• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Adjusting kid's ski bindings

lljc00

Certified Ski Diva
I have some cheapo skis I picked up 2nd hand for my 9 year old daughter a couple of years ago. They were probably rental skis in an earlier life. While she hasn't outgrown the skis (we only got a chance to go once last year, so I'd say she's still low-intermediate), she has the boots.

I actually have the Roces adjustable skis boots now, which should last her at least another year, if not two. The previous boots that were fitted to the ski bindings were just some basic boots. These new ones are longer in the Boot Sole Length.

The skis are Head XRC XR50 and the bindings are Tyrolia SP 45. I adjusted the bindings to fit the larger BSL. One adjustment in the front and one in back. Easy peasey.

Do you think that's sufficient? Am I going to get in trouble with her boots not releasing and her spraining a leg by doing DIY, or do I really need to take it to the shop to have them adjust them? I don't see any screw to adjust the toe - are all kids booths/bindings the same thickness? I did the index card test - where I could pull out/push in an index card (folded over to make it about 1/2 mm thick, I have calipers to measure this) between the toe part and a clipped in boot. I left her DIN setting the same.

Just dont want to waste money for something that's probably some guys' 3 minutes of work.

Thanks

zoomamyd

Angel Diva
Please take them into a shop! It's so not worth risking your daughter's safety. It is a very easy adjustment, and that's why a lot of people think they can do it themselves, but the truth is, you can't know for sure it will release when she needs it to unless you do the safety release test, which requires a machine only shops have.

Please please bring it in. We charge $10 for it, and I know some shops do it for free (especially rental shops at the base of the mountain), and anywhere you go that's worth their salt will do it while you wait. $10 or $20 and a few minutes of your time is more than worth it.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's very likely her DIN changed with the change in BSL and a year's worth of growth (height and weight). Unless you know how to calculate DIN and adjust and check forward pressure, take them to a shop, please.

newboots

Angel Diva
Even if one can calculate the DIN, there's no way to test the bindings to see if they are working without the machine. I guess @zoomamyd already mentioned this, but a sprain could be the least of the bad outcomes if they won't release when necessary. Also, they will test to see if the DIN is actually the number you set it to - older bindings sometimes need to be set at 6 in order to provide a 4.5 DIN.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna