• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2024 Gear Preview

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I just noticed the 2024 gear preview on SkiTalk. I see Stockli will be adding an AS and AW women's ski to fill the AX hole in shorter lengths. Tentatively excited as I had been interested in the AX's before the change to Montero.

@Susan L where did you get your hands on that early catalog last year (or the year before)? Anyone have the scoop on sizes and more details??

coldthrill

Angel Diva
I just noticed the 2024 gear preview on SkiTalk. I see Stockli will be adding an AS and AW women's ski to fill the AX hole in shorter lengths. Tentatively excited as I had been interested in the AX's before the change to Montero.

@Susan L where did you get your hands on that early catalog last year (or the year before)? Anyone have the scoop on sizes and more details??
Here you go! Just found this while looking after @contesstant mentioned the new skis:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied the Montero AW today in a 158. Very little rocker, slightly turned up and quite square tail. They were awesome! I stayed on the groomers since the light was really flat and off piste has set up weird. The tails finish really strongly and they are very quick skis!

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
Sorry you weren’t able to try the other items on your wish list. You’ve skied the Nela 80 as well I think? Did you notice a change in construction on the AW if so?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry you weren’t able to try the other items on your wish list. You’ve skied the Nela 80 as well I think? Did you notice a change in construction on the AW if so?
I haven't skied the Nela 80. I liked the AW better than my Nela 88s :eek: But, I keep gravitating towards narrower skis as I just find them to be so much more fun in most conditions.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied the Montero AW today in a 158. Very little rocker, slightly turned up and quite square tail. They were awesome! I stayed on the groomers since the light was really flat and off piste has set up weird. The tails finish really strongly and they are very quick skis!
Stockli describes the Montero AW as a replacement for the Nela 80. I'm wondering how they compare in terms of performance. I just got a used pair of Nela 80's and they've been fun in truly crappy conditions. Slush piles, eastern ice, and thin cover conditions were no problem for the Nela's. I hope Stockli hasn't given up on a ski in this style.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stockli describes the Montero AW as a replacement for the Nela 80. I'm wondering how they compare in terms of performance. I just got a used pair of Nela 80's and they've been fun in truly crappy conditions. Slush piles, eastern ice, and thin cover conditions were no problem for the Nela's. I hope Stockli hasn't given up on a ski in this style.
I think the Nela 80 was a more easy going ski--rounder tail, for one. The AW has a square tail and so is probably a bit more "serious" in nature.

coldthrill

Angel Diva
I haven't skied the Nela 80. I liked the AW better than my Nela 88s :eek: But, I keep gravitating towards narrower skis as I just find them to be so much more fun in most conditions.
I stumbled upon a Stockli demo day on Sunday and got to try the AW as well. It was so fun, and yet also a far more serious ski than the Nela 80. It was precise, responsive and quick edge to edge. I would love to try the Montero AS also; I wonder why the AW is 80mm and the AS 76mm. More choice, I guess. The ski that I cannot get out of my mind since demoing it is the Laser SL. The only size they had was a 165 (my height) and I still loved it. It's everything I love about the SC only more so. (And no, I can't believe I'm saying that either.) Definitely demo if you can!

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I stumbled upon a Stockli demo day on Sunday and got to try the AW as well. It was so fun, and yet also a far more serious ski than the Nela 80. It was precise, responsive and quick edge to edge. I would love to try the Montero AS also; I wonder why the AW is 80mm and the AS 76mm. More choice, I guess. The ski that I cannot get out of my mind since demoing it is the Laser SL. The only size they had was a 165 (my height) and I still loved it. It's everything I love about the SC only more so. (And no, I can't believe I'm saying that either.) Definitely demo if you can!
I‘m so jealous of these demo days! I was in Taos and had hoped Lé Ski Mastery would have them to demo, but no luck. I did take out the MX and talked skis with my instructor. I‘m hoping The Boot Pro in Ludlow, VT will have them as demos next winter. Such a long wait!

coldthrill

Angel Diva
I‘m so jealous of these demo days! I was in Taos and had hoped Lé Ski Mastery would have them to demo, but no luck. I did take out the MX and talked skis with my instructor. I‘m hoping The Boot Pro in Ludlow, VT will have them as demos next winter. Such a long wait!
The friend I was skiing with couldn't understand my enthusiasm initially but as the day wore on she got hooked and ended up ordering the MX a couple days later. The next Stockli demo day at Windham will be the Sunday before Christmas, and I will definitely be there!

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For those that have skied both how would you compare the Laser MX with the SC?

2funoutdoors

Diva in Training
Dang, I just bought the Nela 88s. I'm in Idaho so similar conditions to Utah. My ski conditioning coach recommended I go with narrower skis, 80 ish under foot. I guess there is no such thing as I one ski quiver!

coldthrill

Angel Diva
For those that have skied both how would you compare the Laser MX with the SC?
I demoed both in December and ended up getting the SC (156cm) a couple weeks later. I tried the 152 MX first, and as I suspected, it was too short. Later I hopped on the 158 and found it to be the perfect size. (I'm 5'5" and currently 120 lbs.) I liked the ski a lot. It was precise, agile and really fun to ski. I was strongly considering it until I tried the SC. They are very different skis. What stood out to me was the planted nature of the SC. It has the agility of the MX but in a much damper package. It was super compliant, smooth and powerful; I fell in love immediately. Others here have said they find it stiff, but I do not. But the truth may be more that I just prefer greater stiffness in a ski, as they remind me of the skis I learned on as a tween/teen and others i skied in Japan for two years. They were exactly what I was looking for, without quite knowing what I was looking for, if that makes sense. The SC has much more power and really delivers if you like going fast. That is true of the MX as well, but as the SC is heavier and wider, I found them to be more planted and stable. I am an advanced intermediate and by no means find them to be too stiff, too heavy or too expert. The 72mm waist of the SC makes the ski more suitable for a wider range of snow conditions than the MX, which I found a bit tough to maneuver in tracked-out snow. As for turns, the SC will do whatever you want it to; it's by no means just a slalom ski and will rip GS turns beautifully. By contrast, the MX excels more exclusively at short radius turns. The SC is very good on ice when freshly tuned. I didn't encounter much ice on the demo day, though, so can't speak to the MX on that. I tried the SL (165cm; that's all they had) two weeks ago and really, really loved it too. Its edge grip is phenomenal, as are its precision, agility and quickness. Part of me prefers them to the SC but I know that the SC has much more versatility. The friend I mentioned above is a better skier than I am and she prefers the MX. (She got the 158cm and is about 5'2".) The MX has a waist of 67mm, which is very close to the SL's 66mm. I would pick the SL over the MX myself, as it's stiffer, quicker, more and more damp. In the end, I found the MX a bit too lightweight for my taste, which I can only say because I tried the SC. For me, the SC is the perfect one-ski quiver for the East Coast at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly