• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2019 Summer biking goals

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I had a bout of momentary insanity a couple of weeks ago, and signed up for the Triple Bypass. I’m not sure what I was thinking! I’ve never had any interest in doing it, but I was all, well, I’ve done Juniper Pass several times, I usually ride it at least a couple of times each summer, and I’ve ridden Loveland Pass before and I hated it, but that was from the other side and riding from Loveland is probably easier, and Vail is the easiest of the three - it’ll only be hard because it’s the last one. So. 120 miles. 10,000 ft of climbing. I haven’t ridden a century (my one and only to date) in a decade. It’s July 13. :rotf:

Anyone else hatching grand summer biking plans - ill-advised or otherwise?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a couple of MTB races I MIGHT do, just for fun. Without age divisions, though, they can be kind of discouraging. Still, I have a new friend who is also 50 and is also a strong rider, so one of the races is a team one of sorts, so I've been tossing around us teaming up and riding it together.

Other than that, just ride as much as I can! With all the snow here, I'm not sure when the fun Wasatch Back trails will ever be ready. A trip to Moab will most likely be in order in a few weeks. Just returned from St. George which was a lot of fun!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
May-Glenwood Canyon and trails from Glenwood Springs to Aspen.
June - Bicycle tour in Illinois.
August - Bicycle tour in Wisconsin.
Sept. - Mickelsen Trail Trek in S. Dakota.

My trainer has already started me on an endurance phase to prepare for these tours.

Tvan

Angel Diva
My goals are small. I want to bike 300 rail trail miles this summer including riding to the driving range with a couple clubs in my backpack.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
May-Glenwood Canyon and trails from Glenwood Springs to Aspen.
June - Bicycle tour in Illinois.
August - Bicycle tour in Wisconsin.
Sept. - Mickelsen Trail Trek in S. Dakota.

My trainer has already started me on an endurance phase to prepare for these tours.

How long are the tours?

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nothing super crazy but my job is somewhat flexible on my hours so Im highly considering commuting by bike to work. 29 miles round trip. Im thinking of starting my shift earlier on the days I ride to avoid traffic. Start like a day or two a week with driving partway and then biking and then building up from there

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How long are the tours?
Illinois and Wisconsin - 6 days, 2 are layover. Approximately 50 miles per day.

Mickelsen Trail Trek is sponsored by the S. Dakota park service. It's a 109 mi ride over 3 days. The trail is an unpaved "rails to trail" trail.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! That’s a lot of long consecutive days on the bike. I hope you have a seat you love!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Such pretty landscapes to ride through. Green green green. We have green locally at the moment, but soon it'll go to tan brown.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! That’s a lot of long consecutive days on the bike. I hope you have a seat you love!
Bike fit and the proper sized saddle makes a huge difference. Last year I tried using the stock saddle that came on my new bike. Kept telling myself I needed more time. Ebentually, I gave up, had the shop put the same saddle on that had been on my other bikes. Wow I immediately felt "home". Unfortunately, Specialized discontinued that saddle. Hope I never need another one.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I bought multiples of the saddle I love; one for each bike. Bought 3 from Specialized. I don't know what I will do when they wear out.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought multiples of the saddle I love; one for each bike. Bought 3 from Specialized. I don't know what I will do when they wear out.
I didn't realize mine were discontinued until I needed one for my new bike. Couldn't find any extras. One bike shop said there were other brands that sell small saddles. Hope he's right.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for reminding me. Last year I searched online and had few choices, ie. discolored white. Looked today found a few more in white. I also found a black model from a bike shop in Chicago, half price with free shipping. :smile:

Last edited:

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Selle Italia Diva on my road bike and I love it like a big lovey thing. The best thing I can say about it is that I can go out for a long, 3-4 hr ride and still be good for Evening Activities later IYKWIM. I can’t think of any higher praise for a bike seat. Past the 4 hour mark there are no guarantees, but I’m not sure there’s a saddle that exists that can do better than that.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I just entered a women's race at Powder Mountain for July 13th. It's about 13 miles, with about 2000 vertical of climbing. I may end up doing it as a team/duo with a friend who also just turned 50. We're both pretty strong riders for 50. :becky:
There's another women's series of races that are a combination of X-country rides and enduro. Debating if I want to do any of those, too. Enduro has not been of much interest to me, as my strength tends to be climbing, but we'll see...one thing that deters me is the lack of age divisions in a lot of races. I'm sorry, but no matter how hard I train or how strong I am, I just don't recover like a 30 or even 40 year old, and I just don't have the strength that someone that age does. What's the point of racing to be competitive if the playing field isn't level? (Well, for fun, sure, but it's still kind of defeating to get your butt handed to you by someone 20 years or more younger.)
In the meantime, Snowbasin is forecast to receive 1-2 FEET of snow today through Thursday. The bike trails won't be dry until June at this rate!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly