• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Advice for Road Bike Size for Petite Woman

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have dual-sided pedals on my mt bike. One side is to clip in, other side is flat. While the idea sounded good, in practice it's annoying having to seek the right side for the shoe for an extra second. And they're heavy.

But learning to clip in and out wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.
I had dual sided pedals on my road bike when I first used clipless. They were ok if you wanted to wear flat shoes but I always used my cycling shoes so they were a pain. Speedplay pedals are the same on both sides so no fishing for the pedal. The Speedplay Frog, which is the mtn bike pedal, is also the same on both sides. The Frog cleat works only on mtn bike shoes and is recessed into the shoe.

There's a variety of pedals, each with their advantages and disadvantages. What does your fitter recommend?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never heard of dual sided pedals....I probably would have tried.
I'm a little scared (esp with knee issues now and lo bone density) to try clips ins but I will. First I will ride with stock pedals to get used to a different bike...
I used my Speedplays before ACL surgery on my bike trainer. After surgery my ortho wouldn't let me use them for a couple of months when I rode outdoors. Fortunately, Speedplay makes a "flat" pedal that inserts over the pedal and that's what I used.
I agree you need to get comfortable on the new bike first. It will feel so different. I didn't realize how a simple change in handlebars affected the feel of my bike. My body position on the bike is entirely different. Now I'm using the glute and core muscles vs. quads.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The first Kickstarter campaign I contributed to was Fly Pedals, which sounds like the Speedplay insert you use, @Little Lightning . :smile: https://www.flypedals.com/products/fly-pedals-version-2

On my mt bike, I was feeling like the handlebars weren't comfortable for me. They're not super wide, but I just haven't been comfortable in general. We moved the seat forward a bit this weekend, and it seemed to make a difference. I'm looking forward to testing it.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The first Kickstarter campaign I contributed to was Fly Pedals, which sounds like the Speedplay insert you use, @Little Lightning . :smile: https://www.flypedals.com/products/fly-pedals-version-2

On my mt bike, I was feeling like the handlebars weren't comfortable for me. They're not super wide, but I just haven't been comfortable in general. We moved the seat forward a bit this weekend, and it seemed to make a difference. I'm looking forward to testing it.
Yes, those are very similar to the Speed Plays. Haven't used them since my surgery.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Well tried to upload picture of new Specialized Ruby but file too large....
So next question is pedals.... Currently the plastic stock pedals (which last about 30 days) are on bike as I'm getting used to road bike vs mountain bike.... But they will have to go as I'm slipping and sliding....I have never used clips pedals (always had half clips and cages) and frankly at my age am a bit worried about falling... Low bone density, back, knee issues......
So back to previous posts:

Fly pedals sound like a good start. Speedplay is also an option. Are there any pedals that are either easy to release or dual? Sounds like Fly Pedals can be either way?

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have Look Keos, and they're super-easy to to release. The pedals that are dual (flat on one side) are a bit of a pain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly