• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Advanced skier but still get on hill panic attacks

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Ice Kitten Where in central Wisconsin (I used to live in Iron Mountain, MI)?

Looks like Sheperd and Schaller Sporting goods in Wausau might be a possibility.

Last edited:

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Ice Kitten - I just replaced my boots and the new ones feel more precise. Noticed that I'm not gripping with my toes as much - I'd put that down to my technique/fear level, but now think it was because the liners had packed out so much.

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
@Obrules15 : we're in Madison, so it's probably about the same distance either way, but my parents live closer to Wausau so we have a good possibility of getting up there sooner than a trip down to Chicago. I am also going to be in a group lesson tomorrow, so I will ask one of the instructors where they recommend going!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Obrules15 : we're in Madison, so it's probably about the same distance either way, but my parents live closer to Wausau so we have a good possibility of getting up there sooner than a trip down to Chicago. I am also going to be in a group lesson tomorrow, so I will ask one of the instructors where they recommend going!
Traffic answers that question. It doesn't sound like they are perfect but if you go in as an informed consumer (performance fit 1.5 cm clearance) and understand that smaller boots hurt less (tightness distributed across entire foot instead of the result of cranking down the buckles) you should be headed in the right direction. Review @liquidfeet instructions for boot buying (she's way more eloquent than I) and you should be golden.

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
@Pequenita - fantastic, thanks! I think I will go in for a pair then. I'm also going to get some proper ski socks - I have just been wearing my fluffiest pair to try to bulk up the inside of the boot, so I'll see how it goes with that combination.

Thanks everyone! Sorry to hijack the thread.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I was going to get some Superfeet to put in my boot to try and take some space, but I'm slightly hesitant to a) drop $50 on a short-term fix (especially if it doesn't work), and b) I'm a little worried about throwing my (already precarious) balance off any more than it is, especially if the angle of the padded heel throws me off kilter. Maybe I should try with some Walgreens insoles first!
Superfeet insoles are great. I wear them in every pair of shoes I own (well, I switch a few pairs out). I use the green. Yes, they can work in ski boots, at least as a temp fix (but you already know the long-term answer). And they otherwise are excellent in street shoes. Orthopedist I see was delighted to see them in my shoes. Physical therapist said I was a perfect fit in that size, no modifications necessary.

Worth the $. (I get mine on ebay now.)

ETA: too-big boots can be a real nightmare. So sorry you're dealing with this.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We're in central Wisconsin - I know there's a recommended bootfitter near Chicago (Viking Ski Shop), so we might aim to get there before next season. Chicago's not terribly far, but it's not an easy trip either.
My brother-in-law and his son get their boots at Scandinavian Ski in Glenview, IL. I think that's close to WI than Viking. Not too far from O'Hare airport. Family shop that's been around for a while. I bought skis from them from eBay a while back. Have stopped in a few times when visiting and was impressed with the selection of boots and other goods.

https://www.scanskishop.com

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks everybody! Some really good places to start. I asked my ski instructor where she recommends and she said if I can hold off until next season, she recommends joining the ski camp at Loveland they hold in November where their bootfitter sets up as well. She said not only is he great, but he also watches you ski in your fitted boots and can adjust them accordingly. We're thinking we might try that! In the meantime, I did order some Superfeet and can't wait to give them a try in my current boots!

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve been looking for help getting over fear of skiing too fast (getting hurt) and one of the things that made sense to me was to embrace the fear.

“The more you face your fear in your mind, the easier it is to deal with in real life. Imagine yourself in a scary ski or snowboard scenario. Intensify the anxiety in your mind and try and hold on to it for 10 minutes. “Fear comes in to make you stronger, but if you have a belief fear is bad somehow, you freeze, hoping it will go away,” says Kristen Ulmer who runs freedom from fear ski camps. “Show fear some love and nerves calm right down. That’s where great skiing lies – doing a dance with fear down the mountain.”

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna