• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2016 Völkl Kenja, Yumi and Blizzard Black Pearl

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think what changed for me regarding the Black Pearls is when I changed boots. I was skiing in a pair of relatively soft (for me) Dalbellos with the Black Pearls, and seemed a good combination. However, my knees hurt often. When I switched to a stiffer, higher performance boot, the Black Pearls fell short...I could really, really tell the difference on hard pack. It was very interesting. What confirmed my suspicions was having an instructor in a clinic watch me ski in my new boots and stiffer skis. She had worked with me when I was formerly in my Dalbellos and BP's and she commented on how my skiing had really improved with the new setup. And my knees stopped hurting as much.

The 2016 Kenja is more toned-down; it has rocker that edges towards Black Pearl territory but not within Black Pearl territory. It's a nice compromise between a powerful driver and a fun, playful ski.

I'm not gonna lie, I am looking to replace my Black Pearls with something longer and a bit "stronger" and the 2016 Kenja is seriously on my radar.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I really, really want to try the 2016 Kenja! The 2015 Kenja 170 was a lot of ski for me (5'9", <140)...don't get me wrong, it made me feel like a super hero on hard pack, but it was burlier than I wanted and just a bit "much". The next length down, 163, feels short. Maybe with the rocker and a more playful feel the 170 won't feel quite so much......will keep my eyes open for a demo!

Taking my Yumi's out this saturday for what might be their final mission under me. Who knows I might decide I want to keep them around. I'd love to try the new Kenja also. I will likely ski my last year Kenjas until they fall apart but I am curious as to how the new model feels. My boots are still hanging in there thanks to the last round of adjustment from my boot fitters but I am absolutely getting new boots this October so I'm looking forward to getting a little bit stiffer of a boot and seeing how it changes my skiing. Kenjas at 163cm feel great to me but my Blizzards are 165 and my Elysians are 168 so I think I'm creeping up in length. I don't see the Black Pearl on my demo radar anytime soon, just doesn't seem to be an option at the places I ski.

I'm not gonna lie, I am looking to replace my Black Pearls with something longer and a bit "stronger" and the 2016 Kenja is seriously on my radar.

I am thinking the new Kenja has the softness and fun of the black pearl but the bite and toughness of the Kenja so it seems like a beautiful combination. I bet you are gonna love it.

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really, really want to try the 2016 Kenja! The 2015 Kenja 170 was a lot of ski for me (5'9", <140)...don't get me wrong, it made me feel like a super hero on hard pack, but it was burlier than I wanted and just a bit "much". The next length down, 163, feels short. Maybe with the rocker and a more playful feel the 170 won't feel quite so much......will keep my eyes open for a demo!
Well, you're making me worried. :wink: I demo'ed the 2016 but bought the 2015. I hope the difference weren't too noticeable.

I'm 5'4 & 120. Keeping my fingers crossed I can handle the 2015 Kenja at 163 (especially in moguls). I think I got my work cut out for me. Haha :wink:

Well, you're making me worried. :wink: I demo'ed the 2016 but bought the 2015. I hope the difference weren't too noticeable.

I'm 5'4 & 120. Keeping my fingers crossed I can handle the 2015 Kenja at 163 (especially in moguls). I think I got my work cut out for me. :wink:

Don't worry. I have the 2015 Kenja. I have never tried the 2016 but would like to give it a whirl. I love my 2015 so much that I have no plans to get rid of it. I think you'll be fine with the 2015. Great ski, so versatile and can handle any terrain. I've even had it in close to a foot of powder and it did just fine.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just now saw this thread! I demoed both the Yumi and BP last year, and felt the same about them as ellae. The Yumi was comfortable and I felt like I could ski it just fine, it just wasn't much fun. The BPs were a blast - I didn't want to turn them in. I had been on a short rental before that (K2 Superstition in... 151? 152?), and took a chance and got the 159s. I struggled a bit toward the end of the season last year and was worried I'd bought a little too much ski, but I have been completely in love with my BPs this season. They're the perfect ski for me right now. FWIW, I also demoed the Samba, and I really liked it, but felt like it was a bit too much for me at this point. Maybe in a couple of years... I can grow quite a bit with the BPs, I think!
:ski2:

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sure - I should have done that in my last post! I'm 5'4", abt. 135 lbs. (depending on the day). I never know how to answer the skill level question. Intermediate/advanced? I ski mostly groomers, totally comfortable on groomed blacks in most (Western) conditions. I'm okay off-piste/in the bowls if the snow is decent and it's not too steep (My home mountain is Copper and I'm fine in the Copper bowl, the rest of the back side is iffy). I've ventured into trees a bit and that's definitely a growth area for me. I can get down an easy bumped run but it's not pretty. For the people that I'm around, I feel like that puts me in the solid intermediate range, but when I read on here, it seems to put me in the intermediate/advanced category.

I just wanted to say that I had my Yumi's tuned up by my guy at my local hill and OMG what a difference. It was very hard packed and rather icy on just about all of my local hill this weekend and while I know my Magnums or Kenjas would have been better, the Yumi's held a very respectable edge. I was very impressed. I was skiing faster and more aggressively than normal on hard conditions and the Yumi's held that edge and I felt comfortable enough to let my body "loose" into the turn and entrusted the Yumi's to grab on for the ride and they sure did.

I have decided that even though they do hold a great edge I have some quiver overlap with my Magnums and Kenjas so I think its time I found a new home for them. I am glad I had this past weekend with them because it was their swan song, we had a blast and they earned my trust. I just realized that they are kind of an extra pair of skis at this point but they did me proud and I am glad I bought them but its time............... I have taken some photos and will post them in the sale section of the forum.

ellae

Certified Ski Diva
Wow, after reading all of these Yumi reviews, I feel like I may have been on a bad/worn/beat set - or maybe they just hadn't been tuned well.

Regardless, and I think everyone else here would agree, you have to find what's right for you. The more I ski my BPs, the more I am assured that they're the right ski for me. I would recommend them highly, but I would recommend demoing more highly :smile:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly