• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Adult boots in kids bindings

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
Hi - long time, no see :-)
But unfortunately the travel restrictions put my skiing on hold.....

Anyway, we're going to Sweden in January and when trying on boots, we realized that the 9-year old had owngrown his.
But he fit perfectly in my old 22's. His skis are 122 kid's skis.
Will my women's boots fit kid's bindings, or should we look for kid's boots in 22 instead?
I just find it a bit silly, if he can use mine (which he will probably outgrow in a year).
The skis are in storage, so I can't take them to check and all questions I found on Google is for the opposite issue; Junior boots and adult bindings. None for short kids with large feet :smile:

Any inputs?

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It’s honestly a mix. Most brands do a little kids’ binding that goes to 4 and a Junior binding that goes to 7. The 4 usually isn’t compatible for kids & adults, and the 7 usually is. But there are exceptions to the norm (Look works for both in their 4 binding and Marker doesn’t in their 7).

Unfortunately the best course of action is to either check the stored skis or plan on renting.

Jilly

Staff member
He might fit into your boots, but can he flex the boot? Kids boots are softer in flex than adult boots. Then there is the binding issue.

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
He might fit into your boots, but can he flex the boot? Kids boots are softer in flex than adult boots. Then there is the binding issue.
They are only 60 in flex - his previous was 50 and being 2 years older and almost 4" taller, I think it should be ok. They're a short, narrow women's model and I got them as a beginner - but they got too small after weight gain :-)

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
It’s honestly a mix. Most brands do a little kids’ binding that goes to 4 and a Junior binding that goes to 7. The 4 usually isn’t compatible for kids & adults, and the 7 usually is. But there are exceptions to the norm (Look works for both in their 4 binding and Marker doesn’t in their 7).

Unfortunately the best course of action is to either check the stored skis or plan on renting.
Maybe silly question....... Will I know if they fit or not? I mean - will it be a question of not getting in the binding at all, or could they look like they fit, but maybe come loose or be unstable in use?

Jilly

Staff member
Do you have a shop near by that you can take them too. Be careful, because they will probably work on selling you new stuff.

Also you mention that the skis are 122s...How tall is your son. Those could be too short now.

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
Do you have a shop near by that you can take them too. Be careful, because they will probably work on selling you new stuff.

Also you mention that the skis are 122s...How tall is your son. Those could be too short now.
No shops....... Living in Denmark, we don't do ski-stuff for kids - only adults ;-)
There is one shop about 4 hours drive and a ferry away, and besides that, only pop-up shops during the winter in connection to regular sports shops.
He is about 130 cm /4 ft 3"
I have decided I might look into those Roxa Chameleon ones instead. The largest size begins at 22 and ends at 25 and they should be kid's type.
Any golden advice on adjustable boots?

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@jokael - they will be able to click in, but will not interface perfectly with the toe/heel welt and won't interface properly with the AFD. Essentially, there will be visual signs, but it won't be obvious without a close visual inspection.

For the Roxas, let me see if I can confirm whether they're child or adult boot norms. Salomon puts children's lugs on the little kid boots (the smaller 1-2 buckle boots like the T1 and T2) and they swap to adult norms for their big kid boots (3-4 buckle T3s or Shift JR). There's a chance that the Roxa you'd buy would have the same compatibility issue.

Jilly

Staff member
The Roxa website states that some boots are Alpine/Gripwalk or Alpine/Gripwalk Junior. The Chameleon are not marked as Junior. So maybe?

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
The Roxa website states that some boots are Alpine/Gripwalk or Alpine/Gripwalk Junior. The Chameleon are not marked as Junior. So maybe?
These are not gripwalk just regular alpine.
My colleague got them from her daughter, but they only fit for 2 x 5 days. They’re scratched a lot, but with only 10 days in them, I feel ok with them.

Attachments

• AFA6685F-91F9-40E8-B587-5B63851966A3.png
    AFA6685F-91F9-40E8-B587-5B63851966A3.png
    891.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 284B9BCF-E7C8-44BA-BD53-A8C7441204EB.png
    284B9BCF-E7C8-44BA-BD53-A8C7441204EB.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 4

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jilly - yeah, I found the same thing on their tech manual.

@jokael - The most recent Chameleon has interchangeable sole blocks so people can put either an ISO 5355 downhill or GripWalk sole on it. But the rest of their junior boots in their tech manual call out "Alpine/GripWalk Junior" while the Chameleon just says "Alpine/GripWalk" for binding compatibility.

If they're interchanging a regular Gripwalk sole, that means the alpine sole is the adult one. Another way to check is to measure the width of the boot sole. An adult sole will be about 70mm under the ball of the foot, while a kids boot will be about 65mm. Some junior boots have adult soles. If that's the case, the boot is no different than your women's boot he tried on when it comes to compatibility.

Attachments

• roxa1.PNG
    roxa1.PNG
    262.7 KB · Views: 0
  • roxa2.PNG
    roxa2.PNG
    341.4 KB · Views: 0

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
@Jilly - yeah, I found the same thing on their tech manual.

@jokael - The most recent Chameleon has interchangeable sole blocks so people can put either an ISO 5355 downhill or GripWalk sole on it. But the rest of their junior boots in their tech manual call out "Alpine/GripWalk Junior" while the Chameleon just says "Alpine/GripWalk" for binding compatibility.

If they're interchanging a regular Gripwalk sole, that means the alpine sole is the adult one. Another way to check is to measure the width of the boot sole. An adult sole will be about 70mm under the ball of the foot, while a kids boot will be about 65mm. Some junior boots have adult soles. If that's the case, the boot is no different than your women's boot he tried on when it comes to compatibility.
Thanks. I’ll ask her if she can measure the sole before she brings them to work.

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
Ok, total confusion here.....
The Roxas measure 15 mm toe height = kid’s boots
But 70 mm sole width = adult boots.

His current boots are 15 mm toe and 60 mm sole.
How much does the width matter in the bindings?

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I misspoke on the orientation of the measurement, so I popped the full chart form Salomon's tech manual below.

A boot has to either meet ISO 5355 A or ISO 5355 C in order to work with any binding, so I would either contact Roxa for confirmation or check the measurements again.

One thing that comes to mind is that the very end of the toe welt angles up, so if you're measuring the toe height from the side vs the front, you and your coworker might be getting slightly different measurements. On Salomon's chart, F covers the full toe welt height, but E accounts for the fact that it's slightly shorter at the front of the boot. For adult boots, the total toe height is 19 (plus or minus 1), but is 5mm (plus or minus 1) shorter at the very end where the bottom lines slope upwards, which might be how your coworker is getting to the 15mm.

Also, it's utter insanity that retailers and manufacturers don't make this stuff more clear.
chart.PNG

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
Wow - it’s the first time I see such a detailed chart. I have googled and googled with no luck
I had a talk with DH and he was actually pretty clear; The boy needs a boot size 22, whether or not it fits his bindings - we can’t make his feet shorter. And TBH, there’s a bigger chance that the adjustable ones will be made for junior bindings than if we just grab a regular pair in 22, which could also be used by petite women.
So I think we’ll take the Roxas and cross the binding-bridge if/when we get to it

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have decided I might look into those Roxa Chameleon ones instead. The largest size begins at 22 and ends at 25 and they should be kid's type.
Any golden advice on adjustable boots?
Only recent discussion I've seen about Roces and Roxa size-adjustable boots has been on the Australian ski forum. But only for much younger kids.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna