• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2023 Black Pearl 88, Kenja, Blaze 94W (indoor slope demo night)

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was recently able to get to a demo night at our local indoor slope and thought I would check out the new season skis. It was held by one of the outdoor chain stores and although you had to pay to get in, entry was discounted and the demos themselves were free. There were both skis and snowboards on offer from a number of brands - I saw Burton and Capita there, as well as Rossignol, Volkl, Blizzard and K2.
I took my own skis (2019 Volkl Kenja in 156cm, which is 2 versions ago and full metal) for comparison, as I wasn't sure how much I would be able to determine on the limited terrain available on the indoor slope. Each ski had 2-3 runs and I tried simple drills like pivot slips as well as trying to make a variety of turn shapes. I am a slightly-stuck-being-intermediate skiier, around 5'2" and 115lb, and I generally like metal in my skis.

First demo: Volkl Blaze 94W 165cm. I was curious about this ski because it was a new offering last season from Volkl and a lot more off-piste oriented, but was not really expecting to enjoy this. I found it a little too long for my liking, and it really only wanted to do pivoty short and medium turns. It seemed to be quite forgiving and not unstable with a little speed, but it did not want to even try and carve a longer turn for me. On my second run, the tips bounced off the world's tiniest mound of snow that I couldn't even see and I was like 'nope'. Probably the ski I would compare it to is the Line Pandora 94, for which my demo notes read 'too long, and too soft'. I think this is the same as 2022, the top sheet is nearly identical too. No photo of this one.

Second demo: Volkl Kenja 88 163cm. This year it seems like they updated it to basically be a Secret 88 - reportedly the same carbon tip as the Mantra and also the tailored titanal. I know this is supposed to give it wider appeal but I think it may alienate the usual Kenja market because it isn't as tank-like, solid and damp as previously, which is a shame because there aren't that many stiff all-mountain skis that come in short lengths (especially sub-150) and now it seems like they're removing metal as it gets shorter?!
The rocker line definitely looks longer than on my 2019 model but I can't really recall how it compares to 2020-2022. Much easier turning than the 2019, and easier than I remember 2020 being even at the longer length. I didn't feel any bounciness on what I skiied and it still enjoys being driven, but I'm not sure it'll have the same power through crud and solid mornings. Topsheet is a tiny bit better than the Blaze, but it's like Volkl have given up and just half-assed a new pattern over the same colours. I definitely want to try this one on an actual mountain though, as I may be judging unfairly.

Third demo: Blizzard Black Pearl 88 159cm. Although officially there are tweaks to this line, the rep seemed to think it basically skiied the same as 2021-22 but with a new top sheet. Not that you'd know, because BORING TOP SHEET LIFE has gripped nearly all 2023 skis. I was warned that I might not enjoy it because there's no metal, even though it's stiffer than previous years. Well, I didn't hate it, which is a pleasant surprise. It's much more stable and damp, but still pivot-y. Also wondering if Blizzard are chasing the Santa Ana 88 or the Kenja 88 with these updates, because I know from these forums that the new BP 88 has not found favour with a lot of women who liked the 2020 and earlier versions. Would demo on a real mountain.

Conclusions so far: The SA88, BP88, and Kenja 88 are trying to converge into a single ski, and no-one bothered to pay their graphics designer.

Attachments

• IMG_20220523_195645.jpg
    IMG_20220523_195645.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220523_204100.jpg
    IMG_20220523_204100.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 11

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I was recently able to get to a demo night at our local indoor slope and thought I would check out the new season skis. It was held by one of the outdoor chain stores and although you had to pay to get in, entry was discounted and the demos themselves were free. There were both skis and snowboards on offer from a number of brands - I saw Burton and Capita there, as well as Rossignol, Volkl, Blizzard and K2.
I took my own skis (2019 Volkl Kenja in 156cm, which is 2 versions ago and full metal) for comparison, as I wasn't sure how much I would be able to determine on the limited terrain available on the indoor slope. Each ski had 2-3 runs and I tried simple drills like pivot slips as well as trying to make a variety of turn shapes. I am a slightly-stuck-being-intermediate skiier, around 5'2" and 115lb, and I generally like metal in my skis.

First demo: Volkl Blaze 94W 165cm. I was curious about this ski because it was a new offering last season from Volkl and a lot more off-piste oriented, but was not really expecting to enjoy this. I found it a little too long for my liking, and it really only wanted to do pivoty short and medium turns. It seemed to be quite forgiving and not unstable with a little speed, but it did not want to even try and carve a longer turn for me. On my second run, the tips bounced off the world's tiniest mound of snow that I couldn't even see and I was like 'nope'. Probably the ski I would compare it to is the Line Pandora 94, for which my demo notes read 'too long, and too soft'. I think this is the same as 2022, the top sheet is nearly identical too. No photo of this one.

Second demo: Volkl Kenja 88 163cm. This year it seems like they updated it to basically be a Secret 88 - reportedly the same carbon tip as the Mantra and also the tailored titanal. I know this is supposed to give it wider appeal but I think it may alienate the usual Kenja market because it isn't as tank-like, solid and damp as previously, which is a shame because there aren't that many stiff all-mountain skis that come in short lengths (especially sub-150) and now it seems like they're removing metal as it gets shorter?!
The rocker line definitely looks longer than on my 2019 model but I can't really recall how it compares to 2020-2022. Much easier turning than the 2019, and easier than I remember 2020 being even at the longer length. I didn't feel any bounciness on what I skiied and it still enjoys being driven, but I'm not sure it'll have the same power through crud and solid mornings. Topsheet is a tiny bit better than the Blaze, but it's like Volkl have given up and just half-assed a new pattern over the same colours. I definitely want to try this one on an actual mountain though, as I may be judging unfairly.

Third demo: Blizzard Black Pearl 88 159cm. Although officially there are tweaks to this line, the rep seemed to think it basically skiied the same as 2021-22 but with a new top sheet. Not that you'd know, because BORING TOP SHEET LIFE has gripped nearly all 2023 skis. I was warned that I might not enjoy it because there's no metal, even though it's stiffer than previous years. Well, I didn't hate it, which is a pleasant surprise. It's much more stable and damp, but still pivot-y. Also wondering if Blizzard are chasing the Santa Ana 88 or the Kenja 88 with these updates, because I know from these forums that the new BP 88 has not found favour with a lot of women who liked the 2020 and earlier versions. Would demo on a real mountain.

Conclusions so far: The SA88, BP88, and Kenja 88 are trying to converge into a single ski, and no-one bothered to pay their graphics designer.
I am a long time Kenja lover.
I knew they changed them a lot.
I do not think I will buy them again. I am on my third Kenja. I have 2019 and 2021.
What a bummer.
Thanks for this report!
Well done.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the reviews.

How soon are the mountains in New Zealand likely to open?
June 3rd for the beginner area only on Mt Ruapehu
June 10th for Mt Hutt (Canterbury), 11th for Cardrona (Otago) which will probably be mostly manmade base. I may try and take a quick trip to Mt Hutt in later June since I have a Three Peaks Pass this year.
Then the rest of the big mountains are looking at mid June to early July, all the fields try their hardest to open for the Term 2 school holidays (second and third weeks of July) as that is the biggest money-earner with families going skiing, although the best snow is usually in August and sometimes early September. Closing will be late September to early October, often they try and stay open until the end of Australian Term 3 school holidays which are at different times for different states.
I am a long time Kenja lover.
I knew they changed them a lot.
I do not think I will buy them again. I am on my third Kenja. I have 2019 and 2021.
What a bummer.
Thanks for this report!
Well done.
I think 2023 is very different from 2019, maybe you need to buy the 2022 if you want another Kenja!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
June 3rd for the beginner area only on Mt Ruapehu
June 10th for Mt Hutt (Canterbury), 11th for Cardrona (Otago) which will probably be mostly manmade base. I may try and take a quick trip to Mt Hutt in later June since I have a Three Peaks Pass this year.
Then the rest of the big mountains are looking at mid June to early July, all the fields try their hardest to open for the Term 2 school holidays (second and third weeks of July) as that is the biggest money-earner with families going skiing, although the best snow is usually in August and sometimes early September. Closing will be late September to early October, often they try and stay open until the end of Australian Term 3 school holidays which are at different times for different states.

I think 2023 is very different from 2019, maybe you need to buy the 2022 if you want another Kenja!
I believe 22 is already been changed....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly