• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

A skier's COVID experience

MissySki

Angel Diva
It’s so disconcerting to hear the utter failure of a contact tracing system being employed (they gathered information, but then didn’t bother to follow up with those people??) as well as the false information given out on the case to the public.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Disturbing situation on so many levels--but it honestly does not surprise me, given my own (non-covid) experiences and observations regarding family members, of the medical system at work (as far as communication etc).

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing this extremely interesting, but disturbing, account. It really sounds like the public health system, though well intentioned, still has a long way to go in protecting everyone from this disease.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have not had a chance to read carefully, but I did note the dates. The article was published on April 16. Symptoms started in late February. Fair to say that the situation has changed a lot in all states even since the beginning of April. Testing is still low but much better than a month ago in most states. However, that's not to say there aren't still major issues with contact tracing and testing in many areas.

More than one state is in the process of hiring and training several hundred people specifically for contact tracing. It's an evolving process.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Unfortunately, the experience of the Pharmacy professor in early March was happening in many places in the U.S. because testing was being limited to people with travel histories to just a few countries. Lots of reasons, but bottom line is that there wasn't enough testing or guidance for local jurisdictions based on the experience in Asia and Europe in January and February. COVID-19 isn't like SARS or MERS at all because it's so infectious when someone has no symptoms or such mild symptoms that they are not likely to think it's anything but a cold or seasonal flu. Those coronaviruses didn't have much impact in N. America, but were deadly in other regions of the world.

The situation is improving weekly, if not daily. But it's going to be a long summer.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For a few other first-hand reports by skiers, here's a thread that was started by a 40-something woman in NY. She and her SO were sick in March. Both recovered at home, as did two other families in other states who posted in the thread later on.

April 9, TGR
https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/334744-COVID-19-Report
Post #1 is a detailed account for the OP and her SO, he had symptoms first
Post #68 has another first-hand report of a father with wife and son
Post #91 is a male nurse in Alaska, also wife and son who got infected

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but the OP's symptoms sounded pretty familiar to what I had. Thanks for sharing.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but the OP's symptoms sounded pretty familiar to what I had. Thanks for sharing.
And you got sick after returning from Vail, right?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got sick on the last day. BF started having symptoms a couple days later.

We later found out that our condo-mates both got sick too, him after the trip, and maybe she started having symptoms during the trip, not sure. Also found out that their friend was hospitalized for CV-19. Hence my suspicious attitude about whether my testing was accurate. :eek:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

We later found out that our condo-mates both got sick too, him after the trip, and maybe she started having symptoms during the trip, not sure. Also found out that their friend was hospitalized for CV-19. Hence my suspicious attitude about whether my testing was accurate. :eek:
And you were tested specifically for Covid 19, right?

marzNC

Angel Diva

It's even more complicated to have an idea about the possible level of false positives even for a PCR test now that there have been so many emergency approvals by the FDA. Here are a couple articles related to false negatives. Under normal circumstances the goal is to be able to show the a given test process produces the correct result 95% of the time. No test process is every 100% accurate.

April 13, Healthline
‘False Negatives’ in COVID-19 Testing: If You Have Symptoms, Assume You Have the Disease
https://www.healthline.com/health-n...ovid19-tests-symptoms-assume-you-have-illness

April 21, The Scientist
False Negatives in Quick COVID-19 Test Near 15 Percent: Study
https://www.the-scientist.com/news-...ick-covid-19-test-near-15-percent-study-67451

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's my understanding--I specifically asked that and they said yes, @santacruz skier . It was 2 swabs, throat and nasal, administered at the ER department. I got a negative result in 3 days. Several days later, I got a call from the hospital saying that one of the swabs was inconclusive or invalid (I think the nasal), something went wrong with analysis or handling, but that the other one was negative.

I found out about the condo-mates and their friend afterward.

I got an antibody (IgG) blood draw yesterday, I'll get the results next week Wednesday.

On one hand, I think I have good reason to suspect I'm positive for COVID-19....or maybe it was a bad cold/flu with the same symptoms.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It's even more complicated to have an idea about the possible level of false positives even for a PCR test now that there have been so many emergency approvals by the FDA. Here are a couple articles related to false negatives. Under normal circumstances the goal is to be able to show the a given test process produces the correct result 95% of the time. No test process is every 100% accurate.

April 13, Healthline
‘False Negatives’ in COVID-19 Testing: If You Have Symptoms, Assume You Have the Disease
https://www.healthline.com/health-n...ovid19-tests-symptoms-assume-you-have-illness

April 21, The Scientist
False Negatives in Quick COVID-19 Test Near 15 Percent: Study
https://www.the-scientist.com/news-...ick-covid-19-test-near-15-percent-study-67451

We were just having this discussion about the antibody tests as well. With the FDA not able to take the time to rigorously review this stuff, it’s hard to know how confident to be in any of it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
That's my understanding--I specifically asked that and they said yes, @santacruz skier . It was 2 swabs, throat and nasal, administered at the ER department. I got a negative result in 3 days. Several days later, I got a call from the hospital saying that one of the swabs was inconclusive or invalid (I think the nasal), something went wrong with analysis or handling, but that the other one was negative.

I found out about the condo-mates and their friend afterward.

I got an antibody (IgG) blood draw yesterday, I'll get the results next week Wednesday.

On one hand, I think I have good reason to suspect I'm positive for COVID-19....or maybe it was a bad cold/flu with the same symptoms.
That was my next question. Did you get the antibody blood draw.... Well that will be interesting to find out the results.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly