• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Abrupt end to my season.

Skidreamer

Certified Ski Diva
Oh my goodness! This is no good at all. Here's hoping you manage to avoid the surgery. Mixed blessings that it wasn't the knee that was already causing trouble.... Let us know how you progress...

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ouch! Fingers crossed for you - at least it was nearly the end of the season not the start??

Reactions: AJM

MissySki

Angel Diva
Oof that’s no fun.. Hope you heal quickly and can avoid surgery! I didn’t realize one could avoid surgery in this injury, so that’s at least a plus. We sure do see way too much of this injury in skiers.. I feel like I’ve been noticing this a lot more than ACLs the last couple of years!

This happened from hitting the cat track too hard because you didn’t see it? Definitely scares me because I have a really hard time seeing bumps and any variations in the snow when it’s too low light as well. My eyes don’t adjust to that light condition well (and seems to get worse each year), and the mountain I ski at has a lot of it in the afternoons early season.

newboots

Angel Diva
Well, that looks like a sturdy brace! Like everyone, I hope you can avoid the surgery.

My only ride on a sled came after breaking my glasses. I was a pretty new skier and have very poor vision; I didn't trust myself to ski to the bottom of the trail, take the lift up another, and ski down to the lodge without glasses. I also admired the patroller's lovely skiing, and I was proud to say I recognized Falling Leaf even though I'd never skied it myself! Keep up the humor - it helps a lot!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
So Im in this contraption for 6 weeks then another 4 weeks on light duty with lots of rehab.
Ive fractured my Tibial Plateau so fingers crossed it heals and I dont need surgery.View attachment 19262
Holy!

My boyfriend was following me in the whiteout three years ago. I went down and waited for him at the first chair. Waited for 10 min. I knew something was not right. Went up on the chair and went down the same way. I see a patroller standing in a bump area. I knew something was not good. I got closer as it was really blowing and still whiteout. Well, as soon as I got close enough, about 20 ft, I see him sitting in bumps.
As soon as I got there, here comes a toboggan.
Going down RIGHT behind it, I lose them one point because could not see 10ft ahead then.
Anyway, ended up having a surgery next morning.
Broken tibial.
Now, three years later, he is 99% recovered. Skied the following year and ever since.

I am sending you a hug and prayers.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Oof that’s no fun.. Hope you heal quickly and can avoid surgery! I didn’t realize one could avoid surgery in this injury, so that’s at least a plus. We sure do see way too much of this injury in skiers.. I feel like I’ve been noticing this a lot more than ACLs the last couple of years!

This happened from hitting the cat track too hard because you didn’t see it? Definitely scares me because I have a really hard time seeing bumps and any variations in the snow when it’s too low light as well. My eyes don’t adjust to that light condition well (and seems to get worse each year), and the mountain I ski at has a lot of it in the afternoons early season.
Have you tried some high tech goggles?
I have Photochromic goggles as well.
Now days, what they have out there are amazing. You might want to try some.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have same issue as @MissySki . Also have good low light goggles. It's my vision that's the problem. I don't wear glasses when skiing unless I wear my progressive Maui Jim sunglasses (which is NOT a good option unless in Tahoe in the spring.) I need to talk to @DebbieSue more about this as know I can get prescription goggles but can be cost prohibitive as my vision seems to change and get worse as I age......

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So Im in this contraption for 6 weeks then another 4 weeks on light duty with lots of rehab.
Ive fractured my Tibial Plateau so fingers crossed it heals and I dont need surgery.View attachment 19262
My BF had the exact same brace and issue as you. We were skiing at Heavenly after a huge dump and I was in front of him. I peeked over at the first open area (not a run by any means) and saw rocks peeking out here and there and heavy clumps of snow that were tracked up. I opted to go a different way and when I looked up, he was in that nasty bowl I avoided (and also signaled to him not to go that way) in a yard sale. Fast forward, Tibial Plateau fracture, crutches for 60 days, and identical brace to yours. He followed instructions, did PT, and was good as new the next season without surgery.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hope your recovery is smooth and complete, and your patience long during the process. What a bummer.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Fingers crossed that it heals well and quickly. I suffered a tibia plateau fracture some years ago and hoped to avoid surgery. I waited about 3 weeks and I was actually able to walk on it but was told that it was displaced and would not heal properly. The surgeon who ultimately did the surgery gave me h*ll for walking on it.

You OTOH saw an orthopedist immediately and hopefully you will heal without surgery. BTW, I skied (not exactly with medical permission!) about 3 months post surgery. So it is probably not that long a road to being functional no matter what happens.

But still hoping that you can avoid it.

Keep us posted and good luck!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Yup thats pretty much what happened, I hate flat light too but it didnt seem too bad, just enough to mask the traverse line :cry:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got really good goggles but I didnt have my low light lenses in as up until that point it was a super sunny day, the light flattened just as we were getting off the lift and even then it didnt seem too bad, just enough to mask the traverse track.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My BF had the exact same brace and issue as you. We were skiing at Heavenly after a huge dump and I was in front of him. I peeked over at the first open area (not a run by any means) and saw rocks peeking out here and there and heavy clumps of snow that were tracked up. I opted to go a different way and when I looked up, he was in that nasty bowl I avoided (and also signaled to him not to go that way) in a yard sale. Fast forward, Tibial Plateau fracture, crutches for 60 days, and identical brace to yours. He followed instructions, did PT, and was good as new the next season without surgery.
That is so encouraging, I'm going to be a good girl and do everything I'm supposed to so I can get back out next year :ski:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fingers crossed that it heals well and quickly. I suffered a tibia plateau fracture some years ago and hoped to avoid surgery. I waited about 3 weeks and I was actually able to walk on it but was told that it was displaced and would not heal properly. The surgeon who ultimately did the surgery gave me h*ll for walking on it.

You OTOH saw an orthopedist immediately and hopefully you will heal without surgery. BTW, I skied (not exactly with medical permission!) about 3 months post surgery. So it is probably not that long a road to being functional no matter what happens.

But still hoping that you can avoid it.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Thank you:love:, yes we have a fabulous emergency health system over here and its all paid for by ACC thank goodness !!! I have another appointment in a weeks time and they will re scan it and see whats happening. x

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna