• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Active COVID outbreaks at ski resorts

Jilly

Staff member
@kiki mentioned on Friday nights zoom party that WB has a Covid outbreak. My neighbour at Tremblant daughter's work there. We had a quick talk. It's about 200 people. The daughter knows 12 of them. Like Big White..staff no guests.

Jilly

Staff member
Another source told me it was a house party that 2 positive cases attended.....

kiki

Angel Diva
Yes 288 cases between Jan 1-26. They rate of cases is 700/1000,000 people, compared to about 64/100,000 in North Vancouver, just an hour and a half away. Hopefully things will stabilize soon.

finsterlee

Certified Ski Diva
We own a home up there that we rent out. There is a "ski local/don't travel" request from the Health Minister of BC in place. All our guests are historically around 40 with kids, or 50ish with college kids. This year we've had only one of our families come back, while getting 15 new renters all between 25-35. We also get bulletins from the Vancouver Health Dept whenever there is a case in a public place, and it's almost 95% Whistler restaurant/bars. A couple in Vancouver.

Whistler is just such a small town, and housing is particularly lacking and expensive up there, even by ski town standards. People definitely tend to live in tight quarters with more people shoved in one space like @Jilly said. Hopefully they are more of an anomaly compared to the other ski towns. I know here in Park City we are one of the higher levels than the rest of the state, but I don't think we are anywhere near that level of cases.

Edit: attaching the latest info for Park City. Looks like we are 64 cases per 100k

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 3.12.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 3.12.40 PM.png
    633.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
In Colorado, contact tracing has been happening for months at a pretty reasonable rate in the counties that include ski resorts. This article is from mid-January 2021. Since then the numbers have been decreasing all across the country after the surge probably caused mainly by socializing during the end-of-year holidays.

I and a few friends flew to SLC to ski for almost two weeks in December. We stayed in slopeside condos and ate there for breakfast and dinners. At Alta, I and a ski buddy ate lunch indoors at four different locations where I felt comfortable with the adjustments made to keep employees and guests safe. I'm about to fly to go skiing in Colorado. Having paid attention to the situation in Summit County, I'm comfortable with how ski resorts and ski areas are operating. I and my friends for this trip will be staying in motel rooms with exterior doors this trip, with take out food for dinners.

Jan. 15, Colorado Sun
Climbing coronavirus cases in Colorado’s high country aren’t tracking back to ski resorts
Health officials in eight counties have not traced positive tests back to lift lines, chairlifts or ski slopes.
https://coloradosun.com/2021/01/15/...igh-country-not-tracking-back-to-ski-resorts/
" . . .
“It’s not the activity of skiing that is the risk but all the things that go along with it,” said Lindsey Mills, a spokeswoman for San Miguel County.

San Miguel County has seen an increase in visitors testing positive for COVID-19, but the county’s epidemiological team has not tracked transmission back to the slopes, lines or chairlifts at Telluride ski area. But post-ski socializing, that’s a problem.

“When your guard is let down with alcohol that is where we are seeing spread,” Mills said.

That’s the refrain across the high country as public health directors brace for a possible surge in cases after the busy December holiday. Cases may be climbing — a New Year’s Eve party in Aspen boosted Pitkin County’s case count by nine, for example — but contact tracing tends to find transmission indoors. And controlling vacationers in private homes is virtually impossible, leaving health officials screaming themselves hoarse over safety protocols and imposing ever-restricting rules on businesses.
. . ."

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

kiki

Angel Diva
Thing in WB are heating up:
Per today’s news: “In just five days, from Jan. 26 to Feb. 02, the community recorded 259 cases, nearly matching the 271 cases confirmed in Whistler in all of 2020.”
”Health officials revealed on Friday that the community had recorded 547 known cases of the virus between Jan. 1 and Feb. 2”

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's definitely a sampling of the rest of the country, ski towns in particular. When I read that their case counts include the new UK variant, I felt a pit in my stomach. We were just there yesterday. We ate a very early breakfast inside the Mangy Moose with two other parties in the whole place, and ate a quick grab n go sandwich up higher on the mountain, inside, with a lot more people. I literally have dined out three times since last March, but this past week on our trip, we dined out more than once per day on several occasions. Why? Because you can't just park your car next to the slopes at these giant resorts and go back and grab a packed lunch, and packing the pockets with enough food is a major pain in the butt. We let our guard down, I think partly because we are SO tired of having to be overly prepared all the time. We did get grocery store food in Driggs where we cooked in the condo we were staying at. The resorts were incredibly busy, including inside the shops, etc. Big Sky in particular was a zoo. I'm counting the days, hoping to stay well...grateful to be back at my little home hill where I can park next to the slopes and pack snacks in the car. Even though we're ridiculously busy here, too, I can easily avoid the lodges except to go potty.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It's definitely a sampling of the rest of the country, ski towns in particular. When I read that their case counts include the new UK variant, I felt a pit in my stomach. We were just there yesterday. We ate a very early breakfast inside the Mangy Moose with two other parties in the whole place, and ate a quick grab n go sandwich up higher on the mountain, inside, with a lot more people. I literally have dined out three times since last March, but this past week on our trip, we dined out more than once per day on several occasions. Why? Because you can't just park your car next to the slopes at these giant resorts and go back and grab a packed lunch, and packing the pockets with enough food is a major pain in the butt. We let our guard down, I think partly because we are SO tired of having to be overly prepared all the time. We did get grocery store food in Driggs where we cooked in the condo we were staying at. The resorts were incredibly busy, including inside the shops, etc. Big Sky in particular was a zoo. I'm counting the days, hoping to stay well...grateful to be back at my little home hill where I can park next to the slopes and pack snacks in the car. Even though we're ridiculously busy here, too, I can easily avoid the lodges except to go potty.

We have had the UK variant confirmed in MA for a bit now (I assume elsewhere in New England as well, but I haven't kept up on those details), so we've started double masking for any indoor necessities like grocery shopping/pharmacy/doctor appt./etc. For those types of things I either wear a disposable surgical mask under a cloth mask or a KN95 under a cloth mask, depending on the place I have to go and how long I'll be there. This is guidance that's been coming out, apparently doubling up with different types of masks can help trap virus particles better because it makes a sort of "maze" for them to get through. I haven't changed my face covering strategy for skiing as I still feel fine outside and don't need to use facilities at the mountain.

It is definitely easier to keep up all of your precautions at your home mountain, but it sounds like your risk was still kept to a minimum. Try not to stress!

newboots

Angel Diva
This is guidance that's been coming out, apparently doubling up with different types of masks can help trap virus particles better because it makes a sort of "maze" for them to get through.

I've also read that wearing a cloth mask on top reduces or eliminates the gap that surgical and various 95s usually leave on the sides of the face, except when professionally fitted. Seriously, for a job I'm looking at they provide the opportunity to visit the hospital specifically for a fitting! I imagine it's training for fitting as well as "a fitting." I'm certain most of us aren't doing it right, so the cloth mask over the other one should make a big difference.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've also read that wearing a cloth mask on top reduces or eliminates the gap that surgical and various 95s usually leave on the sides of the face, except when professionally fitted. Seriously, for a job I'm looking at they provide the opportunity to visit the hospital specifically for a fitting! I imagine it's training for fitting as well as "a fitting." I'm certain most of us aren't doing it right, so the cloth mask over the other one should make a big difference.

Absolutely!

A little different, but I worked in a power plant as an environmental chemist at one point and we had to wear respirators for certain tasks where you could be exposed to hazardous chemicals in the air. We had to go through a whole fitting process (and training) to ensure the appropriate seal was achieved with every use. In those cases, anyone who had to use a respirator regularly couldn't even have any facial hair because it wasn't possible to get an appropriate seal if you did, lots of grumbling from the men there..

Masks are a breeze compared to respirators.. The one I had made me so claustrophobic and wasn't the least bit easy to get on/off!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna