• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Adjusting BSL/DIN/Forward pressure

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Ski sharing.....

My daughter and I ski a similar length ski and it would be lovely if we could try out each other's skis here and there. OK, I really want to try her Dynastar Exclusive Eden mostly because she feels like this about them :love:

Up to this point, I have always gone into the shop to have the BSL and DIN adjusted for her, and then back again. This is getting a bit pricey since it is $40 to share the ski just one time ($20 each direction). I see a lot of sharing going on in the future, and would love to learn how to safely do this myself. If I was ever concerned we weren't getting it right, I would pop into the shop.

The skis she and I would want to share are mounted with Marker Squires and our BSL just makes it (309, 296). I could ski on her DIN if I took it easy, but do not want her skiing on mine.

Link to DIN calculation I found helpful:
https://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skiing/equipment/bindings/din-calculator.html

I have found BSL/DIN/forward pressure instructions online, but would love verification from the experienced ladies here as well.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Mechanicsofsport - the link I provided above shows the DIN calculation. The DIN calculator is accurate as I plugged in various specs of people that I know their DIN (myself, my daughter, my husband) and results were identical.

In terms of where I found the adjustment information, there were several including theskimonster and livestrong. That said, I am inquiring here precisely because I want feedback on how the ladies here handle ski sharing. If they are adjusting themselves, I expect they have trusted guidelines.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So it's really easy to adjust.. DH has been adjusting all mine for BSL as I ski them since I got new boots, guys in the shop gave us a heads up on what to do since it's only really forward pressure changing for me and not my din because the difference was only 8mm.. We also have some friends that have very close BSLs to DH and they were all swapping skis this weekend.

IF you want a tutorial we can help you out on the mountain one day. Of course you have to be comfortable with assuming that responsibility overall if you are going to be doing your own adjustments ya know?

One of my skis have the Squires which we adjusted no problem, I was pounding on them in the bumps and trees all weekend with no issue, and then I even double ejected from them Saturday so I know they released as they were supposed to lol. (Yeah I meant to do that, just testing out my release honest! :thumbsup:)

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@MissySki, I would love an on-mountain tutorial. We will be there both Sat/Sun and will shoot you a line. Thanks!

lisamamot

Angel Diva

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Was going to reply sooner, looks like you got your answers already. :smile:

While it's always an "at your own risk" kind of deal, DH and I have been doing it for years, as for many we had the same BSL , if different DIN - and until/if DIN was changed (also easy), we were just careful: he of ejecting, me of not releasing. (Such as a swap-out mid-run, which we'd been known to do.)

We are now a slightly different BSL, so he carries tools (boot bag), and we still do swap out occasionally.

Good luck, isn't that hard to do, way fun to switch out.

Jilly

Staff member
DH used to do this with skis.....we had them mounted with demo bindings. It was just the BSL that was different.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recommend not relying on the visual indicator when adjusting the DIN because they are not always accurate. Instead, count the number of screwdriver turns you make on one side and do the same on the other.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The article is correct for the Royal Family and the older Comp bindings. Some of the Marker demo bindings are a bit different.

Just don't forget to switch the DIN setting back, too.

It's best done with the right tools, as well: a very large flat head or a #3 phillips screwdriver. Using a standard sized flat head or a #2 phillips can strip out the adjusting screws.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, 40 bucks! Here adjusting bindings costs nothing at all. Any ski shop in a resort will do it for free. For 20 bucks a pop you will be better off to doing it yourself.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
They adjusted my BSL to my new boots for free on both my pairs of skis, but I had just bought the boots there. I brought in my DH old skis to setup for a friend and it was $20. Brought in a pair of my skis to setup for my daughter, and it was $20.

After watching the reps on a demo day do it so quickly each time I figured it was something we could learn. A screw driver, a demonstration, and backup printed instructions looks like the way to go!

Jilly

Staff member
We're only that unless it's a complete remount. Cookies/cash work good too, unless beer is cheap.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I've gotten bindings adjusted for free on-mountain, too.
DH forgot an allen wrench for adjusting DIN on his PX10's once (to lower DIN for me). Ski shop would not even LEND HIM AN ALLEN WRENCH, much less adjust the DIN. WTH? We dealt. There is that much liability hanging over some of these shops....:rolleyes: We don't forget our own tools anymore...

lisamamot

Angel Diva
We dropped off a batch of cookies last weekend as a thank you. Beer will follow soon!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly