• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

ACL Surgery with Patella Tendon? Help!

altagirl

Staff member
Oh mine always felt MUCH worse after ACL surgery. I generally felt good enough that it was near normal right before (unless I was pivoting on the knee). And then it was worse than ever for 6 weeks or so. Normal.

As far as mobility goes, stick with your PT exercises religiously.

HellaRuby

Certified Ski Diva
Oh mine always felt MUCH worse after ACL surgery. I generally felt good enough that it was near normal right before (unless I was pivoting on the knee). And then it was worse than ever for 6 weeks or so. Normal.

As far as mobility goes, stick with your PT exercises religiously.

Oh thank you Altagirl! That makes me feel so much better to hear! I am quite devoted to my PT. 3x a day like clockwork and I walk as much as possible. I just got the go ahead for 2lb ankle weights so added those to the mix. But yes, I felt almost back to normal right before surgery and now pretty lousy, I was thinking something was WRONG. I thought this was supposed to improve, at least a bit right away. but I guess this is normal. Thank you for settling my nerves. I guess I am just nervous about possibly ruining the meniscus repair but I really have no control over the outcome so worrying is wasted energy.

Thanks again :smile:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, when I had my second knee surgery, I was sedated and had an epidural. And I woke up from the sedation while on the operating table as they were shoving my leg back and forth, with my entire body moving head to toe on the table (I actually asked the anesthesiologist what they were doing, and he answered and then quickly turned up the dial). All a way of saying, your knee gets really beaten up during the procedure, even though it's arthroscopic, and there is no possible way that it's supposed to be back to normal right after surgery. And because you had a patellar autograft, you've had two procedures to your knee.

Hang in there. Everyone heals differently, and don't beat yourself up for not meeting expectations that you created in your head. :smile:

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Listen to your own body and voice to therapist or doctor what you're feeling. Everyone is different. It something feels like it's too much, say so!

HellaRuby

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you ladies! So great having others who have BTDT that can share your experience with me. When I went to PT today I did let my therapist know my concerns and he at least told for exactly 3 weeks out I am right on point and not to worry too much. Keep doing what I am doing at home as I am progressing. He knows how important getting back to full mobility is for me. We joke about how my family literally threw me to the wolves 3-4 days post surgery and I had no choice but to progress.

HellaRuby

Certified Ski Diva
Almost 8 weeks post surgery and my knee feels about 75% as good as it did pre-surgery - NOT preinjury - but at least as good as it did in the weeks right before I had the surgery. Thank you ladies for the reassurance that I had to get over the hump! I am somewhat concerned as I still have that gummed up feeling in the meniscus area but my PT thinks its still postop swelling which apparently will take some time to go away? I am just happy that I haven't had to be on crutches since week 1 and no brace since the end of week 2. Progress has been amazing. The work as been hard and it seems I live on my stationary bike. I guess the real test is whether or not I am skiing in December...time will tell.

What other excercises helped get back on track? Yoga? Barre? Pilates? Thinking of adding something else to the mix to get things moving even further. Would like to know what worked for other Diva's.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How did I miss this? My surgery is next Friday. I'm so glad it's going well for you.

HellaRuby

Certified Ski Diva
How did I miss this? My surgery is next Friday. I'm so glad it's going well for you.

LOL! I don't post daily. I think the last time was around week 2 or 3! With the kids & sports schedules (and DH and HIS sports) taking care of the house the dog, I don't get much time for myself. So when I do get on the PC its usually to SHOP ------ Did I mention I also love to buy ski clothes? But that a whole other issue.

So you are going in next Friday? I am sure you must be feeling some nerves. I know I was! I need to read up on your post so I don't ask you a hundred questions you probably already posted about. I will say that I am glad I ended up going with the donor hamstring allograft instead of the patellar tendon autograft. Based on what I have heard about recovery for me personally and having basically zero help after about 3 days I never would have made it with the more complicated surgery. (Like ACL replacement and meniscus repair wasn't bad enough). But I will say - stay ahead of the pain, take the meds as RX'd for the first few days, as soon as I got even a little behind it was really hard to "catch up", ice like its a job, and do the PT at home as soon a humanly possible. And this does mean Day 1. As excruciating as that sounds and it may just mean wiggling toes or pumping your ankles. And if you actually have someone to HELP you at home you are probably golden!

Off to read your posts :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL! I don't post daily. I think the last time was around week 2 or 3! With the kids & sports schedules (and DH and HIS sports) taking care of the house the dog, I don't get much time for myself. So when I do get on the PC its usually to SHOP ------ Did I mention I also love to buy ski clothes? But that a whole other issue.

So you are going in next Friday? I am sure you must be feeling some nerves. I know I was! I need to read up on your post so I don't ask you a hundred questions you probably already posted about. I will say that I am glad I ended up going with the donor hamstring allograft instead of the patellar tendon autograft. Based on what I have heard about recovery for me personally and having basically zero help after about 3 days I never would have made it with the more complicated surgery. (Like ACL replacement and meniscus repair wasn't bad enough). But I will say - stay ahead of the pain, take the meds as RX'd for the first few days, as soon as I got even a little behind it was really hard to "catch up", ice like its a job, and do the PT at home as soon a humanly possible. And this does mean Day 1. As excruciating as that sounds and it may just mean wiggling toes or pumping your ankles. And if you actually have someone to HELP you at home you are probably golden!

Off to read your posts :smile:

Yup, next Friday. I'm mostly feeling tired and just want this OVER with. It's annoying to do all this PT and feel like I will be starting from scratch as soon as I have the surgery. I know it's really important; that's just how it feels. I think there are nerves deep down, but I haven't really connected with my feelings yet.

I have waffled back and forth but have definitely chosen the patellar autograft. I'm an aggressive skier and also still pushing myself in other sports, and it just seems like most people agree that it is the strongest. And my doc likes autograft because donor has a chance of the tissue not being accepted. Also he can cut the tendon to exactly the length he wants, whereas donor patellar tendons are cut to predetermined sizes. He did give me the pros and cons of the different types and did present hamstring as an option - I would just have to find a different doc who actually does them.

I expect the recovery to be painful, but I have a lot of lifestyle advantages here. I'm already planning to take two weeks unpaid, or more if necessary, after the surgery. I did the same after the initial injury because the pain was so bad from the bone bruising. We are DINKs. Around the house a lot is taken care of - we have a house cleaner every two weeks and actually a personal chef who comes in once a week and provisions us with healthy food. (We started this because I was actually scheduled to get foot surgeries over the summer - I injured my knee the week before I was going to get surgery.) My parents are going to be here the first few days after the surgery, and DH's parents are coming a week after that for a week. So I have the luxury of being able to really focus on my PT and self care. My insurance also allows unlimited PT visits, which is another huge luxury. When I go back to work, I can work from home as much as I want, really - that's what I'm mostly doing right now, because sitting with my leg hanging is clearly worse than sitting even in a recliner. I can't quite pull off heart below knee and actually work, but even the recliner helps a lot.

I do need to be careful because I can't take oral NSAIDs, so my swelling will be less controlled than for the typical patient.

I think the pain will be on par with the initial injury; possibly less. I was taking 10mg of straight oxy every 4 hours, and the last hour was sometimes a real clock-watching stretch. That bone bruise was crazy painful. It doesn't sound like your initial injury was nearly as debilitating. I could not imagine skiing even now, four weeks out.

HellaRuby

Certified Ski Diva
Yup, next Friday. I'm mostly feeling tired and just want this OVER with. It's annoying to do all this PT and feel like I will be starting from scratch as soon as I have the surgery. I know it's really important; that's just how it feels. I think there are nerves deep down, but I haven't really connected with my feelings yet.

I have waffled back and forth but have definitely chosen the patellar autograft. I'm an aggressive skier and also still pushing myself in other sports, and it just seems like most people agree that it is the strongest. And my doc likes autograft because donor has a chance of the tissue not being accepted. Also he can cut the tendon to exactly the length he wants, whereas donor patellar tendons are cut to predetermined sizes. He did give me the pros and cons of the different types and did present hamstring as an option - I would just have to find a different doc who actually does them.

I expect the recovery to be painful, but I have a lot of lifestyle advantages here. I'm already planning to take two weeks unpaid, or more if necessary, after the surgery. I did the same after the initial injury because the pain was so bad from the bone bruising. We are DINKs. Around the house a lot is taken care of - we have a house cleaner every two weeks and actually a personal chef who comes in once a week and provisions us with healthy food. (We started this because I was actually scheduled to get foot surgeries over the summer - I injured my knee the week before I was going to get surgery.) My parents are going to be here the first few days after the surgery, and DH's parents are coming a week after that for a week. So I have the luxury of being able to really focus on my PT and self care. My insurance also allows unlimited PT visits, which is another huge luxury. When I go back to work, I can work from home as much as I want, really - that's what I'm mostly doing right now, because sitting with my leg hanging is clearly worse than sitting even in a recliner. I can't quite pull off heart below knee and actually work, but even the recliner helps a lot.

I do need to be careful because I can't take oral NSAIDs, so my swelling will be less controlled than for the typical patient.

I think the pain will be on par with the initial injury; possibly less. I was taking 10mg of straight oxy every 4 hours, and the last hour was sometimes a real clock-watching stretch. That bone bruise was crazy painful. It doesn't sound like your initial injury was nearly as debilitating. I could not imagine skiing even now, four weeks out.

Well with all that help you will be fine :smile: I wish I could have even 1/3 of that but my DH is old school Portuguese and doesn't believe in housekeepers/outside help! The wife does it all you know LOL I swear on Day 5 was up cooking dinner after my PT appointment. I would have done just about anything I think for a chef for a week or even delivery Pizza for a few more days :0)

What I was most unprepared for was the mental exhaustion of the injury. Being injured, the length of time to heal, the amount of PT, the physical limitations. And yes, the depression. I am still so depressed as this has been going on now for 4 months (1/29). And it feels like no end in sight ( I have to tell myself there is an end in sight but some days its hard) So on the real bad days was when I came on and asked a few questions and luckily fellow diva's perked me up.

Good luck!!! I will be keeping an eye on your post :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna