• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Advice on Avoiding "Overuse" Injuries for a 50-year-old?

newboots

Angel Diva
Check your copays for chiropractic vs. PT - I think either could make a difference in your crookedness. Since a number of visits are usually required, I would choose the cheaper copay, unless you already have one you really like.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i had a yoga book that I learned all the poses I still do it's got great photos and starts you off slowly
Richard Hittleman's Yoga : 28 Day Exercise Plan

Tvan

Angel Diva
As someone who started skiing at age 45 and running at age 50, I’ve had to overcome a number of physical speed bumps in order to get in shap and stay in shape, including anemia, fibroids, hysterectomy, leg cramps, physical therapy, weekly chiropractic adjustments, deep tissue massage, and a complete overhaul of my diet (which also led to a 30 pound weight loss).

Going through all that nonsense is excellent incentive to stay in shape, eat properly, and keep moving. I run 3 days a week, see the chiropractor weekly, follow a pretty strict eating plan, bike @20 miles per weekend, and ski all winter. DH and I are instituting a daily sun salutation chart on the fridge this summer, to get some regular yoga stretches into the mix as well.

It isn’t easy. In order to stay on my eating regime, I spend one day every weekend preparing meals for the entire week. I stay late at work a couple nights each week and run at the gym on-site. Some weekends, the laundry doesn’t get done because we are out on the rail trail. But it’s worth it. I just booked a bike excursion for my Aspen trip coming up in July... something I never would have done at the age of 40, but which didn’t phase me at all at 56. I feel good and am wearing a size smaller than I did in high school.

I don’t have advice on exercise programs - I found something that works for me and I’ve stuck with it for the past few years now. You’re getting great suggestions on this thread... keep trying things until something clicks, but whatever you do....KEEP MOVING. Make the investment now. It’s worth it.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Tvan I so sympathize: I went through the anemia-fibroids-hysterectomy ordeal, too. It took forever to get an accurate diagnosis, so the anemia kept me from leading outing trips at school because I had no stamina. I thought it was just age. Then getting back to fitness after 8 weeks of recovery from the surgery was awful. I once broke down in tears because I couldn't run 1/2 a mile.

So I am highly motivated to protect my health and fitness.

Tvan

Angel Diva
@SallyCat - if I had known that I could live without pain, I would have had the hysterectomy much, much sooner! Life is much better now.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm like Pinto....variety is the spice of life. In the summer I run, hike, rollerblade, kayak, paddleboard, and road and mountain bike, plus I get on my Total Gym in the morning before work 3 days a week. In September I'll add the Skier's Edge to work the more skiing specific muscles. I need to start going back to my yoga classes to keep my range of motion, but.....OUTSIDE!

I have found that the more punishing things, like running, requires 2 days rest between sessions to remain injury free.

Right now, I'm trying to get back to normal after ACL replacement, and not being able to run, hike more than a mile or 2, or bike is just killing me. Small breakthrough, though, I did get out of my kayak yesterday without assistance! I got wet and it wasn't pretty, but I did it.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Couch to 5K is an awesome program! I put C25K Free (by Zen Labs) on my phone....it took me 3 years to finally get through the program injury-free (I'm a slow learner, apparently), but now I can go out and just jog 2-3 miles any old time.

The app tells you when to walk and run, when to warm up and cool down, and you can even control your music through the app. I got partway through the 10K program, too.

Tvan

Angel Diva
C25K is the app I used as well, augmented by a 5 Day Chi Running course with Danny Dreyer. I still go through the c25k program about once a year and find it valuable. I highly recommend Danny Dreyer’s Chi Running program as well. You can find 1 day programs taught by Chi Running instructors all over the world by going to the ChiRunning website.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/strength-training/strength-training-older-women/

I work with a personal trainer who follows these principles. I lift more weight than I ever thought I could. I get cardio, mobility, strength, etc. in a 60 minute workout 3 x's a week. I don't feel like "oh my, I worked out so hard today". I can deadlift my body weight and last week I bicycled my age, 70 miles. I was on a bike tour and rode a total of 249 miles for the week. Was I tired yes, it's taken me a few days to recover. Keep in mind I'm one of those people who started exercising in her 40's doing cardio and weight lifting. I spend a lot less time with cardio, did not do much training for the tour. The workouts I do now prepare me for anything I want to do. Interesting that I didn't feel much different on my ride days than I did when my preparation for tours was to ride as many miles as I could prior to the tour.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
My routine at 51: 20 min stairmaster
20 min jog on treadmill
Barbel squats
After that some upper body weights, sit-ups
Stretching.
Nutrition important
NO SUGAR
Bone broth protein powder coffee smoothie
For aches and pain with fish oil and glucosamine pills
My injury history:
Herniated disc
Torn meniscus. Healed naturally no surgery.
Lots of protein low carbs
Coconut oil instead of sugar in my coffee

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
For chronic pain sufferers like myself.
I never let 2 days go by without the gym.
Everyday supplements
Whey protein powder and bone broth protein powder shake
2 fish oil pills
2 glucosamine pills
I wear knee and back support braces
And ice my knees after any exercise

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna