• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Advice for best choice December trip

tartegnin

Certified Ski Diva
asking the experts here (aka, anyone with an opinion :wave:): I'm an instructor at our local mid-Atlantic resort and therefore busy Jan/Feb and as much of March as we can manage. Also, married to a school teacher who will want to go somewhere warm for xmas break. All this is by way of setting the stage that my likely best shot at my own ski week is going to be mid-December (will also try for a spring trip in late March if possible). So, would appreciate any thoughts on where best to go. My basic criteria:

Epic pass mountain
Relatively easy airport transfer
Likely decent snow in mid-December
more leaning towards groomed blues and blacks and lovely long greens (not a big back country or mogul skiier - knees won't take it)
Easy to get around without a car

I'm thinking Beaver Creek/Vail, but would really appreciate any thoughts here.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
My first thought is Deer Valley, but since you want an Epic resort, maybe look into Park City. I've been there before in December. What I like about Park City is that there are a lot of rentals and hotels so prices are very reasonable, you don't need a car to get around (I took an Uber from the SLC airport) because of the excellent free bus system. I've not skied at the Park City mountain, but lots of others have. Good luck

Christy

Angel Diva
If you want natural snow, I think Whistler. I've been many times early to mid December and had really good snow. Not always, though, and weather/climate has gotten so variable. The one box that it doesn't tick is lovely long greens--there are long greens, but they are cat tracks, and decidedly not lovely.

There are quite a few places that will have manmade ribbons, so you might want to think about if that is enough. You mentioned Beaver Creek--I've been in early Dec. for the World Cup races but there isn't generally a ton open. Like many places they are making snow and opening runs as they can. Not sure about Vail.

You might think about whether it would be worth it to pay more in airfare but to book relatively last minute depending on snow conditions. I personally won't book an early season trip in advance anymore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly