• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Advice on whether to take old and new skis out west?

Flyaway

Certified Ski Diva
OK, I'm an intermediate ski (42, learned at about 36 or 37). I learned in New England, I've been on one trip to the Alps, and I also randomly skied in Greece once. Now I live in Michigan and ski here, but of course the runs are quite short and not very steep. I've been dying to go out west and was planning to do it next year, when my partner can go with me, but I recently though, why wait? I planned a solo trip to Park City in a couple weeks and read everything I could.

Well, I'm still skiing on 2013 Nordica Belle to Belles and somehow in my impulsiveness, I decided I really needed new skis for this trip. I can't really demo locally because the options are so slim in Michigan and I'm 5'10" and didn't feel like demoing the available skis in the 150s (what the Michigan ski resort I'm about to head to tomorrow has) would really give me an accurate picture anyway.

So, I have 2021 Nordica Santa Ana 88s on their way, and I won't have the chance to get on them before my trip to Utah.

1. Should I take both my old and new skis, in case it turns out I hate my new skis?

2. I have a lesson on my first morning. Is it actually a good thing for my first time on my new skis to be during a lesson? Or no bc I might be a spazz, so I will get more out of the lesson if I use my old ones?

Flyaway

Certified Ski Diva
Damn, I thought the B to Bs were 168 but that isn’t a size they came in so I measured and they are only 162. SA will be 172. Is that difference a step learning curve?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The 2013 Belle to Belle was the favorite of all my skis ever! Although I am becoming much enamored of my Elan Interra’s this year.

10 cms is a pretty big jump. .... I haven’t skied that Santa Ana enough times to give you a possible comparison on how they ski for the length.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Where are you going to be tomorrow? DH and I will be at Caberfae.

Have you thought about taking the new ones and demoing some others if you don’t like them? You could always reserve a pair of something that’s closer to your current skis and then take both to the mountain. I've done lessons on demo skis before, but they were closer to the length I was used to with my own skis.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The Santa Anas ski short. I have the 93's and they have a lot of tip rocker. So don't let the extra length concern you that much.

If you're really worried about it, take your old skis. But since you'll be skiing on the SA's in the future, I'd say it'd be a good call to take your lesson on those.

Last edited:

Flyaway

Certified Ski Diva
Where are you going to be tomorrow? DH and I will be at Caberfae.

Have you thought about taking the new ones and demoing some others if you don’t like them? You could always reserve a pair of something that’s closer to your current skis and then take both to the mountain. I've done lessons on demo skis before, but they were closer to the length I was used to with my own skis.

Me too! but I won’t be on the slopes until Monday. I rented a cabin and will ski Monday through Thursday from about 10 to 2 and then work afterwards.

thanks guys—I may leave my old ones at home then. I really appreciate the advice. those were my first skis—what do you do with old skis? Doesn’t seem like there would be much of a resale market at this point.

Flyaway

Certified Ski Diva
Jenny: (I’ve only been to Crystal, Mt Holly, and Caberfae since I moved to Michigan but Caberfae seems like such a hidden gem at an amazing price point to me. This will be like my fifth or sixth trip there from the Detroit area. Next winter I want to try Boyne Highlands.)

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Me too! but I won’t be on the slopes until Monday. I rented a cabin and will ski Monday through Thursday from about 10 to 2 and then work afterwards.

thanks guys—I may leave my old ones at home then. I really appreciate the advice. those were my first skis—what do you do with old skis? Doesn’t seem like there would be much of a resale market at this point.

I skied mine until the side came off one!! Keep them for spring and early season so you don't bang up the new skis.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Jenny: (I’ve only been to Crystal, Mt Holly, and Caberfae since I moved to Michigan but Caberfae seems like such a hidden gem at an amazing price point to me. This will be like my fifth or sixth trip there from the Detroit area. Next winter I want to try Boyne Highlands.)
Highlands is nice, I think Mountain is pretty boring. And you really need to get to Nub's Nob, too. Caberfae pass is a definite deal!

ski skuhl

Angel Diva
what do you do with old skis?
You could keep the old pair for early and late season skiing when cover is thin. I’ve had skis made into stools and benches all of which are at our house in VT. I’m going to look and see if I have any pictures to post. They’re very sturdy and we use the “stools” as end tables also; they’re very sturdy. We had them made by a local who’ has built a “ski furniture” business but any good carpenter I suspect could get it done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna