• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

30L Daypack for both Hiking and Resort Skinning?

yogiskier

Angel Diva
Hi Divas,
I need a new daypack more often used for hiking but also for in-bound skinning (that I plan to get into) and therefore the off-chance that I may need to carry my skis at some point. I'm specifying inbound because I do not want a backcountry-specific ski pack with all of the bells and whistles of an airbag, specific pockets for shovel and probe, etc. Just a pack that I could lash my skis to and I'm not sure what that requires - if the pack has side pockets and compression straps - could I make that work? I was looking online at the Gregory Juno, for example.

As for fit, I know it's just a backpack, but I'm 5'4, 125-130 lbs, average body type...meaning my hips and legs are always too big for skinny jeans, but too small for curvy jeans ;-P

TIA!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier Thanks - I see that there's a 24L! Have you used it hiking in warm weather? Wondering if I'd get sweaty.
Only used in winter but think would be fine in summer. I have a little larger women’s pack for hiking. I get sweaty and always wear wicking fabric. Think mine is a Kelty or Gregory. Can’t remember as have not left town at all this summer... lots of biking with small camelbak.

merrydog

Angel Diva

@santacruz skier have you used this for side/backcountry trips? I was considering this exact pack but my boyfriend is advocating for something bigger. I'd hate to take anything bigger than necessary as I have a short torso, so I'm trying to decide between the 20L vs 24L. It's only 1 inch difference in length but any actual experience would be great input.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier have you used this for side/backcountry trips? I was considering this exact pack but my boyfriend is advocating for something bigger. I'd hate to take anything bigger than necessary as I have a short torso, so I'm trying to decide between the 20L vs 24L. It's only 1 inch difference in length but any actual experience would be great input.
I bought the even smaller Heli pack several years ago. I wanted something small for inbounds hiking only. I'm 5'0" if I stretch. What I have the 11L, which is 20 x 10 x 3 and not available any more.

The 20L is 21 x 12 x 8. The 24L is 22 x 12 x 7. It looks like the dimensions are wrong on Evo. I checked Dakine's website. For me, I know the 24L would be too long. The smallest Heli available is 12L, 20 x 12 x 4.

Bigger is definitely not necessarily better if it doesn't fit well.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I used it in Taos for the first time on a boot pack hike . It was larger than I needed but fit me quite well at 5'1. My BF always uses packs way bigger that I would. But then he's the one with extra everything in his pack and I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to loading backpacks.
forgot to mention that I got both the 12L and 20L and decided to keep the larger one. Think that was BF's influence though.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@yogiskier do you currently have a 8- 10L bag? Because thats all you will need if you are truly inbounds. A small backpack that you can stuff your skins, hydration and snack in that is also easy to deal with on the lifts if you so choose ride them at some point in the day. For an inbounds boot pack it would seem more burdensome to attach skis to a back pack for a 5 min hike. I am assuming you are inbounds to get a work out or test out new boots/ skis/ etc. I use a 10L backpack if I'm skinning for a work out and staying inbounds.

If you are out of bounds / side country then you should have all the necessary safety equipment. 30L sized pack would fit the necessary gear. The Juno could work depending on the strength of the straps and how they are attached to the pack. I'm not a fan of the Dakine bags. The Black Diamond Dawn Patrol 25 or 32 might work for you. I found it to be very comfortable and I'm similar sized.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got both the Dakine 12 and 20l packs and like them both for skiing. The 12l has a better ski carry - not 100% sure why because it's the same set up as the larger pack, just feels more comfortable. The skis swing around more on the 20l. I've found the 12l fine for inbounds - ie when not carrying shovel and probe. The 20l is big enough for the safety gear but it's a bit snug for skins, extra layers, water, and all the other bits and pieces you really need with you for more than just a quick run outside the boundary.

I've hiked with both packs this summer - they do the job but not ideal. The backpacks are designed to stay as close to your back as possible I think - so you've got a nice close fit for skiing. Not exactly what you want for summer hiking; I've not tried a pack that sits off the back but it seems like a grand idea for hot weather!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just remembered - a friend bought what I think was the 24l version of the Dakine backpack and it's way heavier than the 12 or 20l versions. So check the weight if you're thinking of going for that one...

yogiskier

Angel Diva
Thanks for all of the input @WaterGirl @MrsPlow ! Last February I tried an intro backcountry clinic (with @ilovepugs) and afterwards decided I didn't want to get into true backcountry right now but liked the hiking and being in the trees aspect. So, yes - for the workout, slower pace, and coincidentally this year I don't plan on riding lifts, so it's the only way I'll be skiing. I actually have a 15L! The Deuter Speed Lite 15 that I used at last year's bc clinic and you're right, for carrying water, skins, and even stuffing a shell, it was perfect.

I guess I got a bit excited that I "needed" new gear, but in reality what I intend to do this season at whatever hill I'll be at for a couple hours of skiing probably won't be steep enough to need to carry skis. Thanks for the reality check! :smile:

elemmac

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier Thanks - I see that there's a 24L! Have you used it hiking in warm weather? Wondering if I'd get sweaty.

This is definitely the downside of having a winter ski/summer hike pack...winter ski packs generally do not breathe well (they’re built to keep snow and moisture out of them), but summer hike packs don’t have ski specific carry. I own and have owned many many packs (I’m kind of obsessed), and have not found the golden pack for this dual purpose. I found that you have to compromise on something, whether it's breathability or ski-specific features.

Keep in mind the capacity of the bag (liters) does not translate directly to the sizing of a pack (back length). Size the liters to the activity you are doing and how much you need to carry, then find a model that has the sizing you need with that capacity. Many backpack manufactures will make different "sizes" in the same pack (sometimes the liters will go down slightly for the smaller sizes).

For some of the questions about capacity...Here's my winter line-up and what I've found that they work for:
12L (Dakine Heli) - Lift served/on-resort skinning.
Carries: water, snack, extra layer, extra lens, skins.
Thoughts on size: This is the ideal size for inbounds/light sidecountry

18L (Mammut Nirvana) - Sidecountry/Light Backcountry.
Carries: water, snack, extra layer, extra gloves, extra lens, skins, small first aid kit, small tool kit, avy gear.
Thoughts on size: This is perfect for sidecountry where I don't need many/any extra layers, but it's a bit tight when adding extra layers/food to go into the backcountry for longer excursions.

30L (Osprey Kode) - Backcountry/Day trips. Carries: water, snacks, lunch, extra layer, puffy coat/pants, shell, extra gloves, extra lens, skins, first aid kit, avy gear, emergency kit (emergency blanket, tool, headlamp, etc).
Thoughts on size: This is the minimum size I'd consider for day trips (3+ hours) where avy gear is needed. Perfect size for day trips without the avy gear.

65L (Osprey Ariel) - This is my overnight pack. I have skied with it in the past, prior to getting the 30L. It's actually not too bad for a day pack for full backcountry....big, but not too cumbersome.

Final thoughts: When in doubt, err on the big side...You can always use compression straps to make a pack smaller, but it's really annoying trying to find things when your pack is stuffed to the brim. Not to mention how uncomfortable stuffed packs are.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for all of the input @WaterGirl @MrsPlow I actually have a 15L! The Deuter Speed Lite 15 that I used at last year's bc clinic and you're right, for carrying water, skins, and even stuffing a shell, it was perfect.
I guess I got a bit excited that I "needed" new gear, but in reality what I intend to do this season at whatever hill I'll be at for a couple hours of skiing probably won't be steep enough to need to carry skis. Thanks for the reality check! :smile:

I actually use an older 10L Deuter Speed Lite that has a waist strap for inbounds :smile:
Sorry couldn't enable any new purchase for a ski backpack but now you can focus on your summer pack! As an after thought, I really wouldn't want the same type of true 'back pack' /hiking frame for a ski pack -- as others have mentioned the ski pack fits snug to your back.

merrydog

Angel Diva
Thanks for the input from everyone, lots to think about and I think I will keep thinking until I can get into an actual shop to see what the different size packs actually weight and look like.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have one of the Gregory Targhee packs. I like theirs because the hip belt is super beefy and I like to snug that up and they also tend ot have a decent sized hip pocket for my phone. I used mine as my carry on on the way to japan and had my boots in it too.

aliwill

Certified Ski Diva
I have the Dakine Heli 12L women's and just picked up a Heli 20L for about $50 on Steep and Cheap–I found them to be really great packs for the price. (12L looks like it's about the same price on Outland USA)

I used the Heli 12L inbounds last year. I carry a beacon/shovel/probe for sidecountry at the resort—and I'm able to do that in just 12L since the shovel blade fits on the exterior of the pack. (Also usually carry a modest first aid kit, a snack, sunglasses, maybe extra gloves.) Diagonal carry is fine, though I prefer A-frame for longer hikes. I especially like how the pack is very flat, because I hate taking off a pack to ride a lift or being pushed forward. Also a good pack for touring in a closed resort or as a daypack on a multiday trip.

I picked up the 20L because I found myself using that tiny "inbounds" pack more and more, and realized I just needed room for a bit more water and food, and maybe ski crampons, to make it a true daypack. (Though since the shovel blade has to go inside the 20L, I'm doing some experiments with packing before I take the tags off, make sure it really is bigger.)

One note: I really, really wanted a men's color (yellow! red!), but after trying on both the men's and women's versions at evo, I grudgingly admit that the women's-cut straps do fit me better, even though my torso isn't crazy short. More mothereffing teal, sigh.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Considering that this yr will be different, re: no eating indoors, no lockers, no shuttles, etc, I decided that another good Black Friday purchase would be a ski backpack, so I referred back to this thread. I am a petite, 5'0, and I don't do any off-piste or hiking to terrain (yet), so I've narrowed my choices down to the Dakine HeliPro 12L vs the 20L, and the Osprey Kresta 14L. I also looked at the Kulkea Micro Pack, but decided that I wanted something that I could also carry my skis on.

There were lots of good comments about the Dakine packs, but I wondered if anyone had used the Osprey and could compare it to the Dakines. Any comments about the 12L vs the 20L size for a small person would also be appreciated.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There were lots of good comments about the Dakine packs, but I wondered if anyone had used the Osprey and could compare it to the Dakines. Any comments about the 12L vs the 20L size for a small person would also be appreciated.
For resort use, 20L is overkill in my opinion. My favorite small pack is an old 11L by Dakine that was replaced by the 12L.

When I researched a pack a few years ago that could carry skis too, I ended up with the Dakine HeliPro 12L. Can't quite remember why but I think it was because other options in that size category were too long.

As it turns out, when I need to carry skis for a short in-bounds hike what I use most often is the Mountain Goat carry strap. If I'm using my small backpack that day too, I put it in front and use the Mountain Goat for the skis. The Mountain Goat fits in a jacket pocket if I'm somewhere that a pack isn't really necessary, like Alta.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dreamofskiing