• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2020 MTB clothing questions

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
I took an 8-9 year break from MTB when I moved out of Michigan and took up horsebackriding and hiking in the ADKs with my dog. Now that I don’t have a horse I can jump anymore I dusted off my MTBs and got back out on the trail this week. I know a lot has changed in the last decade. I am still riding my 26” wheel mtbs and I am happy with them and I am barely 5’2” so I am in no hurry to get new bikes. I still have my old XC team kit (and it fits!). My big question is- is iit still OK to show up at the trailhead in spandex LOL? Or do I need to update my wardrobe ASAP? Thanks divas, I know you won’t steer me wrong.

KWlovessnow

Angel Diva
I personally feel more comfortable in baggy shorts (shredlys are my favorite!). However at the trailhead (I live in Michigan) it seems pretty evenly split between spandex jersey/shorts and baggy shorts/shirts. So, wear what you feel best in.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm not a mountain biker. Tried it doing a 1-day workshop and it's not for me. But just happened to learn of the existence of Kitsbow today. It's a small company that was founded in CA but has ended up in my home state, NC. Pretty cool ideas for mountain bike apparel from what I can tell. What they did more recently was come up with comfortable face masks for outdoor activities.

The author of this Kitsbow blog entry was an avid ski racer and is into back country skiing.

https://www.kitsbow.com/blogs/news/made-in-the-usa-just-in-time

Soujan

Angel Diva
You might get some looks if you show up at the trail head in spandex and a 26" bike. Definitely old skool. I'm 5'2". I ride an x-small 27.5" hardtail.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After showing up at a ladies group ride in my old kit and feeling like everyone had cute stuff not old played team chamois I have added the (not so baggy) but mtb oriented Pearl Izumi 2 layer shorts to the line up but I can’t deal with jerseys that don’t have a full zip and three pockets. And if jerseys are baggy all the stuff in your pockets bounces around on the mtb. I generally don’t like camelbacks because I get hot easily and they fight with the pockets and make your jersey ride up. Really kind of thinking about what you want I think is the way to go. The new lightweight jersey fabrics (I really like the gore c5/c7 and some of the giro fabrics) are really nice! For the cold the Castilli windblock fabrics on the jersey fronts are really nice as compared to the older flap in the wind vests. Even my fav old jerseys don’t see much action these days! For me the inner/outer layer shorts really shine in keeping the mud away from chafing when conditions are wet.

Soujan

Angel Diva
I never used the pockets in the jersey because I don't like things bouncing around so I just use any quick dry shirt. I do use a small Camelbak because I will usually go through at least 1.5 liters of water on a hot day and to hold my keys and phone. To keep my pack a little lighter, I use a velcro strap to hold the tube and tire levers to my frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly