• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

A bucket list for Intermediates? Recommendations wanted

marzNC

Angel Diva
Liftopia just started a 3-part series about bucket list destination resorts. From the first installment, it’s clear the target audience is aggressive advanced or expert skiers. Perhaps we can come up with Diva recommendations with a different audience in mind . . .

What would you recommend to add to a bucket list for intermediate skiers of any age or families with kids who are Adv. Beginners/Intermediates? Can be a resort or ski area that also includes challenging terrain for experts, but should have a strong ski school. Destination resorts good for a 4+ day ski vacation should have lodging options at a range of price points. Please include the state where the ski resort/area is located.

Note that my definition of "intermediate" is quite broad. Ranges from cautious intermediates who have no particular interest in ungroomed terrain to aggressive intermediates who are actively working to improve their technique on bumps. I know intermediates who enjoy linking turns on easier black terrain at big mountains in decent snow conditions. Some intermediates only get to ski 5-10 days a season, others are shooting for 25 days or more. My background is that I spent a few decades as an intermediate as a working adult and only became a solid advanced skier after age 50 when I had more time can started skiing more than 15 days a season.

For example, consider Deer Valley in Utah for intermediates and/or families. I haven't skied DV but have read about it a lot recently. Waiting until I qualify for a the senior rate or I decide to get an Ikon pass for some reason.

PROS
* Plenty of beginner and intermediate terrain with excellent grooming and few worries about lift lines
* Lodging options in Park City (free bus), or even lower budget in SLC (45-60 min drive)
* Excellent ski school
* Skiers only

CONS
* Lift tickets are expensive unless the Ikon Pass makes sense
* Ski in/out lodging is expensive
* Lessons are expensive

TRAVEL CONSIDERATIONS
* SLC airport has few issues with winter weather delays
* SLC airport is about an hour away, shuttle options exist
* No rental car needed if staying in Park City or at Deer Valley
* Possible to take day trip to ski at Alta, Solitude, or Brighton (about an hour away)

Feel free to ask questions that come to mind if you are an intermediate with an evolving bucket list. I know my list changed as I started skiing more regularly, even when I was staying mostly on groomers during ski vacations or long weekends.

I’ll probably summarize recommendations some time in the fall.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Destination resorts are out of my financial reach, but I can say that I bought a season pass for Magic Mountain in VT for this coming season because Magic offers a nice progression of trails, both groomed and ungroomed, for intermediates looking to work toward skiing off-trail. One of their green trails has bumps, for example, and they leave many of the blue trails ungroomed. They also offer things like alpine touring clinics in addition to standard instruction. It is my hope that skiing at Magic will significantly improve my ability. It has also a very old-school atmosphere that I enjoy.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Destination resorts are out of my financial reach, but I can say that I bought a season pass for Magic Mountain in VT for this coming season because Magic offers a nice progression of trails, both groomed and ungroomed, for intermediates looking to work toward skiing off-trail. One of their green trails has bumps, for example, and they leave many of the blue trails ungroomed. They also offer things like alpine touring clinics in addition to standard instruction. It is my hope that skiing at Magic will significantly improve my ability. It has also a very old-school atmosphere that I enjoy.
My personal interest goes far beyond destination resorts, especially for intermediates and families. That's one reason I find lists created by media outlets somewhat misleading. The impression that newbies can get is there aren't affordable ways to have fun as an intermediate. I don't believe that's true, especially in regions with small and medium ski areas that don't have big advertising budgets.

What do you think of these pros and cons for Magic?

PROS
* Affordable
* Friendly vibe for all ability levels
* Lack of crowds
* Good terrain for learning to ungroomed terrain and bumps

CONS
* Fixed grip lifts (two being upgraded for 2018-19) on the slow side

TRAVEL CONSIDERATIONS
* Best to have 4WD/AWD and be comfortable on snowy 2-lane VT roads

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Deer Valley has immaculately groomed runs but also has great ungroomed options. Try Birds of Prey for some fun!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna