• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Advice on how to read the terrain

newbieM

Angel Diva
OK, I have a total newbie and dumb question that may not even have an answer.

Is there advice or tips on how to best read a terrain? Maybe this just takes experience but sometimes slopes look scary to me when they actually aren't or sometimes things go up and then over and I can't quite see over and think the worst. I am only doing greens, so do I just need to trust that it isn't so bad?

I don't feel confident trying new routes even though they are green and should be my level. Any suggestions? Maybe the simple answer is that I just have to keep doing it until I learn to read it better?

Jilly

Staff member
Experience I'd say.

For you, you might want to find a group that skis, but don't really want a lesson, but some tips are welcomed. That should help with that.

For example, I'm going to take @MarieFromMontreal next weekend on some runs that she's not confident on. We did one on Monday already. I have a few more for her. She'll be guided as to the best way down etc...

newbieM

Angel Diva
Thanks @Jilly that is great advice! Any advice on how to best go about doing that? I am a bit self conscious because I am a beginner and someone might not want to spend an hour or two showing a beginner around.

Jilly

Staff member
Are you at the same hill most days? Do they have a lesson plan/social club? Or a women's clinic 1 day a week?

Years ago I joined one at Tremblant. As a single skier, I don't like to ski trees by myself. Well we were in most of the glades runs over the 10 sessions I had with them. Lots of fun, met some really nice people and the instruction was great too.

Look around at resort/hill websites. Hopefully next year the ski shows will be back and questions can be asked in person.

newbieM

Angel Diva
I am totally new, I live in SoCal but haven't been to any of the local mountains. It is going to take time for me to figure that part out since I don't love driving curvy roads solo.

I am going on my second trip to SLC on Monday and will be there all week so I plan to ski Alta, Brighton and Powder Mountain. I think Powder Mountain has a woman group that skis on Saturday so I am going to try to ski that day so I can join that group. I'll probably try to head out to SLC one more time this season if I can time it right.

So open to anyone in SLC with patience for a slightly fearful beginner skier but highly motivated and a little bit obsessed with this new hobby. This group has been really awesome so far.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you stick to green terrain there should not be anything too steep or scary (in theory) especially on a marked run.

I highly recommend learning to side slip as it will be a life long skill on the slopes and a safety tool to help you get down a steep pitch without having to turn.

newbieM

Angel Diva
Thanks that is on my list to practice next week. I’ll feel much better that I can go down something that way if it feels too steep. My hockey stops were almost there.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is there advice or tips on how to best read a terrain? Maybe this just takes experience but sometimes slopes look scary to me when they actually aren't or sometimes things go up and then over and I can't quite see over and think the worst. I am only doing greens....

I am trying to figure out what you mean by reading the terrain. I've got a guess, but it may be waay off course.

When you go up and over a rise in the trail, or head around a corner, and feel like it's scary, are you going slow enough to avoid any unseen obstacles that appear suddenly in front of you? Are you confident that you could stop or swerve in a controlled manner to avoid a collision?

For instance, you do need to be able to stop should you encounter a kid who fell down, who is just over the hill out of sight, or around the corner. You do need to be able to avoid hitting another skier heading across the trail around the bend who suddently appears right in front of you, in your way, as you come upon them. This is real important. Being able to avoid obstacles and people that may appear unexpectedly ahead of you is part of the skier responsibility code. It's an essential safety rule. Every skier must be able to do this, or the slopes will be too dangerous to ski safely.

So my question is, do you go slow enough to stop or swerve effectively in a situation like that? If yes, then you're fine and as others have said, you just need time on the snow to convince your self-protecting brain that there's no problem.

If no, your fear is legitimate and you need to find a way to slow down as the terrain goes up and down and around. People here can advise you on this technical issue if the answer is no.

newbieM

Angel Diva
I don’t have an issue with avoiding people, stopping to look up at merging trails, slowing down. So yes I go slow enough to avoid obstacles or can swerve around them.

I think the issue is what you mentioned a rise in the trail kind of trips me up and I feel the need to stop to check where I’m going if I’ve never been on it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think the issue is what you mentioned a rise in the trail kind of trips me up and I feel the need to stop to check where I’m going if I’ve never been on it.
The approach I take to a new trail, or even one I know but haven't ski that particular day or since snow conditions have changed is to take it easy. That can mean going slower or stopping more often to consider how things feels or look. For instance, today at my home hill (tiny, all groomed trails that take 3 min to finish) my friends and I went night skiing. We were skiing a couple trails that we'd skied in the afternoon when it was relatively warm, meaning high 30s. After dinner, the snow was much faster since the temperature had dipped to about 30. So we were skiing differently than just a few hours before. One of the people I was skiing with is an advanced beginner (a tween).

There are advantages to skiing the same trail 2-3 times before moving on to another one, assuming there are multiple options at an appropriate level. Especially for someone interested in improving technique. Applies at any ability level.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I do that on unfamiliar (and even familiar) trails! Sometimes I just stop (in a safe place, to the side) to admire the view, enjoy the moment, or let the traffic go by. I would dare to say that most of us do that -- it's important to get your bearings and decide how you're going to approach that section.

The larger ski resorts (Taos, Park City, Tahoe, and I expect Alta) have pretty long green trails, that may have many twists and turns and different sections. Don't ever feel bad about stopping to check things out, as long as you do it in a safe spot.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am going on my second trip to SLC on Monday and will be there all week so I plan to ski Alta, Brighton and Powder Mountain. I think Powder Mountain has a woman group that skis on Saturday so I am going to try to ski that day so I can join that group. I'll probably try to head out to SLC one more time this season if I can time it right.

So open to anyone in SLC with patience for a slightly fearful beginner skier but highly motivated and a little bit obsessed with this new hobby. This group has been really awesome so far.
Realized that you have enough posts to start a Meet On The Hill thread. That's in Divas Only. Can't hurt to put your dates in a MOTH thread. Might well be seen by a local or traveler in time for a meet up for a few runs.

newbieM

Angel Diva
Realized that you have enough posts to start a Meet On The Hill thread. That's in Divas Only. Can't hurt to put your dates in a MOTH thread. Might well be seen by a local or traveler in time for a meet up for a few runs.

Oh thanks. I’ll look for that.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
Yes I’m pretty cautious of stopping on the side in a safe spot where I am seen but not in the way. I’m also super cautious when trails merge because some people fly down like jets. Thanks for normalizing it for me.
I agree that it is perfectly normal to want to see what's coming up at a blind drop or corner. How can you read the terrain if you can't see it? The first time down a trail, or the first time of that day, certainly it's ok to stop and take a look.

I often pull off to the side when I hear a large crowd behind me or am about to ski into a crowd. Why ski in a cluster when I can stop, wait a moment, and ski on an empty or nearly empty trail.

Reading the terrain and choosing a path is an important skill that takes time to develop. Even with beginners I often discuss how we're going to approach a section of trail. Which side is more/less steep? What is the snow like? Is there a single or double fall line? Etc. There are times when stopping to analyze what's in front of you is a very good idea. As you get more comfortable planning ahead you'll be doing more and more of this planning as you ski down the hill.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don’t have an issue with avoiding people, stopping to look up at merging trails, slowing down. So yes I go slow enough to avoid obstacles or can swerve around them.

I'm glad I guessed wrong!

Not knowing what's up ahead and wanting to approach it safely is normal. It's a safety thing, right? Stopping or slowing down before venturing forth is a natural and reasonable response. I think there's nothing to worry about. Being watchful and alert is good.

Do you think these concerns will dissipate when you know what terrain features are around the corner or over the hill on trails you ski frequently?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you can slow down, stop, and turn to avoid people, then you have the skill and control to ski any green trail. Try to remind yourself of that when you stop to look at a new section of trail. You can approach it in terms of strategy, not fear. Icy patch? No problem, you can avoid it. Does it seem steep? You know how to traverse and control your speed.

Remember to congratulate yourself when you make it down a new pitch!

newbieM

Angel Diva
Thanks those are good reminders. If I have those basics there isn’t anything I can’t handle on a green. I also just need to remind myself if something feels steep to just ski nice wide turns across it and it takes away the steepness. I worked on that in powder mountain but that was my last day of skiing so I didn’t get to try it out more. I also get nervous when there are a lot of skiers that skiing across the hill may unintentionally cut someone off. Lots of crowds make me nervous. Essentially my goal is to become less nervous. At Alta I skied the same green over and over until I felt comfortable and then worked on slowly increasing speed and making sure I feel in control with good body position (I’m so guilty of tensing up and leaning back) On this trip I’m going to focus on being more adventurous and exploring more green trails and working on confidence alongside my turns, hockey stop, and side stepping.

MarieFromMontreal

Diva in Training
Experience I'd say.

For you, you might want to find a group that skis, but don't really want a lesson, but some tips are welcomed. That should help with that.

For example, I'm going to take @MarieFromMontreal next weekend on some runs that she's not confident on. We did one on Monday already. I have a few more for her. She'll be guided as to the best way down etc...

*slightly terrified* :smile:)))

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna