• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2020 Nordica 84 vs Yumi

Jackolant9

Diva in Training
Looking at both skis and I wanted to hear about any pros and cons. I have skied for many years, Intermediate/Advanced, 54, 5'3", 130#. Took a few years off and now looking to jump back in. I currently ski on K2 Burnin Luvs from 2009! I live in the North East (Gore Mt./Whiteface), but will be in Colorado in February. So I see a variety. I'm a cruiser for sure but the kids and husband drag me through powder and trees at times. Such a struggle, but I plan on taking a few private lessons to correct my form. Thanks for any feedback!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! A couple questions:

How are your boots? They're even more important than your skis, so that'd be a good place to start.

And are you talking about the Astral 84? The Nordica Santa Ana comes in an 88, and it's great in all sorts of conditions. That might work better for you. Have you demoed? That'd be the way to go, before you make a decision.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

How are your boots? They're even more important than your skis, so that'd be a good place to start.

And are you talking about the Astral 84? The Nordica Santa Ana comes in an 88, and it's great in all sorts of conditions. That might work better for you. Have you demoed? That'd be the way to go, before you make a decision.
I was going to ask the same thing--the Astral? Great ski, but the Santa Ana 88 is a better option for a more "aggressive" skier. They are also really capable in powder, crud, slush, you name it. The Astral is also fun, but it's softer and probably better suited to a lower intermediate who is looking to improve.

The Yumi I haven't skied recently enough to weigh in on. It is definitely going to be more on-par with the SA 88.

Jackolant9

Diva in Training

I just tried on new boots and plan on purchasing Atomic Hawx Prime 95. They were very comfortable! Yes, I’m looking at the Astral 84. I thought jumping from a 70 waist to an 88 was a lot. I didn’t look at the Santa Ana since I thought it would be too much of a ski for me. I haven’t demoed these yet.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking at both skis and I wanted to hear about any pros and cons. I have skied for many years, Intermediate/Advanced, 54, 5'3", 130#. Took a few years off and now looking to jump back in. I currently ski on K2 Burnin Luvs from 2009! I live in the North East (Gore Mt./Whiteface), but will be in Colorado in February. So I see a variety. I'm a cruiser for sure but the kids and husband drag me through powder and trees at times. Such a struggle, but I plan on taking a few private lessons to correct my form. Thanks for any feedback!
Welcome! I'm a little older and more petite. I had the K2 One Luv in 2009. Have changed my all-mountain skis a couple times since then. I still like K2 skis but haven't demo'd the narrower models.

I've taken a few demo runs on the Nordica Astral 84 out west. Found them good for carving on groomers but harder to managed in chopped up powder. I liked the Santa Ana 88 at the March 2019 Sunapee Demo Day a lot more fun. My experience with Volkl Yumi is probably from the older version. While the Yumi was the first Volkl skis that I liked, I think of Nordica skis as more forgiving than Volkl skis in general.

Have you heard much about the Head Joy line? I have the Absolut Joy, 78mm, and also liked the Total Joy, 84mm. But for Joy skis, much better to demo first. People seem to either really like them or really dislike them.

With all the options available that will feel quite different, demo'ing in Dec would be useful. Pretty sure there are demo days in southern VT before Christmas.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I own the Yumi, and years ago I skied the Burnin Luvs at a demo day. From what I remember about the Burning Luvs is they were on the stiffer side and very damp. I think you'll find the Yumis have a decent amount of dampness to them, similar to your Burnin Luvs, but maybe not to the same extent. I find Volkl skis in general to have a bit more energy to them than K2 skis but still damp enough to help smooth things out in crud and chop. I'm not very good at describing things. (sorry! lol) So take that FWIW, if it's of any help at all. I'm 5'1", 105 lbs. and a low-advanced skier.

Can't speak to the Astral or Santa Ana as I've never tried them.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HI! Welcome to the forum. I have a gore/wf/ pass this year maybe we can connect!

Skis are so personal, there are so many. If this is your first trip west I'd take what you ski on and are used to then rent out there if there's a big dump. Your Burning Luvs are a fun ski! K2 has a whole bunch of new skis the Mindbenders. I demo'd them last year. I like a more 'poppy' ski that has zing and zip but they were very very stable and did the job.

My home bump Royal Mt we have an awesome demo day Thurs of Feb Pres week- probably when you are going west? It's never too busy 1 year I demo'd 15 pair of skis!

For me the Volkls aren't my favs but I always try them I am heavier and taller than you, I like to ski my skis.. (I'm on REnoun z-90's, Atomic Cloud 11's) if your BSL (boot sole length is 285 you can try mine!)

The Santa Ana is a nice ski, I don't think I tried the Astrals. The Yumi I over powered it, but all the lighter ladies love it.

I did demo some 76w Liberty skis that were INCREDIBLE this past June (yes June) at Mammoth. Frosty frozen in the am and piles of spring snow in the afternoon they were really fun grippy and fun to carve on the frozen cord and plowed thru piles. Alpin haus sells liberty I'm going to ask if they can bring demo's to demo day this year.

Hope to make some turns with you, I teach and am free with my info if I can help with tips to make anyone more comfortable skiing!

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I did demo some 76w Liberty skis that were INCREDIBLE this past June (yes June) at Mammoth. Frosty frozen in the am and piles of spring snow in the afternoon they were really fun grippy and fun to carve on the frozen cord and plowed thru piles. Alpin haus sells liberty I'm going to ask if they can bring demo's to demo day this year.

Is Alpin Haus in Amsterdam? I think I will call them and see if they have any of last years 76w skis. I don't want to wait til Feb to demo after you told me about them!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is Alpin Haus in Amsterdam? I think I will call them and see if they have any of last years 76w skis. I don't want to wait til Feb to demo after you told me about them!

YES! Right on Rte 30.

MissySki

Angel Diva
A little late to this thread, but I demoed the Nordica Astral 84 today and really really like them. I wasn’t actually expecting much from them and just wanted a mid 80s underfoot ski to check out, but I had a blast on firm groomers zooming around on them. Unfortunately I can’t comment on them in softer snow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly