• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Advice for demo'ing skis

CindiSue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
5'6" 115 pounds, started skiing in my 40's, and 55 now. Ski at Sun Valley. I am a terminal intermediate and went through a lot of boot issues (resolved thanks to this forum!), but I finally decided to improve; I am in weekly classes and improving rapidly. My skis are 2009 Atomic Cloud 9's. We haven't had new snow so it's been icy and my skis aren't digging in, so they are being tuned as we speak. I've never demo'd skis because I didn't think I'd be able to tell the difference, but now I think I finally can. Mine are pretty old and the instructor thought a wider underfoot would be better. I am a careful skier; don't like to ski fast although I have significantly increased my speed this year (which is good because I was too slow). I've got the form and angulation down finally, just need to ski it in so I can maintain it in steeper terrain. I don't know bumps yet. We don't get deep powder often. I like groomers and junky snow, and will probably start experimenting with a little off-piste.

1. I was warned to take it easy at first with my skis being sharper. What does this mean in practice? I will be skiing on them Monday.
2. Tuesday in class I will be doing a free demo; I think it will be a Rossignol Experience. Any advice how to test them? I'm sure there's another post but couldn't find one, so feel free to link to it.
3. Then I can line up 3 demo's in a day for $60 or $70. Any advice on what I should demo? Blizzards? K2's? Vokyl's?

Thanks!
Cindi

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you'll love the tuned Atomics! Just ski! Same with Demo's I usually take a ski on an easy trail then I take the demo's down a steeper one. Rossi Experience get Rave Reviews! Let us know what you think! Try as many as you can!! Great to try skis on the same day, same conditions!

UtahDesert

Certified Ski Diva
The Experience 84s will ski well right from the start, if my impression is anything to go by. If it's the Experience 88s you might be like me and think at first, oh, no way, this is not for me. But give them a chance, be aware that you have to take more control of them (if this is the right way to put it), and you might find you really, really like them.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Any advice how to test them? I'm sure there's another post but couldn't find one, so feel free to link to it.
Just go skiing. It will be probably pretty obvious if you are 1) having fun, or 2) having to work hard to make turns, or 3) finding the skis okay but not exciting. Demo'ing while working with an instructor can work out well. Just focus on what the instructor is suggesting you work on and don't worry about the skis until after the lesson is over. My first multi-day clinic out west I didn't bring my own skis and had demo skis. Liked them enough that I bought a pair during summer sales.

For some ideas related to demo'ing skis:

https://www.theskidiva.com/how-to-demo-skis/

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...en-asking-for-help-to-demo-or-buy-skis.23126/

newboots

Angel Diva
Helpful for the demo:

Find your BSL (boot sole length) and tell it to the technician who is adjusting the demo bindings on the ski. Makes things go more quickly.

Have a plan - one or two specific skis you'd like to try. But they won't always be available, so be flexible.

Write some notes, because (believe it) you'll forget later.

I have only recently tried different skis. It takes a little practice to identify what is different about them. At first, with my new Blizzard Black Pearl 82s, I could only say that I was having more fun on them!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I like to do the same exact run with varying speeds and turn shapes, as well as a series of small radius turns, medium radius, and large radius. I try to do similar things up to a point and the free ski the rest to see where the ski shines. If it doesn’t shine at anything, then I know I can write it off. If it shines in 2-5 things I take it out again at the end of the demo session in a head to head with the others that also stood out. I take notes while I wait for the demo folks to adjust the demo bindings to my boot. Have fun, Demo’ing is hard!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have a plan - one or two specific skis you'd like to try. But they won't always be available, so be flexible.

Write some notes, because (believe it) you'll forget later.
Have a length in mind but be willing to try one size longer or one size shorter.

Take pictures of the skis you get to check out, preferably with readable stats if they are printed on the skis somewhere.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Definitely have an idea of what skis you'd like to try and some lengths. I run into them not usually having the longer womens lengths so either had to go short or try the mens. Also, don't be afraid to try a ski you may not have heard much about or is written about as above your level. I surprised myself being able to ski skis considered more advanced than I thought I was. Talk about a confidence booster! I did know I probably wasn't going to like two layers of metal and I was right. I had never heard of the Kore 93 when I saw it in the Head tent. I only gave it a try because they had a 171 length. Two runs and I was in love. I compared it to 4-5 other skis and they blew them out of the water. I bought them back in the fall and have been smiling ever since!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly