• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Adjusting to high altitude, over 6000 ft

angelaskis

Certified Ski Diva
Not much to add in terms of prevention/treatment tips - I’m thankfully mostly spared from altitude sickness symptoms, apart from really odd and vivid dreams! One was a pool noodle fight with a cartoon character...The things my sleeping oxygen deprived brain comes up with.:loco: Does this happen to anyone else?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not much to add in terms of prevention/treatment tips - I’m thankfully mostly spared from altitude sickness symptoms, apart from really odd and vivid dreams! One was a pool noodle fight with a cartoon character...The things my sleeping oxygen deprived brain comes up with.:loco: Does this happen to anyone else?

YES!! OMG I've had some WILD dreams! The disrupted sleep due to carzy dreams is the most I've had for Altitude issues, thankfully never the headache. A humidifier in the room helps quite a bit and the Ginko has really helped

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
YES!! OMG I've had some WILD dreams! The disrupted sleep due to carzy dreams is the most I've had for Altitude issues, thankfully never the headache. A humidifier in the room helps quite a bit and the Ginko has really helped
Which gingko supplement do you use? My dr gave me a prescription for diamox as last time in Taos had pretty gnarly headaches most of the time...

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get mine from Walgreens. I believe nature made is the brand. It’s not the best for me as it’s a rice flour base, but I’ll deal with a small amount of side effect to relieve the headaches. I’m coming from sea level and a humid environment so I still get a slight nose bleed by day 3. Using a moisturizing nose spray helps + dehumidifiers, but I can’t replicate the subtropical environment I live in, so I do the best I can with what I’ve got.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ginkgo is NOW I just buy good brand either 60mg and take 2 or 120 mg
I have chlorophyll too- the cook at Columbine said they give that to people
I have to have a humidifier in the room w/me for best sleeping. I need to get a portable one

Christy

Angel Diva
We always get a humidifier at Sun Valley from the hotel. It makes such a huge difference in terms of not having to constantly apply moisturizer and Chapstick, and then my hair doesn't look as much like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket. We had one as usual this last trip when we were probably feeling the effects of altitude, so I don't think that makes a difference for us in terms of that.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Will be sleeping at over 9,000 feet and was told all rooms have humidifiers.... in 2018 had bad headaches so will go with plenty of water, add NUUN electrolytes, and diamox for a couple days prior and 2 days into trip....

judeb

Certified Ski Diva
Coca leaf tea really helped when I was in Cusco last year. I wanted to bring a couple of boxes back with me, but unfortunately it's illegal here. So failing that, I make a point of staying hydrated and breathing deeply.

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump: for 2023-24 season

There is a lot of good info and first-hand stories about adjusting to high altitude, in particular for trips by flat-landers to ski resorts with a base at over 6000-9000 ft.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna