• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

4 Days in Aspen in March

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are planning on heading to Aspen for 4 days at the end of March. Me, hubby and 9yo daughter. Winter Park is our home mountain and we are all comfortable on double blacks (if I’m honest DD and DH are now faster than me on the really steep stuff like hole in the wall).

We are staying at Avalanche Ranch outside Carbondale- where we’ve stayed in the summer before.

I’d love recommendations for food, ski trails or anything else to check out. DH and I have only skied Highlands and DD was just learning to walk the only time we skied there. So we’re thinking a day at all but Buttermilk then vote on our favorite for the last day. We have downhill biked at Snowmass - which was awesome!

Anything on logistics for driving/ busing in would be great!

We are more into affordable fun than high end luxury.

Help me make this awesome - since DH would never leave Mary Jane if it was up to him!

marzNC

Angel Diva
So we’re thinking a day at all but Buttermilk
If there has been a powder storm a day or two or three before, Buttermilk can be a fun place to find leftovers. Very few people ski off the lift that serves Buttermilk black terrain. Enough pitch for powder turns but might be consider blue at other big mountains.

Anything on logistics for driving/ busing in would be great!
Since there is a direct bus from Buttermilk to Highlands, one option for getting to Highlands is to park at Buttermilk and take that bus. Can park very close to the bus stop. Need to check the schedule. That bus runs every 20-30 min depending on the time of day.

Highlands bus from Buttermilk - 1.jpgHighlands bus from Buttermilk - 2.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
The pizza and giant cookies at Snowmass near the summit poma are worth considering for lunch. A bit crowded so best to go early or late. If visibility is good, can be fun to take the poma up for the view. An easy blue to get down. Closes early, 2:30 I think.

The mid-mountain lodge at Highlands allows outside food. I think there was even a microwave. The free mountain tour leaves from near there.

Can ride the snowcat that heads towards the Highland Bowl just for the view. Then ride back. Stop in the patrol hut to get a demonstration of the straps they sell for carrying skis. Great view from the porch.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can ride the snowcat that heads towards the Highland Bowl just for the view. Then ride back. Stop in the patrol hut to get a demonstration of the straps they sell for carrying skis. Great view from the porch.

Thank you for so much great info!

Is there a reason to take the cat back rather than skiing the bowl? My husband and I have skied it before and DD has skied stuff that I think is harder than it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Is there a reason to take the cat back rather than skiing the bowl? My husband and I have skied it before and DD has skied stuff that I think is harder than it.
Did you do the full hike for Highland Bowl? In that case, go for it. For me, seeing the view was all I was interested in doing the day we were there.

I talked to an instructor who was about to do the hike with two sisters, perhaps ages 9 and 12. She'd been doing full-day lessons with them. I asked her how long it usually takes kids that age to do the hike. She said it varied quite a bit, from 30 to 90 min.

The short hike at Snowmass for Long Shot is worth doing. Get a really long run. But have to allow time to get back to the main base if that's where you want to end up.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
If you like steeps/trees, try Hanging Valley Glades at Snowmass. Also some other good steeps would be front side Aspen (Bell to Bell) and also Walsh's.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna