• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

ACL Avulsion fracture

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, TheSkiDiva had a role in finding this doctor.

Skinnyfootskis started a conversation with me asking for info for her upcoming Killington visit. As the conversation continued, we discovered that we had a lot in common off the slopes, including that she lives in CT. I moved to CT last year!

When I got hurt, she recommended her orthopedist, whose office just a few miles down the road from me.

We met in person for the first time at my house after my accident. She brought me homemade soup, a Sudoku book, and things to read. Our short visit lasted for several hours. Such fun making new friends.

Once again, TheSkiDiva reaches far beyond the slopes for sisterhood and friendship.

You warmed my heart and made my day.

My work here is done.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Actually, TheSkiDiva had a role in finding this doctor.

Skinnyfootskis started a conversation with me asking for info for her upcoming Killington visit. As the conversation continued, we discovered that we had a lot in common off the slopes, including that she lives in CT. I moved to CT last year!

When I got hurt, she recommended her orthopedist, whose office just a few miles down the road from me.

We met in person for the first time at my house after my accident. She brought me homemade soup, a Sudoku book, and things to read. Our short visit lasted for several hours. Such fun making new friends.

Once again, TheSkiDiva reaches far beyond the slopes for sisterhood and friendship.
I totally agree vicki, SKI DIVA is an awesome site to learn, make new friends and do research. I'm looking forward to skiing with you next year.
See you soon.

Jazza

Certified Ski Diva
54th season of skiing and my first ever season-ending injury.

I refuse to surrender.

This was a freak accident. Bluebird day. Soft snow. I was heading down a narrow (12’ wide) bump run. A tree branch had fallen across the trail and everyone had gone around it, causing a deep rut. I misjudged the bump and somehow got into the ruts everyone else made. I got kicked backwards, or I maybe I leaned back. I tried to jackknife myself forward, but I didn't have enough time. I hit the uphill side of the bump and the snow pushed my skis to the right. That move, with a full knee bend, and something had to give. I really thought ACL when I heard the pop. (my skis were parallel and the bindings did not release)

My friend helped me take off my skis. She called the emergency number for a ski patroller sled, set her skis up as a warning to other skiers and we waited.

I took the Ride of Shame. Props to Killington Ski Patrol, the guy was so skilled taking me down the steep, bumped run.

I went to the on-hill emergency clinic. It was a good choice, IMO. It wasn’t busy and these folks treat knees and shoulders every day. I liked the doctor and the staff was kind. The initial diagnosis was a tibial plateau fracture.

CT at my orthopedist later showed that the tibial plateau was depressed but not broken. I was told that the Tibial Plateau is like styrofoam and the depression is like pushing your thumb into the styrofoam.

The avulsion is a piece of bone that attaches the ACL to the tibia. It is displaced 6mm.

The initial treatment plan is immobilization in a knee brace. Surgery is not indicated.

Anyone else? I would love to hear your experiences.
Sorry to hear this happened to you! Sounds like you received quick and great treatment. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery so you can back on the snow.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had my first PT today. Weight bearing as tolerated. Close to 90* flex, but I still can’t straighten it without pain.

This my first experience with kinesiology tape. The PT wanted to see if it would reduce swelling.

Any experiences With the tape you would like to share?

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used KT tape after ACL reconstruction. Helped a lot with healing the bruises. Something about helping circulation. You could very clearly see that the areas with tape were healing faster. Pics attached

Attachments

• D821A7C6-B408-4C6E-B6E1-C37836052319.jpeg
    D821A7C6-B408-4C6E-B6E1-C37836052319.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 12

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used KT tape after ACL reconstruction. Helped a lot with healing the bruises. Something about helping circulation. You could very clearly see that the areas with tape were healing faster. Pics attached

That’s amazing! I don’t have visible bruising, but I have considerable swelling. Also some knots under the skin that he was massaging out with a metal tool today. This is interesting stuff.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That’s amazing! I don’t have visible bruising, but I have considerable swelling. Also some knots under the skin that he was massaging out with a metal tool today. This is interesting stuff.

Definitely interesting stuff. I learned so much after my injuries. Hope PT gets you back on your feet as soon as possible.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Gravston......I love it. I do that and cupping.
Maybe you will be better by the time I see you again ;0

Freetoski

Diva in Training
Oof, sorry your season ended so ugly. Is the treatment also non-weight bearing?

I had a proximal tibia fracture ... crutches and full-length brace for 6 weeks, then test to see if the ACL was shot. That was the hardest part -- going thru 6 weeks to see if I got sent back to GO. Fortunately, my ACL tested strong, though the MRI showed damage. I was advised to wear a brace for skiing, just to keep what ACL I have.
hi- I was reading through this post because I’m now in a quandary about if I should get my partial tear ACL (3/4 torn )fixed or not. I’m quite stable on my feet and have been in PT and brace 6 weeks to heal complete tear of MCL. i saw dr today and he basically said it’s up to me if I want to or not??!!
How has your held up without surgery? I’ve read through the one thread on here where she did not have surgery and did just fine. I have twin 6 year old boys and I just don’t know what option to pick!! Thanks for any insight.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The MRI was not conclusive regarding how much ACL I have left, just that it was damaged to some extent. After the fracture healed, he tested both knees manually. The injured side tested as strong as the other so there was no call for surgery. I have never had any issues with it. Wearing a hinged brace for skiing -- and only for skiing -- is just a precaution he recommends I take.

Is there any disadvantage to waiting and seeing how your leg performs? 3/4 torn seems like a lot, but @marzNC hasn't been slowed down by not having one at all.

Maybe do some reading about the recovery and rehab involved in ACL surgery. That may help you decide if you want to go that route. It does not sound like an easy process.

To me, it's all about stability and function. If my leg does everything I need it to do, it's fine as-is. If my knee was giving out on me at times, I'm pretty sure I'd opt for surgery. I can't afford to climb up a ladder or a hill and have a knee decide to fail.

If you choose to wait or forgo surgery, will you need to wear a brace for skiing? Is anyone assuming you will just give up activities that your 1/4-ACL can't support?

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
How has your held up without surgery? Thanks for any insight.

I tore my left ACL (completely) two years ago skiing. I decided against surgery (for the time being) but worked on strength to compensate. Last year I was back on skis ok, and this year I am back at what i believe is 100% but as I get older who knows, it might be 90% versus pre-injury. I wear a brace on the knee for skiing, but I can run without one. I may go for surgery at some point but for the moment I am quite ok.

Freetoski

Diva in Training
The MRI was not conclusive regarding how much ACL I have left, just that it was damaged to some extent. After the fracture healed, he tested both knees manually. The injured side tested as strong as the other so there was no call for surgery. I have never had any issues with it. Wearing a hinged brace for skiing -- and only for skiing -- is just a precaution he recommends I take.

Is there any disadvantage to waiting and seeing how your leg performs? 3/4 torn seems like a lot, but @marzNC hasn't been slowed down by not having one at all.

Maybe do some reading about the recovery and rehab involved in ACL surgery. That may help you decide if you want to go that route. It does not sound like an easy process.

To me, it's all about stability and function. If my leg does everything I need it to do, it's fine as-is. If my knee was giving out on me at times, I'm pretty sure I'd opt for surgery. I can't afford to climb up a ladder or a hill and have a knee decide to fail.

If you choose to wait or forgo surgery, will you need to wear a brace for skiing? Is anyone assuming you will just give up activities that your 1/4-ACL can't support?
Thank you! I read marzNC whole blog - it was very helpful. The doctor didn’t say I’d have to give up anything, he Said a brace would help stabilize other ligaments and help take some pressure off ACL. I’m fine to wait but I think I’d want to wait another whole year - I’d rather not miss another leaning year with my boys. Since I’m just coming off MCL tear it’s hard to tell what’s what in my knee!

Freetoski

Diva in Training
I tore my left ACL (completely) two years ago skiing. I decided against surgery (for the time being) but worked on strength to compensate. Last year I was back on skis ok, and this year I am back at what i believe is 100% but as I get older who knows, it might be 90% versus pre-injury. I wear a brace on the knee for skiing, but I can run without one. I may go for surgery at some point but for the moment I am quite ok.
Thank you! im thinking wait and see might be best approach.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hi- I was reading through this post because I’m now in a quandary about if I should get my partial tear ACL (3/4 torn )fixed or not. I’m quite stable on my feet and have been in PT and brace 6 weeks to heal complete tear of MCL. i saw dr today and he basically said it’s up to me if I want to or not??!!
How has your held up without surgery? I’ve read through the one thread on here where she did not have surgery and did just fine. I have twin 6 year old boys and I just don’t know what option to pick!! Thanks for any insight.

I partially tore an ACL, sprained my MCL, and tore some meniscus when I was 15 (so, generally youthful recovery...). I did not get the ACL repaired because at the time, people who weren't pro athletes didn't do ACL reconstructions because it was not done via arthroscope. I did get other stuff done wrt to the meniscus and MCL. I casually skied with a partial ACL for about 12 years until I totally tore the ACL playing soccer and got the ligament reconstructed. No one really told me how much ACL I had left for the 12 years.

Aside from the usual complications from surgery (infection, etc.), success of the procedure depends on your ability to do rehab, which is driven a lot by lifestyle. You might want to chat with your MD to see what "care and feeding" would be required and the length of time to go down one path (surgery) versus the other (no surgery).

If it's helpful to you, I personally have already decided that I do not want any more elective knee surgeries. I'm done.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
im thinking wait and see might be best approach.

It's a tough decision. I don't envy you.

Over the next few months, you'll find out how stable that knee is and whether it is impacting your life. That will probably help you, more than anything else, in deciding whether surgery is the answer for you.

Keep us posted.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Like others have mentioned the recovery period is challenging - but it also gets harder as you age. So while you don’t have to immediately get it fixed, if you do at some point think it will be an eventuality, then it’s kind of a sooner than later kind of thing. Also if you do decide to do it, find the very best surgeon you can- so much of it is art vs science - eg where to drill the holes, how tight to set the new ACL etc and it helps to have someone that has a strict protocol and lots of experience

Freetoski

Diva in Training
Thank you ladies!! I’ve decided to leave it up to the surgery schedule for now. If they can get me in before end of April this year. I’ll do it this year and just have it fixed. If not I will see how it goes and be able to try skiing on it and probably do it next spring. I don’t want to miss another full season of my boys learning. Plus my poor husband trying to keep an eye on two 6 year old boys on the hill!! ive put a lot of thought into it and figured it’s probably best just to have it fixed while I’m 40 instead of later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly