Pearl 88s this weekend and had a lot of fun but more difficult making quick turns and moguls were no fun. They loved groomed trails and fast speed. I’m now looking at the stockli nela 88 or 96. I’m leaning towards the 88 becaise i prefer groomed trails and tend to be out early in the day. However now that my family is becoming more confident skiers we will probably plan more trips. Any advice about which width is better. I’m an advanced skier. 5’5” 180 lbs.
Welcome! What region are you going to ski in the most?

I have the Stormrider 85, which came before the Nela 88. It's quite versatile for groomers out west as well as fresh snow up to 6-8 inches, bumps, and trees. Note that I'm a petite older skier who became a solid advanced skier in recent years. I liked the previous model of the BP88 but haven't been on the latest version.

Have you looked at the Ski Essentials review of the Nela 88?

dgofstein

Diva in Training
Assuming you have custom-fitted boots...I recently bought the Sheeva 9, after trying the BP, Yumi, and Atomic Maven skis.
I also didn't like the Black Pearl, but I really liked the Yumi 88 and Sheeva 9 a lot, esp for bumps. Sheeva esp turned on a dime -- really fun! I can't compare them to the Stockli; I didn't demo them because $$, but several others on this forum have (paging @marzNC ), so I'm sure you'll hear from them soon.

And :welcome: to the forum!
The sheeva 9 was also recommended to me based on my review of the bp88. Thank you for your reply. I’m excited to have found this group. So much good info!

dgofstein

Diva in Training
Welcome! What region are you going to ski in the most?

I have the Stormrider 85, which came before the Nela 88. It's quite versatile for groomers out west as well as fresh snow up to 6-8 inches, bumps, and trees. Note that I'm a petite older skier who became a solid advanced skier in recent years. I liked the previous model of the BP88 but haven't been on the latest version.

Have you looked at the Ski Essentials review of the Nela 88?

I have read so many reviews it makes my head hurt. Lol. I will mostly be skiing on the east coast but hoping as our kids progress we will take trips out west. I think the 88s will be fine. I’m leaning towards the stockli nela 88. I can justify the extra cost by the amount of years i have skied on basic rentals. I haven’t owned my own skis in 20 years. Rode my first demos and omg I was back. It felt so great to have the ski be working with me!

marzNC

Angel Diva
One reason I was willing to buy the Stormrider 85 demo skis on the second day demo'ing at Taos was that my understanding is that Stöckli skis last a long time. One factor is that there isn't a "top sheet" that might start to peal off. As much as I like to demo when I have a chance, I'm not really interested in buying new sis every 2-3 years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna