• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

A really important thread about... trucker hats?

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, I live in CO so basically a trucker hat is kind of haute fashion here. That being said, I have a comically small head and most trucker hats look ridiculous on me because they are so large and.... boxy. But I really want one that fits well, and I want a trucker hat for a few reasons beyond the trendiness. 1) the mesh backing really is cooler and 2) The foam front holds its shape better over time (I have a baseball cap that is all shriveled and wrinkly I guess mostly because my head doesn't fill it out well).

Here is my comprehensive review of a few brands that make trucker hats:

Best fit-

Patagonia women's and lo pro trucker hats- very well fitting and a decent amount of design options mostly bearing slogans and geometric designs
Prana women's trucker hat- very well fitting, mostly geometric and brightly colored designs, very "Prana looking" if you know what I mean
Columbia women's trucker hat- seems to no longer be made, I tried on a friends but couldn't find it on their website

Mediocre fit-

Pistil women's trucker- sadly, too much room in the cap area but some really cute designs
Big Truck women's- roomy in the head but lots of fun designs including some ski specific ones

Worst fit-

Sunday Afternoon- my favorite designs but sadly they don't offer a women's fit so all of the hats looked ridiculous

So, anyone have any brands to add that I should check out? As of now I'm between the Patagonia and Prana.

THIS IS A REALLY IMPORTANT DISCUSSION, GUYS

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My daughter has a Patagonia trucker hat that looks really good on her. I don't know if she has a small head, but she's quite petite and has a small face. I have a Pistil trucker hat, which I bought at Yosemite last summer when I went camping and forgot my hat. It looks ridiculously big and the brim is just too flat.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL REALLY IMPORTANT DISCUSSION!!!!

Not sure if you have considered kids hats but here is my review. My kids (age 3 and 5) have the Cirque Mountain Apparel Trucker hats from REI. They both wear them adjusted relatively small. I have a small head (size small giro helmet) but these hats don't really fit me right. I can adjust the plastic back to it isn't too tight on my head with 4 of the eyelets snapped in but the hat sits a little high on my head. it doesn't come close enough to my ears for it to feel right.

https://www.rei.com/product/122102/cirque-mountain-apparel-trucker-hat-kids

I'd love a well fitting trucker hat so will be following.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@RachelV - you know what she's needs. She from Colorado too!!

Given that Kim's kid has been a model for the toddler hats, I'm pretty sure that's not the answer.

Is a trucker hat same thing as a baseball cap?

It's a specific form of baseball hat with a huge front and mesh back. (I personally can't stand them, but they seem to be popular.)

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Really, how small is your head.....kid size? Or just petite?

I would say large kid sized. I wear a kid's size L helmet (could wear a woman's XS but my helmet has ROBOTS ON IT). I've actually talked to quite a few women who have the same issue with trucker hats so its a pretty common problem...

Kids hats often have shorter brims, so they can look a bit silly on adults. Not always. I should try some on. @RachelV has a pretty normal sized head and seems to do just fine with unisex trucker hats, so not sure she will be able to weigh in on this 'problem'.... ;)

Edited to add that the issue with fit is not so much the band width, but the volume in the cap. I ordered one of the pRana ones since I could try it on (went shopping at Two Rivers in Frisco and found a plethora of trucker hats to choose from because, again, Colorado) but they didn't have a print I liked so I didn't buy it at the time.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got it, thanks! Julie Mancuso has or had a line of trucker hats. Maybe those fit women better?

Jilly

Staff member
I wondered why RachelV had said she liked the post. No help after that. I don't look all that good in any type of hat.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got it, thanks! Julie Mancuso has or had a line of trucker hats. Maybe those fit women better?

As far as I can tell, she is ambassador for Big Truck a company that specializes in hats out of Tahoe. I tried their women's and it was still a bit boxy for my head. A shame because I love their designs.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, cute designs, but those hats don't fit me well either.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
As far as I can tell, she is ambassador for Big Truck a company that specializes in hats out of Tahoe. I tried their women's and it was still a bit boxy for my head. A shame because I love their designs.

I love the Big Truck designs but their hats are HUGE. I have a normal sized head and they look enormous on me.

Sandrine

Diva in Training
I wear a lot of flat brim caps and found that the '47 ones are the only ones that look good on me, because the brim isn't as wide. Maybe they do trucker hats?

zoomamyd

Angel Diva
This thread resonates with me! I've struggled to find one too, and I live in CO, so I get it!

I'm wearing a Patagonia one as I type this, but I also love Oiselle's "Runner Trucker" for running, hiking, and even just around town. Its design is really well thought out and the fit is perfect. Here's a link to it on Oiselle's website.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna