• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

About posting deals on Ebay.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
As many of you know, we all like a good deal. That's the main reason we started our Hot Gear Deals section where Divas can post about any great deals they'd like to share. However, starting today we're changing our policy: only deals by reputable ski retailers can be posted: Backcountry.com, Altrec, SierraSki, and the like are fine. Ebay auctions and "buy it now" offers will no longer be permitted.

There are a couple reasons for this:

1) Some sellers on ebay are questionable, and we have no way of weeding out the good from the bad. Some dealers -- and I emphasize some -- use ebay to unload counterfeit or ill-gotten merchandise, and we don't want to be a part of it. All the same, if you want to buy things there, that's fine. We just don't want to publicize sales here, since we don't know who's reputable and who's not;

2) Publicizing an auction may prevent a Diva from winning a product she's trying to bid on, since it'll increase competition.

Hope you understand. If you have any questions or problems with this, please send me a PM.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2) Publicizing an auction may prevent a Diva from winning a product she's trying to bid on, since it'll increase competition.

Hope you understand. If you have any questions or problems with this, please send me a PM.
Awesome. Thanks SD!!

DanniAB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1) Some sellers on ebay are questionable, and we have no way of weeding out the good from the bad. Some dealers -- and I emphasize some -- use ebay to unload counterfeit or ill-gotten merchandise,

There were so many amazing deals on eBay when I was shopping for my skis recently. In fact, many of these deals seemed too good to be true! Some of those prices for new skis just can't be real and I was wondering if they were counterfeits made of plywood or something... I steered way clear of eBay and bought locally even though I paid a bit more, it wasn't a "shady" purchase.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I got a shady deal once as the guy was shut down after I bought. The skis were real and serial numbered, but something tells me they were either stolen or bought on a pro form. I've been more careful in the interim.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have replaced broken china numerous times at prices far below what it costs to do it at any discontinued china shop online. Consequently, I still have a full set of my "everyday" china I got when we were married 36 years ago.

I've bought "wurzelgeists" (carved tree spirits) at prices a third of what they are available for locally. (The house is a chalet.)

I've bought new leather handbags that were gorgeous and exactly what I was looking for in name brands that were discontinued models.

In short, I've been shopping on eBay for years. But only for things you bid for, only with people with good feedback over an extended time (well, aside from those skis) and only people who take Pay Pal. Had to return one item, damaged in transit, and got the full expense back. Had one item that was "not as described", but knew about the category and what it was before I bid. Still gave them a hard time about it, but kept the item because I knew what it was and bid accordingly.

But there are definitely risks.

abc

Banned
I've bought stuff at eBay but none are "amazing" deals. More of items that are hard to find, often used.

For brand spanking new stuff, even previous year model, I more often find them (using google) in traditional retailers' online store for similar discount. I trust those store more than individual sellers so I usually buy them from those.

In fact, I never quite figure out some of those eBay sellers who are individuals selling a whole lot of items. Where on earth did they get the goods in order to sell at such deep discount?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
There was a ebay seller calling himself The North Face complete with 800# and all. Needless to say, NOT TNF.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly