• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Advice for never-ever skiers planning a holiday ski trip?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Over the years there have been good threads with advice for beginners or cautious intermediates, such as this one from 2016:

Speed Control for beginners/intermediates

I'm looking for advice on behalf of friends who are never-evers going on a multi-day ski vacation during the Christmas holidays. Obviously not an ideal time, but when you have kids in school or are working there isn't much choice. I learned to ski as a teen in the northeast so don't have direct personal experience to draw on. I helped get a friend started several years ago and can share what worked, and what didn't, later on. But would like to hear from Divas who have been through the experience themselves. Or from instructors with experience teaching never-ever classes.

Not just looking for suggestions about technique. Here's are some questions I've heard from newbies, especially those who drive to a ski resort in the Mid-Atlantic because that's my home region.

* Can I ski in jeans?
* Do I need a helmet?
* Do I really need gloves if it's over 35 degrees?
* Will soccer socks work? Hockey socks?
* When should we be there if the lifts open at 9:00?
* Where should we rent gear?
* I know I'm going to fall a lot. How do I avoid getting hurt?

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just spitballing a few:

1) RENT A HELMET
2) be prepared to cover all exposed skin. Normally, even on warm days, I never expose more than my face.
2.5) Warnings of frostbite: red skin is bad. White/waxy is very bad.
3) you need waterproof pants, coat, and gloves. If you fall and get wet, you’ll lose heat very quickly. Room to layer is helpful too.
4) wear the socks you will ski in when you get fitted for rental equipment.
5) take a lesson
6) if you are staying on the mountain, do not plan to ski to your first lesson
7) conditions deteriorate throughout the day, but if it’s very cold they can be too stiff in the earliest hours of morning. 10 am is often a great lesson time
8) take frequent breaks, don’t skip meals, and drink plenty of water
9) do not compare your progress to others, even other never evers
10) tip your instructor

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
Woohoo it's awesome that your friends are bold enough to try skiing for the first time on vacation! It's not so long ago that I was a never-ever myself, so I may not have the wisest advice, but at least those days are fresh in my mind?
  1. It's physically possible to ski in jeans, especially if they're under rainpants and a non-cotton baselayer is worn underneath. Will the jeans-wearer be as comfortable as they'd like? probably not. If worn next to the skin and without an outer layer the jeans-wearer will be soggy from the outside in and inside out.
  2. gloves - especially as a beginner, don't skip these, and make them waterproof! Even if it's warm. For my first time over on the snow I wore fleece gloves under those cheap rubber gloves I use for house-cleaning. I was falling so often that the waterproofing made a huge difference, otherwise my hands would have been perpetually covered in melting snow and misery.
  3. You don't need fancy expensive ski gear. Most people already have a rain jacket to layer under, and you can even buy Frog Togs rain pants for as little as $35 from Walmart. For my first few outings I wore long underwear and fleece pajama pants under rain pants, and a baselayer top, fleece, and puffy vest under a rain jacket,
  4. Even if you don't think you'll ever ski again, buy goggles that fit. You can rent everything else.
  5. I figure any thin, non-cotton sock will work. Just don't be as stupid as I was and wear thick smartwool crew socks your first time.
  6. boots should fit tightly, otherwise you can't steer. Take it from someone who wore size 25.5 boots for the first few times but is actually a size 23.5 LV.
  7. Rent gear at the mountain, that way if it doesn't work out (wrong size boot or ski) you can exchange it once you learn more about skiing.
  8. snack early and often.
  9. Falling is a fact of life. Snow is soft, and newbies on runs appropriate to them aren't going too fast. I fall a lot, and notice that if I consciously relax before I hit the snow it hurts less.
  10. take it easy, have fun, and plan non-skiing activities too!

marzNC

Angel Diva
2) be prepared to cover all exposed skin. Normally, even on warm days, I never expose more than my face.
2.5) Warnings of frostbite: red skin is bad. White/waxy is very bad.
How much coverage and warm clothing is necessary depends a lot on the region and dates of the holiday trip. For instance, a Christmas week in VA can mean temps in the 40s. For that matter, even on MLK weekend could have a warm spell with no temps lower than 30, even at night. Certainly a holiday at Tremblant or Stowe in Jan or Feb means the potential of temps in single digits during the day

But brings up a point about sun screen. All exposed skin needs sun screen regardless of temperature or clouds. Sun reflecting off snow is stronger than you might guess.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How much coverage and warm clothing is necessary depends a lot on the region and dates of the holiday trip. For instance, a Christmas week in VA can mean temps in the 40s. For that matter, even on MLK weekend could have a warm spell with no temps lower than 30, even at night. Certainly a holiday at Tremblant or Stowe in Jan or Feb means the potential of temps in single digits during the day

But brings up a point about sun screen. All exposed skin needs sun screen regardless of temperature or clouds. Sun reflecting off snow is stronger than you might guess.

Completely forgot about sunscreen! I’m notorious for burnt cheeks in January. I definitely recall some shockingly cold days at the nutt and kicking myself for underestimating midA winters. I also recall skiing in my bra on a 53 degree day (thank you Snapchat weather filter, college Wookiee is now immortal). Though even in my bra, I always wear gloves!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
A word about gloves. They are a must and not just for warmth. Snow - especially the man-made stuff - can be rougher on exposed skin than people realize. The last thing they want as beginners is to also have bloody knuckles or abrasions on their hands from falling.

Even on the warmest spring skiing days I always wear gloves for hand protection.

marzNC

Angel Diva
* Will soccer socks work? Hockey socks?
* Where should we rent gear?
Hockey or soccer socks can work if temperatures are moderate, meaning in the 20s not teens. The main advantage is that they are long. Best to have socks that go up above the top of ski boots. As opposed to standard athletic socks that end up bunching up in the boots. However, for a first ski trip that's going include 2-3 days of skiing there is a lot to be said for investing in a pair of ski socks. It's counter-intuitive but thicker is NOT better. Ski boots are meant to fit snugly. Midweight ski socks work well for beginners.

The advantage of renting a ski gear package (skis, boots, poles) at the mountain is that it's easier to change if the boots are not quite right or the skis are too short or too long. Usually a little more expensive at smaller ski areas. At destination resorts there may be more than one choice for renting so can pay to shop around. Worthwhile to see if the rental can be set up online beforehand. Avoids waiting in line and having to fill out forms when all bundled up in ski clothes. Often get a discount for an advance reservation. Multi-day discounts are common.

Most beginners will be okay with standard rental gear. But the next level up rental package can mean better boots. For people with hard to fit feet, might be worth trying. No reason to rent "Demo" gear the first time skiing.

Even a rental shop at a small mountain usually has more than one type of ski boot. As a teen, my niece used to try on 2-3 pairs of boots at Massanutten (northern VA) before deciding which pair was better. Ski boots may look the same from the outside, but they differ in width, length, and height even for the same size. Size is measured in Mondo, not standard U.S. shoe size. But usually a beginner is asked their street shoe size. Often the boots are too big. Best to have the smallest size that fits the length of the feet.

https://www.evo.com/guides/ski-boot-size-chart-mondo-point-conversion

Nothing should go inside boots except socks. Do not tuck long underwear or ski pants inside boots. If wearing thin tights, may be okay inside the boots but avoid any creases.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thrift shops right now should have ski clothing out on the racks, if you live above the Mason Dixon line. Costco has inexpensive goggles and decent quality ski pants and jackets right now, but then I live in MA. Not sure about Costco stores in lower states. They also stock ski gloves.

Thrift shops may even have ski socks. I get good used ones at thrift shops for about 25 - 50 cents a pair. New ski socks often cost a whopping $20 per pair. Try not to wear cotton socks. NO COTTON! Thin wool socks or ones that have a synthetic blend including some wool are both fine. Amazingly, very tight compression socks are great inside those ski boots. Whatever you get for socks, they should come up to the knees and be snug without any wrinkles. Wrinkles and seams inside ski boots cause trouble.

To keep toes warm, buy one package of toe warmers for each day of skiing. Ignore the instructions and place them on TOP of the socks over your toes. That will work wonders to keep your toes warm. Cold feet can ruin a day of skiing.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have heard that TJ Maxx can have clothing and jackets useful for skiing. Probably gloves too in northern states. Of course, in the midwest (MI, IL, WI, etc.) people probably have warm jackets and gloves in general. More of an issue for folks in the southeast to find good waterproof gloves. If you have friends who ski/board, might see if they have extra gloves you can borrow. Especially if taking kids.

MissySki

Angel Diva
When I was first starting out I got a cheap jacket at Kohl's and super cheap clearance snow pants and waterproof mittens at a local ski shop. ( I believe Jacket was ~$35, pants under $20, and mittens ~15). None of it was cute, but it worked for the first year or 2 when I wasn't going many times per year and I was way more worried about not killing myself on the slopes than how fashionable I looked!

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hockey or soccer socks can work if temperatures are moderate, meaning in the 20s not teens. The main advantage is that they are long. Best to have socks that go up above the top of ski boots. As opposed to standard athletic socks that end up bunching up in the boots. However, for a first ski trip that's going include 2-3 days of skiing there is a lot to be said for investing in a pair of ski socks. It's counter-intuitive but thicker is NOT better. Ski boots are meant to fit snugly. Midweight ski socks work well for beginners.

Of all the ski gear, I feel like ski socks are so multipurpose! I think even someone who may never ski again can definitely benefit from adding nice warm socks to their wardrobe. And for example, my lightest weight ski socks are also perfect hiking socks!

I’d also like to note that my favorite “Long Johns” are the same dang clothes I wear to the gym year round. Cropped leggings especially because they don’t affect my boots

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have heard that TJ Maxx can have clothing and jackets useful for skiing
Yep, saw some Spyder pants today for only $39. (They we’re so fluorescent they made me dizzy). Ski socks are common, but look in both the women’s and men’s sections, they are often mixed up. For mitts and gloves, it can also be worth checking kids L and XL sizes. For similar construction the price is often much lower.

mustski

Angel Diva
I know that there aren't many Kmarts anymore, but our local store carries inexpensive snow gear, including long underwear. It's especially good for kids who are going to outgrow everything really quickly anyway. Make sure kids have more than one pair of gloves. They will play in the snow and their gloves may not dry overnight.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know that there aren't many Kmarts anymore, but our local store carries inexpensive snow gear, including long underwear. It's especially good for kids who are going to outgrow everything really quickly anyway. Make sure kids have more than one pair of gloves. They will play in the snow and their gloves may not dry overnight.

My local Bobs stores all stock inexpensive ski gear as well. Not sure if they do this down south though. And my parents only wish my brother and I soaked our gloves playing in the snow! We used to have snowball fights with our bare hands!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Discovered to day that the Costco in Raleigh, NC has ski goggles, ski gloves (men, women, kids), and heat packs. Didn't look to see whether they had long underwear or other useful cold weather clothing or outerwear. As I remember the heat packs are only around in the local stores until about January.

Jilly

Staff member
Base layers would in the clothing section. Or that's where they are at our local Costco. Not bad stuff to get started with. They do have meriano here in Canada.

marzNC

Angel Diva
An old thread started in 2007-08 that begins with great advice for first time skiers and boarders from a very experienced ski instructor. Only thing that's changed in the last decade is that there are far more women of all ability levels who have joined TheSkiDiva.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/first-time-skier-information.2149/

First Time Skiers: What to do on your first day. Wear a ski jacket, ski pants, and ski gloves or mittens. You will want all of this to keep you dry because you will be falling down. Don't over dress with a lot of layers because you will be working hard and you will get hot quickly. If you are renting skis from the area's rental shop make sure you let your skis cool down before you put them on the snow. Stand with your skis apart for a few minutes until they are cold on the bottom!! If you put a warm ski on the cold snow the snow will melt that is under the ski and then the ski will cool down and the now water will freeze to the bottom of the ski and you will not be able to move. :( If you time it right you can walk to your lesson and let your instructor help you get your skis on. If you have time before your lesson and you have a freind to help you then have them help you put your skis on. Note to Friends :just show them how to walk around on their skis and do it where it is flat and they can't get into to trouble going down any hills!! Then take them to their lesson.

To First time skiers: Take some time to get fit. Learning to ski is a workout. I want you to fall in love with skiing and have FUN not get tired and frustrated on your first day. Remember that just because you took one lesson you may not be ready for the big hill. Don't let your friends take you up the hill until your instructor says so or until you have solid linked turns with complete speed contol and you can STOP no matter how fast you are going!! You may need 3 or 4 lessons before you are ready for the big hill. Take your time and do it right you don't want to get hurt. You want to have FUN!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna